Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS200 Cue to Switch Between 2D/3D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DSS200 Cue to Switch Between 2D/3D
Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2010 04:29 PM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to figure out how to get the Dolby DSS200 server to automatically switch to 2D or 3D for shows. Right not the only way I can get it to switch is to make sure a show is completely stopped then click the little drop-down box and choose 2D or Dolby 3D. It seems like that is something a cue should be able to do.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2010 05:10 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think that this is possible.

You can only switch from 2D to 3D when the player is stopped.
If I'm correct it has something to do with the colorspace of the output signal.

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2010 05:24 PM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

Do you know if there is a way to have a show set up so that it does the switch automatically at the start of the show?

I am not interested in switching during a show (e.g. showing a 2D preview in 2D and then going to a 3D preview in 3D).

What I want to have happen is for a scheduled show to automatically to choose the correct 2D/3D setting. I'm fine if it isn't a cue that I can load in to the show to switch from 2D to 3D on the fly. It seems like that should be an automation setting available somewhere, though.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-10-2010 07:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can give you a solid NO on this.

I can also assure you that there are MANY of us that want the 2D/3D thing to be definitely automatable and I also want it to have the OPTION of being Automatic. That is, if there is a feature "clip" that is 3D, then the "show" is presumed to be 3D, otherwise, the show is 2D. Again, I want this as an Option (auto 3D) so you could still have the ability to manually select how you want it to play.

But as of version 4.2.1 (current version), the 2D/3D thing is totally manual.

Steve

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2010 07:51 PM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. That certainly is discouraging to hear. Let's hope they get something so basic in there real soon.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 03:37 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That and beeing able to output signals for 4K image.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-11-2010 09:24 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last I heard on the 4K front is to use a media block in the projector (IMB). This is why the "link" cable is external...when they are ready for 4K...remove the link cable and then connect the player's Link output to the IMB in the projector.

Steve

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2010 12:03 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only TRICK you could do if you have a DFC100 and use Dolby 3D is to place a cue on the server to raise the filter wheel up when playing 2D content. Is NOT a correct solution but it will work considering you have at least 1 3D clip in your playlist for that will cause the server to play at 48fps.
Demetris

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2010 09:29 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we are are to do this by programming our Cinex 20 to control all the projector macros as a part of the automation trigger list.

I program up the Cinex to run its own macros as default preshow default presessions then select the right macro for the DCP show and away we go press one button and the entire show runs.

The Cinex switches projector inputs and sound inputs and can play its own 1.3k files as well as control the automation and DCP server.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-12-2010 10:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't really a "Trick" since you are still in "3D" mode on the server and in the case of Dolby 3D...you have the color offsets wrong. You are also in 4:2:2 space rather than the proper 4:4:4.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-13-2010 06:14 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you really hand out 3D glasses to the entire auditorium for a single 3D CLIP?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-13-2010 10:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
It isn't really a "Trick" since you are still in "3D" mode on the server and in the case of Dolby 3D...you have the color offsets wrong. You are also in 4:2:2 space rather than the proper 4:4:4.
Yet I would say 90% of all Dolby servers running 2D content are being operated exactly this way. [Frown]

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 06-25-2012 05:33 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 650 days since the last post.

Drew Daniluck
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2012 05:33 PM      Profile for Drew Daniluck   Email Drew Daniluck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is about 2 years old now, does anyone know if Dolby has released an update for this yet?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2012 06:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite awhile ago actually. Just upgrade to 4.3.x.x or higher and you will have auto 3D selection.

Keep in mind if you are on a VPF program, you must be on 4.4.0.48 or higher or you could lose VPFs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: