Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Do you always run a test screening? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you always run a test screening?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-25-2010 10:07 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do digital operators ALWAYS run a test screening? What kind of problems crop up? So far we haven't had any troubles but we're only on our 6th digi-movie so I'm just wondering what might crop up.

With last week's show our key got delayed somehow and by the time we got it, I couldn't work a test show into my schedule (due to day job) but luckily, everything went fine.

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2010 12:30 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cinemas I service usually ran a test for the trailer portion until the feature starts and check that everything in the Macro assingment is configured correctly. That is the extend of the test. So far we had not have any issues with `damanged` feature files. Only had one issue with a faulty hard drive but that showed up on loading the feature.
Demetris

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2010 01:54 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally we still screen them, but if for some reason we get one that no one wants to watch we''ll just run through the trailers and make sure that the KDM actually works and then shut it down.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2010 05:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, no pre-screenings and no problems either. I have come across 2 bad hard drives so far in my digital travels (2 years worth). Both times they were those awful Deluxe USB-only craptacular drives and as expected, the issue turned up during ingestion. Since most digital drives show up no later than 2 days prior, it gave us enough time to call in for a replacement drive.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2010 05:22 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tiny test run, yes. About ten minutes into the feature so that we can be sure the sound level is good and that every cue is where it should be. That's it.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 08-26-2010 06:15 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On our you-beaut eC2 eCinema system we do an ingest and then a seek/recover scan through the feature program including the end credits until the final card.

Have had 2 files crap out midway through but luckily none for about 6 months.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2010 06:16 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Just the first few minutes of the feature.
Checking for letterbox trailers that can run with a scope feature.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2010 04:33 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure wish everybody would (Of course that would make my job far easier)I don't expect it with digital though.

I think that a basic playout (Making sure the keys open content) is a must for anyone who cares about their presentation.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2010 01:44 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always forward to the end credits. This accomplishes two things: verifies where to put the lights up cue and shows that the files plays.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-08-2010 01:50 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We do full test run screenings since it's required by the company and that includes 35mm runs as well prior to opening day.

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2010 10:16 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I have to do a screening by myself and pressed for time, then I would run it up to the first 20 minutes of the feature to make sure that trailers are run properly (format, 2D, 3D, matting etc.) Then I would check the last 15-20 minutes of the feature to make sure the credits cue work perfectly (I am very fussy about that and have to change about half of the features). If it is a big blockbuster (Avatar, IM2) then I have no choice but to run a full screening.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-01-2010 09:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for the replies.

Now here's another question: Hard drives come with a letter asking you to fax it back, call, or e-mail the depot saying your content was ingested and/or test-screened. Do you respond to those?

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-02-2010 12:31 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

If there is a problem with said drive THEN they will get a response.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2010 02:03 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmh, we don't get those. Not to my knowledge. If so, then dropping an email to ease someone's nerves is easy and quick to do, why not do it?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-02-2010 12:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not required for us, for it looks like more of a survey, or trying to be a "big brother" of sorts.

..just like that trailer list that comes in the film cans (boxes) of trailers that comes with new prints that needs to go on the prints-we don't look at them either.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: