Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » trailers for old films on video?

Author Topic: trailers for old films on video?
James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2010 08:00 PM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are going to be running a midnight film series here. I'm going to play the films from DVD/Blu-ray since most of the films people want us to play are no longer available on 35mm film in Canada.I'm playing movies like Monty Python and The Shining.

I'd like to play trailers for some of the upcoming midnight movies, does anyone know of a place to get trailers for older movies that I could burn to a DVD or something?
I know most of them would be on youtube but that could be awkward trying to show them and keeping a professional atmosphere.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-07-2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect your best source would be the DVD's/Blu Rays themselves. Many come with the original trailers.

If you're not overly concerned about image quality, IMDB has many trailers for old movies.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2010 04:46 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what? you can't run the shining in 35mm in canada? what the hell?

James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2010 09:24 AM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I played the only remaining 35mm print of The Shining in Canada it was nothing but shades of red and pink. A Clockwork Orange is so splicy as to be unplayable in my opinion.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-09-2010 12:13 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YouTube.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 01:18 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, youtube is a great source. There is free DCP conversion software out there (if your playing it off a dci compliant player)

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 05:55 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on... don't tell this guy to run stuff off of YouTube. That will look like CRAP.

If you're going to do it right, rip the trailers off of the DVDs and put together a playlist from there. And if you want to compensate for not having film, class it up by sticking some custom snipes and daters in, too.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-09-2010 06:59 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack

You Tube has much better res videos on it nowadays. You just have to look for them.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-09-2010 10:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did this once, before YT started doing high-res video. I downloaded the FLV file and burned it to a DVD, which I then projected on a 25' (roughly) wide cinema screen. To my surprise, it was not hideously bad, and was actually watchable, even at that size. This was for a B&W trailer; I don't know if color would hold up as well.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 10:56 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know with a number of horror/sci-fi titles from the '50s and '60s that I considered doing the same thing with, I've found that they always look pretty dismal to my eye. My concern is always compression artifacts in the shadow areas (even at their 480 or HD settings). Going from the DVD will reduce any quality issues.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2010 01:32 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of 420p/720p/1080p trailers available on Youtube now.

Played a couple in our lab and had respectable results.

I use them on my 120in screen at home all the time and it looks great right up close.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2010 01:33 AM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once you have the trailers, don't bother converting back to dvd as a compilation, the quality will be a little worse. Stick them on a flash drive and buy something like the WD Media Player. That thing will play pretty much any video there is.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: