Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Speed control

Author Topic: Speed control
Gary Jarvis
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2010 10:00 PM      Profile for Gary Jarvis   Email Gary Jarvis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must be honest in that I know very little about video projection but, I have a friend of a friend who has a couple of Christie M series, before I call and possibly make an idiot of myself I just wanted to know if there's a way that one can speed up video to say 180p fps from 60p fps.

I have tried in various video software by trying to convert the speed only, the frames keep having babies! i.e. from 60 to 120 1 get 60 extra frames.

I know it probably sounds crazy (what nut wants to run 120) Me.

Thanks and all the best

Gary

|  IP: Logged

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2010 12:28 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, if your existing video is 60 progressive frames per second now, that means it has 60 frames for every second of video. If you want 120 progressive frames per second, the software has to add an additional 60 frames of material, otherwise your video would actually run twice as fast. I assume you want the video to play normally, but with a higher frame rate.

It might help if you explained what result you're trying to get.

Victor Liorentas
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2010 03:20 AM      Profile for Victor Liorentas   Email Victor Liorentas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THIS IS A PERFECT time to say Mr 2001 Showscan Douglas Trumbull is back and has a new website which everyone should check out because it is very interesting even if [dlp] is very much a part of it.
He has been very silent for decades so it is a pleasant surprise!

120 fps what?

douglastrumbull.com

Gary Jarvis
Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2010 06:33 AM      Profile for Gary Jarvis   Email Gary Jarvis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
actually David I am working on a process and a lot of the frames are animated and as you said, "otherwise your video would actually run twice as fas" Yep, that what I want it to do.

Nice website Victor! Couldn't get any of the video's to work! I guess that's part of the dust settling.

Yep as I mentioned to David I'm adding my own frames and to get my effect I want to have control of film speed, Just as I presume it was with film in the old days.

So back to my original request is there a way other than changing the fps where, I can control the speed of the video

Have a good day all

Gary

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-21-2010 09:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...we could make the site available for all to see .... - Monte

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-25-2010 06:47 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>So back to my original request is there a way other than changing the fps where, I can control the speed of the video

Certainly not in the projector.

There are software players (Quicktime Player, VLC, etc.) that can adjust the playback speed dynamically. However, it depends on what you want to achieve - usually the graphics card and the projector will not allow more than 60fps 'effective' framerate.
So if the player speeds playback up to 120fps - the graphics card and projector will simply skip about every second frame. The effective framerate is not dynamically adjustable between graphics card and projector, you can only set it to a specific choice of combinations. Usually the effective framerate is 60fps on most consumer projectors. Some '3D Ready' DLP beamers can do 'real' 120Hz. So 'real 120fps' seems to be the maximum framerate you can get with consumer grade equipment.

DCI systems will probably not go higher than real 60fps. But other than consumer grade beamers, they will show lower speed timings like 24/25/30fps with their 'real' framerates and not upconverterd to 60Hz like consumer beamers.

DLP based DCI-3D projectors can display 'real' 144Hz - but only internally tripled from 48Hz sources, not input-to-output.

- Carsten

Gary Jarvis
Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2010 09:11 AM      Profile for Gary Jarvis   Email Gary Jarvis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the double threading!

At the moment I am interweaving manually, saving as a QT then saving as sequences, at which point I am importing the sequences into Premiere pro as non speed defined frames. My next task is to create a speed.

I am in the event/concert industry, one of the companies I work with has a bunch of Christie "M" series, I understand they have 3 dlp chips but have know idea of what they can do, yet.

I have seen some of the 3d units out there but, are they real 120 p fps I have seen some of the video clips and they are with left and right eye pics in the same frame, one above the other and state 120 fps only, I think that is 60 fps per eye where they show the double image/frame frame as interlaced, then by wearing the glasses each eye see's a different field. I may be wrong and if so please correct me..

"DLP based DCI-3D projectors can display 'real' 144Hz - but only internally tripled from 48Hz sources, not input-to-output.
" First is it real 144hz i.e. 144 p fps. how do they triple internally? who manufactures the projectors?

Hey Carsten David thanks for the progressive response

GAry

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-28-2010 05:43 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, so you are into 3D/stereo?

- most consumer grade beamers will only accept or display 'real' 60Hz. You can do time-sequential 3D with them, but only with a very annoying 30Hz stereo rate.
- the mentioned 3D-Ready beamers will accept 120Hz, thus can do 60Hz L/R flip rate
- DCI-Projectors, that is, real D-Cinema projectors, typically will accept up to 60Hz from 3D enabled servers or graphics cards. They have a choice of different 3D configuration options. E.g. in a standard cinema 3D setup, they will accept a 48Hz input L/R sequence and produce a 144Hz LR-LR-LR stereo sequence to minimize L/R flicker. But these projectors won't accept 144Hz signals at the input, it's only tripled internally.
- the same machines, to my knowledge, will accept a 60Hz input from a computer and, instead of 144Hz triple flash, can be setup to do 120Hz doubleflash. To my knowledge, with current DLP technology, 180Hz tripleflash is not possible, hence the doubleflash.

These systems cost 40.000 to 70.000 Euro in a typical D-Cinema context. You might want to contact the manufacturers (Christie, Barco, NEC) to check wether their professional non-DCI 'beamers' (like Christie M-Series) might have similiar options. But these machines will still cost 15.000-40.000 Euro I guess, while 3D-Ready consumer grade beamers go from 600 Euro. As both will do 120Hz stereo rate, a cheap 3D-Ready beamer might be nice for production and previewing, while a 120Hz enabled professional machine could be used for presentation.

That would also allow a hassle-free NTSC/30Hz/60Hz/120Hz compatible editing work flow, since most editing will be done on 60Hz computer displays, at least in your area I guess (Guys, I DO know that NTSC is 29,97 ;-)

All I said is for viewing with shutter glases, that is, glases that will cover every other frame in a L/R sequence. There are other systems as well, polarizing glases, or Infitec filters. Depends on production and viewing conditions wether they could be a better option. Shutter systems currently are easier to get and setup - basically, you buy a 3D-Ready beamer and shutter glases for <1000US$ and off you go. Polarizing glases will probably be better for larger audiences, because they are a lot cheaper (disposable). But a ploarizing setup is more complicated and needs a dedicated metalized ('silver') screen. However, you can get away with 30/60Hz signals in some situations, since a parallel polarizing projetion setup does not need to do double/triple flashing.

Note that 3D signal storage/transmission and 3D display might be different - you can transfer a 24fps stereosequence either sequentially as a 48fps L-R signal, or, as common in the upcoming homecinema 3D systems, as a 24fps side-by-side or over-under 'BigFrame' format. However, the display or projector then decides how to deal with these signals depending on it's 3D display technology.
Typical consumer 3D-LCDs or plasma screens e.g. will accept a side-by-side base rate signal and create a double-rate image display from them.

So, there is no straight relation between 3D signal composition and 3D display technology. The mentioned 3D ready beamers will only accept a direct 120Hz sequence, no 'BigFrames' or side-by-side. This will probably change soon.

Oh well, there's more to say, but I'll stop for now ;-)

- Carsten

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-29-2010 04:34 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...also, have a look at this stereoscopic player:

http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: