Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » RGB vs YCM

Author Topic: RGB vs YCM
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-04-2010 04:25 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an interesting question (or just thought) that I felt that belongs here in this "straight to video" forum, and kinda wondering about this and any comments are helpful.

We know of the two forms of colors - additive and subtractive.

Additve is the RGB and Subtractive is the YCM

Digital, analog three color analog monitors are the Additve.

Reflected visable items and film are the subtractive.

Now, we're going into the digital phase of projection which is using the RGB form of light, yet the movies shown from these units are based from YCM or subtractive sources.

Aren't we kinda defeating the purpose of using one to show the other?

thx-Monte

|  IP: Logged

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-04-2010 04:56 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all of it is subtractive.

Video cameras record in RGB, but ones used in "filmmaking" have their output modified in an attempt to look more like film and get rid of the 6 o'clock news/soap opera daytime TV show look associated with video cameras.

Most new movies shot on film have their negatives scanned, with the resulting data usually captured in RGB color space. The color in that data can be modified to go beyond the limited gamut range of CMY/CMYK color space.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-05-2010 01:39 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
but ones used in "filmmaking" have their output modified
Be like when Lucas shot SW:EP-III : he shot that all in digital but prob had it modified to look like it was shot on film ...

Okey,that'll work then .... lots to learn .. thx-Monte

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Video cameras record in RGB, but ones used in "filmmaking" have their output modified in an attempt to look more like film and get rid of the 6 o'clock news/soap opera daytime TV show look associated with video cameras.
Is this not more of a Progressive vs. Interlaced thing?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2010 02:50 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a few things. It's progressive scan and changing the frame rate, but a lot of it is changing the gamma curve characteristics to more closely emulate the look of film, and careful manipulation of detail levels. Bear in mind that this applies only to those "electronic cinematography" cameras that still output a fully gamma corrected, 4:2:2 HD-SDI signal. Many other cameras, like the RED One, the Alexa and the Genesis, output only off-sensor data, and nothing in the actual camera output is modified at all. The finished image is built from the ground up either on an on-set CMS look-up device, or in post production with a color corrector.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-06-2010 02:53 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unaltered video still looks like video even if it is progressive scan. I can shoot something in 480i using my old MiniDV camcorder or record footage in 1080p/24 using my Canon EOS 5D Mark II. Footage from either source will still have that video look unless the color is altered. The 1080p/24 material would be easier to manipulate into looking like film since the stream is progressive and far higher in resolution.

BTW, even material from cameras like the Panavision Genesis has to be altered in post. Its native output still looks like video. The commentary track for The Lookout made note of this. The filmmakers were unsure about the Genesis based on raw tests because the stuff looked like video. Once the footage was gussied up in post they liked the end results. Regardless, a lot of Genesis-sourced movies are plagued with the video look. I think Get Smart is one of the bigger offenders in that regard; it's low light scenes are terrible.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: