Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Function of UPS on Barco projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Function of UPS on Barco projector
Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2010 02:53 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody,

I don't understand what is the function of the Uninterruptible Power Supply on Barco's projector. Barco user guide of DP 2K-20C doesn't help... Could anyone give me some explanations because it's really not clear for me. Is it really useful ?

Thank you very much for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-29-2010 02:59 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It backs up the electronics ONLY. That is, if you have a power blip...the lamp will go out but the electronics will remain running like nothing happened. If you program the Barco correctly (I believe under the "installation" menu), it will reignite the lamp once power is restored too.

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2010 04:53 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your quick and clear answer steve !

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2010 04:54 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this feature available on earlier version Barco's? i.e. DP100, DP1500 etc?

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-12-2010 10:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it started with the DP2K series...they have the AC for the electronics on a separate IEC connector.

I think Christie beat everyone on this feature (UPS).

Now it may be that the auto-reignite is possible on the earlier projectors with current software...I'm not sure.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-12-2010 11:25 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this feature started late on the series one DP1200, 1500, and 2000.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-12-2010 11:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too sure on that Sam...I put in a DP2000 in December 2009...that is pretty late in the run and the feature was not there...I think I saw the feature in the software (Communicator) to have the lamp return to the previous state upon power up though.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 09-13-2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely saw series one with UPS at 2009 trade shows in Hong Kong and Amsterdam. Maybe they never made it to cinemas but I'm pretty sure a few did. Does not really matter though except for purposes of debate.

Chase Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 02:45 PM      Profile for Chase Taylor   Author's Homepage   Email Chase Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put in two DP-1200 in June 2009 that had it, but I never saw a 1500, or 2000 with it.

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2010 08:34 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me I think it is a waste for the UPS supply to tie in with the Barco. and no the lamp will not relite after a power blip. I am totally against it having them in my DP100. First the UPS will run a self test every two weeks, so if a show is running strange things will happen with the video switcher and the doremi server. I had many calls to resume playback on a show that "paused" or 'no picture' because of the self test. So I do a manual self test on each of the units outside our showtimes (like 9 AM on a given day or right after a power blip). Still I have two units that still act up on it's own. Second, is the batteries, they last two years before they are replaced. If you ignore the warning (and the burning smell) these batteries will go dead and even on AC power the unit will not work at all to run the server and whatever is plugged in. Make sure you have a good power strip as a backup, you'll need it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-14-2010 05:53 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It true that in a lot of places, UPS cause more problems than they solve. If you do not already experience power drops once in a while during shows, it's simply better to just avoid them. The only drop outs my computer ever experienced was due to UPS issues, not power outages.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-14-2010 09:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does depend on your power in the area...also the UPS' you have. Ours do not self-test randomly. And if they did...since they are sine wave out and have a zero transfer time...none are the wiser (including the equipment).

The current Barcos will self-reignite the lamp too.

Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-14-2010 04:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joseph Pandolfi
... Second, is the batteries, they last two years before they are replaced. If you ignore the warning (and the burning smell) these batteries will go dead and even on AC power the unit will not work at all to run the server and whatever is plugged in. Make sure you have a good power strip as a backup, you'll need it.
Well surprise Joseph, like any other hi-tech gear a UPS regardless of brand WILL need regular maintenance and checkups. If you have learned that the batteries only last two years, why aren't you scheduling replacements in advance? Batteries are cheap compared to lost shows and/or equipment damage from power issues, which any QUALITY UPS will prevent. (BTW, any vendor who puts a cheap UPS in such expensive gear as a DLP machine deserves a swift kick in the nads.)

Again, those who think DLP is a "set it and forget it" proposition are seriously deluded.

A "power strip" is not in any way shape or form a "backup" to anything.

Regular maintenance would have prevented the issues you experienced.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 11-21-2012 07:11 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 799 days since the last post.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2012 07:11 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of UPS back-up power... how big and how much does it need to power. We're putting in Barco DP2k-23B's with GDC SX2000A servers. What all should be hooked up to the UPS and what size UPS should I be looking at?

I have a quote that includes a Tripplite Smart 1500 - but I have no idea if it's big enough to do the job.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: