Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Digital Cinema...Knee pads not included. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Digital Cinema...Knee pads not included.
Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2010 10:09 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of at least 2 theatres that we service, both installed in the past 2-3 years and both lacking the typical projection booth. It's just a D cinema projector up there, all by itself in a small cubby space. In order to access it you crawl in through the port window or through an access panel. The projector sits on the floor and you get to crawl around on your hands and knees to service it. The control panel and servers are in another completely seperate room.

I realize that might not be anything new to a lot of you, but that was my day today.

Oh goody.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-08-2010 10:18 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading one of those "prediction" articles a while back which said that "the balcony" would make a comeback, since that space wouldn't be needed for a booth anymore, and the projector would just hang from the ceiling.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-08-2010 11:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Changing bulbs sounds like loads of fun.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2010 11:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I have 4 machines installed in tiny rooms like that.

Less than half a year later 2 of them have had catastrophic light engine failures.

The real failure is the bonehead that thought it was a good idea to throw a heat generating piece of electronic equipment into a tiny room that can't allow the machine to breathe.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-09-2010 12:42 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..as long as you got three feet from the rear end of the machine to the back wall, doing a bulb change is still easy.

Brad, when you told them on the poor cooling that caused these failures, what was their response, or did they just ignored it ....

-Monte

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 12:59 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my case I could barely fit between the wall and the lamp door to the Christie ZX I was working on. There was just enough room to completely open the lamp door, remove it, then get in there and replace the igniter.

As long as you have proper ventilation both into and out of the space, it's not really a problem.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-09-2010 01:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy - to counteract your comment, no HVAC system is perfect, and few seem to be properly designed for the room and the load. Sooner or later the system WILL die. Its like a hard drive. Its not if it will die, but when. At that point the booth heats up like a son-of-a-bitch and failures start to happen. That is exactly what happened to us.

(And no, the HVAC design was not mine.)

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 02:22 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with you Brad.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-09-2010 06:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which...how many of you all change your filters as often as you should (once per lamp change)? I've seen projectors (not serviced by us) CHOKED with crud...I'm amazed the projector didn't go out on thermal protection.

Same goes for the servers...there are no filters on those things and they have fans blowing air every which way. Why do these idiots (all rack mount devices, except QSC) blow air INTO the rack rather than blow it out? And why do these same idiots not filter ALL air that is moving. Without a filter, a fan is a "dirt pump."

-Steve

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-09-2010 06:56 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't these projectors and servers have internal temperature monitors? If so, it should be pretty trivial to set up a monitoring system that will tell the manager (or service technician) when something is wrong before things start breaking.

Alternatively, lots of companies make thermostats that could be installed in these "booths" and set off alarms (through contact closures, SNMP, or some other means) when a predefined limit is exceeded. This stuff is standard in a data-center environment. It should be standard in the "booth of the future" as well.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-09-2010 11:56 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0zZttfUaw

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-09-2010 01:20 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the joys of D-Crapema continue.... [Big Grin]

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 02:27 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and they may never end [Frown]

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 03:38 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that most roof-top-units are not really designed for cooling an electronic environment. There are very little, if any, humidity controls. Additionally, the coils are designed for a higher proportion of latent cooling, instead of a higher proportion of sensible cooling.

If the environment is critical, then a precision cooling approach should be designed. There are several options that would work for the mini-booth designs that could work, such as Liebert's Mini Mate 2 which would use up no floor space in the enclosure.

Additionally these can be remotely manged and monitored.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2010 02:27 AM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I had the good fortune to visit our other "cubby hole" theatre. I was called out due to a dmd over temp error. As it turns out, the coolant block on one of the dmd's had developed a leak. This is a Christie M machine that we installed about 3 months ago. We will be pulling the machine out in order to work on it. What a pain. I have not had a single film related call all week, but 3 separate D-Cinema issues.

[puke]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: