Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Does anyone have suggestions for Serial adapters for new laptops?

Author Topic: Does anyone have suggestions for Serial adapters for new laptops?
Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2010 09:21 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a brand new dell with windows 7 on it. It has one of those express card slots as well as 4 usb ports. I need to find an adapter to interface with equipment RS232 style. Any suggestions? The crappy usb to serial adapter that I got does not work with CP650's which is half of my problem. I believe though I got what paid for on that one since it was way cheap. So I'm looking for something that will actually work. Any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-07-2010 09:27 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I am using the Keyspan USB to serial adapter and it works great with all the Dolby and QSC hardware I have encountered so far.

Here's a link to one supplier, do a Google search and you might find it cheaper: (though this is where I got mine)

LINKY

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2010 10:40 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aten USB to serial adapter - even works with THX R2 analyzer

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-07-2010 11:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Keyspan is one of the best I've found on the USB->RS232 front. However, I have run into situations (particularly in A/V stuff) where it chokes. I like the SocketCom PCMCIA serial adapters (if your puter has that slot). They behave like hard serial ports and are high speed. Never had it choke.

Steve

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-08-2010 01:32 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, even some of the new laptops are void of the PC slot now ... like floppy drives: a thing of the past ...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2010 03:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I use...

Dell legacy port extender

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-08-2010 06:49 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Express Card slots, unlike the older PCMCIA, PC-Card, etc. slots carry only PCI-Express and USB signals. It's quite unlikely that someone builds a serial card using the PCI-E interface. So, with ExpressCard, you will have the same driver/interface as with external USB-Serial converters, a standard plain vanilla USB-Serial bridge.

I would simply try different brands until you find one that works. Actually there are more possible issues than just the brand or type of converter. Usually the problem is on the application side, not being able to access virtual com ports or higher port numbers. Windows7 will not make things easier on the driver side. Keyspan is certainly a good choice.

Dell still sells notebooks with 'real' COM ports.
Sometimes it is better to buy a phased out second hand XP business notebook for 100-200 US$ with a real COM for this type of work.

- Carsten

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2010 07:59 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There might have been a driver that came with the USB to RS232 adaptor, try running that. If no driver came with it, try finding one.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-09-2010 08:33 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Quatech SSP-100-G PCMCIA serrial port and have had no issues which was not the case with the USB ones

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 09:08 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the best converters, even for fussy devices that aren't really RS232, are based on the FTDI FT232 chips. I've got some no-name converter off of eBay that uses this chip and it works great.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: