Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Lamp failure on Christie CP2000-ZX

Author Topic: Lamp failure on Christie CP2000-ZX
Nate Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2010 11:56 AM      Profile for Nate Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Nate Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are running 2 Christie CP-2000 ZX's with Christie CD-XL 30 bulbs for Dolby 3D. These work great for 3D movies but whenever we switch to a regular non-3D movie, we have been experiencing intermittent lamp failures. These usually occur when first starting the movie, but sometimes happen during the feature.

I have tried to compensate by increasing the lamp current and that seems to help, but doesn't completely solve the issue.

Has anyone heard of this happening? And if so, any solutions?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2010 12:25 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the lamps failing or just going out? can you re-strike? Perhaps your installer set the current in your 2D macros too low to keep them lit. I'm assuming that the Christie can have different current settings.

Nate Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2010 01:11 PM      Profile for Nate Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Nate Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can re-strike them after clearing the error code on the display. I had the same thought about the macros being too low so I've kicked up the current, but I didn't know if there was something I could or should be doing.

Thanks.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2010 04:59 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the error code?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-27-2010 06:01 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is the current setting for 2D?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-28-2010 01:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, bulb run for 2D should be, at least, 70% of the maximum amperage. Otherwise, you're killing the bulb with running it so low.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-28-2010 12:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure about your error code... could be a mis-strike from running a higher wattage lamp at too low of current. If your screen is a dedicated 3-D house and you need to run 2-D for up to say two to three weeks then I reccomend just placing a ROSCO neutral density filter in the port for the duration to bring things to the correct 2-D light level. Switching out a high wattage lamp to go to a lower wattage for 2-D and then re-installing the high wattage lamp may proove to be more detrimental to the life span of the lamp than any other single factor.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-28-2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If current is too low for cold-striking the lamps, maybe you could use two current-set macros for 2D. Strike them with a similiar current as for 3D, then let them stabilize for a few seconds, then reduce.

- Carsten

Nate Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2010 06:32 PM      Profile for Nate Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Nate Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I misspoke when I said error code. The red warning light flashes on the projector and the display reads 'unexpected failure'. I have kicked up the current like Monte suggested and haven't had any issues since.

Thanks you all for the input. I appreciate it.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-29-2010 09:22 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And... what was the previous 2D lamp setting?

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2010 11:47 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like your lamp per channel settings are too low for 2D. I've seen them set at 100% in 3D and as low as 45% for 2D. That can cause problems with the lamp staying lit.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2010 12:40 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
45%
Somebody needs to be knocked out! [Mad]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: