Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » The "I hate digital" rant thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The "I hate digital" rant thread
Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please place all "I hate digital" comments here so you don't have to comment every time someone has a problem with their digital projection equipment.

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 04:46 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i hate digital.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-14-2010 08:31 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate digital because it causes people to think that making movies, pictures and multimedia is easy, it doesn't take any real work to do it and that any idiot can do it.

Then they try it and fuck it all up. I have to come in and clean up their mess and it looks like it's all my fault.

Digital projectors need to be fitted with some kind of difficult-looking controls. It should be a series of complicated buttons and knobs that have to be adjusted just the right way or else the system won't work.

That way, most people will keep their cotton-picking hands off and those who don't can be punished for tinkering.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 08-14-2010 09:13 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea! Back To Vinyl!

This is the right forum for this, isn't it? [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-14-2010 02:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MArtin.... You're close... just think Vitaphone instead!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-14-2010 02:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It degrades the job down from "film handler" to "button or touch screen" pusher...

..but at least, you don't hear the repetitive 24FPS film chatter when you'r in a room with 8 machines going all at once..0

-Monte

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 04:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has forced me to wake up from my 20+ years of being in film coma to make me ask "what will happen to this place after I am gone?" . . .

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 06:08 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital is just a fad. 0 = nothing, 1 = very close to nothing.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-14-2010 07:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matt Fields
Please place all "I hate digital" comments here so you don't have to comment every time someone has a problem with their digital projection equipment.
Screw that, I'm still gonna comment on the stupidity of D-Crapema in any and all applicable threads. [Big Grin] [Razz]

And yes I hate digital. [bs] [dlp]

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it was worth a shot! [Wink]

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2010 09:40 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nail in the coffin will be the first big studio picture distributed solely on a digital format.

I don't hate digital cinema but I do hate 3-D, which I pray is nothing more than a fad.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 01:21 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, the new "restoration" of metropolis is only being distributed digitally, on blu-ray apparently. i hear reports of artifacting and freeze-frames galore.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 02:11 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot say I hate digital because I like to embrace all possibilities the Digital offers that film cannot and vice versa. I find film installations more challenging than Digital and I always believe that film rules. But we cannot close our eyes to the emerging technology. We find Digital threating to our profession.

In a summary.... digital is good but not as good as film YET.

Demetris

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 02:45 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference is that the introduction of sound early last century, and CinemaScope in the middle, involved massive investments that paid off. They made a massive difference to the cinema experience.

The punters are not plonking down dollars to see a movie because it is shot and/or projected digitally. They buy The Concept. That can be a great story, a special event or Avatar 3D. Sometimes The Pitch can be The Concept … Arnold and Danny - Twins. Poitier - Guess Who's Coming To Dinner.

D-cinema is about saving money for film studios/distributors, so it is inevitable. The challenge for exhibitors is to design methods of saving or making money from such a large investment.

I am not sure about the alternative content route; after all, if distributors are footing part of the conversion bill, they will want their product unspooling through the projector as often as possible.

There will be space savings in new builds because there will be no need for a platter, rewind bench or print storage. There will also be staff savings; this is where single screen operators will win. The multis are already operating on minimum staff - that is why they exist. Our experience with e-cinema shows us that we can operate with the tech guy on the door. He has to be in the booth at start time for a film show (OK, he doesn't HAVE to be but we insist on it). So he can do double duty and have contact with the paying customers.

There is also the possibility of flexible programming. Holding on to a film print for subsequent limited screenings can be lucrative. We have done this with independent films; validated with an e-mail to the distributor, with advantages to both parties. Whether the majors would trust us with such a proposition is debatable.

The bottom line is that home cinema is capable of better image and sound than the prints or files will deliver to our audience. So cinemas should be showing 70mm Vision Premiere prints. The cost of converting to that model is about half of converting to d-cinema. This is not going to happen.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-15-2010 10:34 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Metcalfe
The nail in the coffin will be the first big studio picture distributed solely on a digital format.

And a studio would do this because....? Every screen, no matter the format MAKES THEM MONEY. When they open their tentpole titles hoping to make that 50, 60, 70 million in a single weekend, that takes every screen they can get their product onto. You make money by making your product available to as many of the buying public as possible, be it movies or baked beans. You don't make money by saying, "Oh, am not going to put my baked beans in that super market because I don't like the shelves they use. You FIGHT to put your product on as many shelves as possible.

Until the cost of making and distributing prints is more than the potential for earned income by that print, the studios will still sell their product using film as well as hard drives. And please remember, the rest of the world is also part of the equation -- in poorer countries with worse economies (are there ANY countries nowadays with economies that are worse than ours?), they may be needing film prints for quite some time out.

And I admit, everyone seems to have his own pet take on the life of film vs digital, but it's all based on alchemy -- saying that film will last for the next 50 years or that it will be gone sooner rather than later, is all pure speculation and one guy's guess is as facetious as the next.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: