Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Glasses on Cards needs sound!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Glasses on Cards needs sound!!
Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2010 12:46 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have complained about this on every QC form they have sent out for all of our digital movies, and either they don't understand from what little I can fit in the comments section, or they actually don't read them, but here it is:

The 'Glasses On' cards on every movie, need sound. Many customers are not paying attention at the beginning of the movie, looking at their phones, talking, etc. If you try to start the movie with a 3D preview, there will be a few people (only a few of course), that were not looking up for the glasses on card, then set there for the first couple of previews, before they realize that the reason the image looks funny is because they don't have their glasses on. We have even had people come out and complain because it is out of focus. Hopefully the ushers realize they are in a 3D movie, and ask them if they had their 3D glasses on, but half the time they don't. Simply adding audio telling them to put on their glasses would solve this.

Currently I always make sure to put a 2D preview first, and then the tag, and then the 3D previews, but usually we only want to advertise the 3D movies as much as we can, and that 2D preview is taking up valuable time.

So TES, DFS, and movie companies --- ADD AUDIO CUES TO YOUR CARDS.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-04-2010 04:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't the case with REG 3D presentations for they do have a card that does ask, with sound, the guests to put on their 3D glasses right at the beginning.

It prob all depends on how the operator builds the playlist.

I put all 2D material at the front, then I add the "put on glasses" card to begin the 3D material for by this time, most everybody IS watching the screen and knows when it's time to put on the glasses.

-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-04-2010 05:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to think it might be better to only run trailers in 2D and the just the feature in 3D. When we had Toy Story 3, the "roller coaster" scene in the Despicable Me trailer wowed'em more than just about any of the 3D effects in TS3.

I don't really see a big need for sound cues in the glasses-on card though. Even if a person isn't paying attention, it's obvious when the lights go down and the feature starts that it's glasses-on time.

If you ARE running 3D trailers, any knucklehead should be able to tell if a picture is 3D and even if they can't, the fact that everyone around them has put their glasses on should be a clue.

Justin B. Martin
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Justin B. Martin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The glasses-on card only has sound when REG's First Look pre-show is in 3D - it's part of the larger advertisement. Otherwise it's the normal silent RealD glasses-on card.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-08-2010 07:10 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Patrons who are so stupid that they will sit there not realizing that they need to put on their glass when 3D content comes on the screen deserve to go crosseyed. [evil]

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2010 01:55 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get a lot of tourists who have been out at the beach all day, so they are kind of brain fried. Some get angry and want to complain a lot.
Some just don't seem to be all there. We had a showing of Bolt that they had moved the polarizer out of the way for the morning kids show, and the morning projectionist forgot to move it back. We had 4 people set through the entire showing, and never said a thing. It was two different groups to, one of 3 and 1 person by themselves.
We have a couple of times had people tell us it is out of focus because there are 2 images on screen. I had one older gentleman come out and started yelling that the projectionist needed to get fired, that the movie was way out of focus. Now I could see 2 pair of Real-D glasses in the top of his wife's purse, still unopened. I asked if he had tried looking at it with the glasses on, and he said "I'd know if the colors were off, it's not that, its out of focus". Now I figured since he had mentioned colors, he was thinking anaglyph, so I said "lets just try something", and we stepped back in, I had him put the glasses on, he looked surprised, and the slumped off, throwing a meek "Sorry" over his shoulder as he headed back to his seat.

I KNOW there are people that are "I.Q. challenged" in the audience. And I agree, wouldn't it be nice to see those cross-eyed buggers coming!!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 05:03 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree...we really have to take care of our guests on situations like this since the very, very few are not up to speed with today's technology and mind.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-09-2010 03:43 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Patrons who are so stupid that they will sit there not realizing that they need to put on their glass when 3D content comes on the screen deserve to go crosseyed.
With them increasing the number of movies that have last-minute 3D junk added in, I could see someone not realizing the trailer was supposed to be 3D...

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2010 06:22 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film-handler arrogance is on full display on this topic.

Why should any paying guest be expected to know anything? Isn't it our job to make sure they understand how to fully enjoy their paid experience to our business? When did being educated in OUR business practices become OUR guests' job?

I'm no longer in the business of showing movies to guests.

Perhaps some of you aren't either, but haven't realized it yet.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-10-2010 07:43 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh come on Anslem, lighten up. You need to discern when a post is tongue-in-cheek. Besides, if you are going to get holier-than-thou, you should always check your logic first.

quote: Anslem Rayburn
When did being educated in OUR business practices become OUR guests' job?

I'm no longer in the business of showing movies to guests.

Perhaps some of you aren't either, but haven't realized it yet.

Uh....what?

Anyway, we are not talking about theatre "business practices" here, we are talking about simple common sense. A patron is paying a surcharge to SEE A 3D MOVIE. He's given a pair of 3D glasses that say 3D on them. What needs to be explained?

There are certain common sense assumptions that you would think don't have to be explained, like that the glasses you are handed when you walk into a movie which probably even has 3D as part of the title (STAND UP 3D) are given to you so you can actually see the movie IN 3D! What a concept. Or was that patron expecting he was given the glasses to hold in his lap throughout the whole movie? I think it's reasonable to expect a rational person would make the connection between the glasses and the movie on the screen. But that's just me.

I can understand if he miscalculates and perhaps puts the glasses on through some of the 2D previews -- so what; no harm done. But to not be able to figure out that he needs to put them on for the 3D feature....I just don't think that's something that is beyond the scope of even a barely functional brain. Besides, if a patron is THAT clueless, I don't think he'd understand what PUT ON YOUR 3D GLASSES even means! Maybe we should have a card on the screen that shows how the glasses need to be placed on the head so that the lenses are actually in front of the eyes and not worn on top or in back of the head. See, right there....that's tongue-in-cheek. [Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-10-2010 08:15 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that you're always going to have some stupid customers who don't put on their glasses when they should. It's always the emptiest wagons that make the most noise.

Theoretically, you could hire an usher to sit next to every customer and politely cue every customer when to put on their glasses and I bet you'll STILL find customers with something to complain about. Some days you just can't win for losing.

When you are in business with the public you just have to get used to the fact that you're going to run into the occasional asshole. All you can do is plan for the worst, hope for the best, and buy insurance against the rest.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-10-2010 08:23 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
All you can do is plan for the worst, hope for the best, and buy insurance against the rest.
Randy -- AWESOME assessment of dealing with the public. I am posting this in our Box Office!! (I will even give you a copyright credit line).

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-10-2010 09:15 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I'll be here all week!

[Big Grin]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-10-2010 12:28 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Elliott
The 'Glasses On' cards on every movie, need sound. Many customers are not paying attention at the beginning of the movie, looking at their phones, talking, etc.
Probably what's really needed is something more along the lines of "those of you still jaw-jacking and making other noises need to shut up and stay quiet for the duration of the show. Those of you still playing with your phones need to put them away immediately or we'll have a gorilla sized usher jam your phone up your butt and toss you out of the exit door without a refund. Thank you. Oh, by the way, you can put on your 3D glasses now."
[Razz]

Anslem Rayburn
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2010 05:43 AM      Profile for Anslem Rayburn   Email Anslem Rayburn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
There are certain common sense assumptions that you would think don't have to be explained, like that the glasses you are handed when you walk into a movie which probably even has 3D as part of the title (STAND UP 3D) are given to you so you can actually see the movie IN 3D! What a concept. Or was that patron expecting he was given the glasses to hold in his lap throughout the whole movie? I think it's reasonable to expect a rational person would make the connection between the glasses and the movie on the screen. But that's just me.
Do you mean common sense things like the title of the movie is "Step Up 3D" and not "STAND Up 3D?"

I did a poor job of stating that I don't work in the theater industry any longer. I quit last month. I just wonder how many of you quit working in customer service and haven't realized it yet.

I see many posts on here that talk about presentation and how we owe it to our guests. But I see just as many talking bad about those same guests when they are "too stupid" to realize something.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: