Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » sattellite recivers for cinemas

Author Topic: sattellite recivers for cinemas
Hordur Valgardsson
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 07:30 PM      Profile for Hordur Valgardsson   Author's Homepage   Email Hordur Valgardsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all
i belive i asked a question some time ago in a seperate thread that never really went anywere and the discussion involved more about scalers and optical sound.
so i wanted to create a specific post about suitable satellite receviers for cinema systems.

currently we are using topfield reciviers that are designed for home cinemas and now since live events are starting to grow even more i am looking for a more professional solution.

so here are the basic things i am wondering about that might be good

- how to handle recording, does a professional box with a built in recording and playback exist or would we always need a seperate box for this ?
- rack mounted
- hdmi or dvi output
- SDI output would also be nice as an option although our current projectors already have the sdi ports in use.
- network connectable
- 3d compatible so when the time comes it will be possible to display live 3d broadcasts
- optical or coax sound output for DMA8

probably some other stuff i am forgetting but probably get were i am going with this, we definatly need to stop using these home cinema reciviers since live events will only grow.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-10-2010 04:50 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hordur,

Was it you who had an audio problem with a sattelite system a few months ago? If so, did you manage to resolve it?

I agree that the equipment which is being installed in cinemas for this purpose isn't really up to the job, at least the ones that I've seen. Unfortunately, I don't know what is available.

Hordur Valgardsson
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 08:32 PM      Profile for Hordur Valgardsson   Author's Homepage   Email Hordur Valgardsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, sorry for the late reply, i´ve been crazy busy.

yes i had some problems a few months ago with dma8 audio, if i remember correctly it was solved by updating the firmware on the dma8.

now that the next season of the met opera is upcoming i am trying to get some pro satellite recevier that wont have me worrying about freezes etc...
what kind of equipment do tv stations use for reciving satellite materials, there must exist some solutions that would be suitable for dcinemas as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: