Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » "series 1" vs. "series 2" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "series 1" vs. "series 2"
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-26-2010 01:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see these terms here. What is the difference, and how does one tell which machine is which? I assume that series 2 is newer/better?

|  IP: Logged

Frederick Lanoy
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 02:42 PM      Profile for Frederick Lanoy   Email Frederick Lanoy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco series 2 projectors seem to have more light effeciency thanks to "an advanced cooling DMD process". It can works in full DMD at triple flash (DP 3000 can't). Other evolutions on Barco :

- 4 K ready (1.38 DMD).
- Cleanable filters.
- Lamp power supply are built into the projector.
- Improved lens movement (quicker).
- Easy adjustance convergence (DMD red, blue, green).
- Cooling liquid system is more easy to check and you can add liquid easily.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-26-2010 03:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a user standpoint...Series 2 is nearly identical to series 1.

The givens are...all series 2 are full-frame triple flash capable, all of the 1.2" based machines have a 4K resolution upgrade path, if TI actually produces it.

A common theme with series 2 machines are around their inputs...most have an empty slot in there somewhere to accept an internal media block. At present, the servers have the media blocks in them. In the future (or so they say), the media block will reside in the projector and something along the order of a Cat6 cable will connect the server to media block.

Internally, much as changed...the controller boards are different (and much fewer), controller software is different (and they reset the version number back to 1...whereas series 1 TI software was out to 14...to drive the point home that they were series 1 machines...even the old 1.3K machines ran on the SAME TI software as the last generation series 1 machines...though I think version 11 or 12 was the last recommended version for the 1.3K machines).

Series 2 machines are supposed to be fully DCI compliant but there is no outward appearance of that. So again, from the user standpoint, there is no difference.

-Steve

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 04:02 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could add that:
* Serie-II are now mandatory - no more serie-I out there (only grey market), and forced by studios in a VPF deal
* Serie-II don't do subtitling but promise they will in a near future (hopefully, Doremi DCP2K can do the subtitling instead...)
* Serie-II are pretty new on the market, and pose some headaches here and there (ICP card issues...), no matter the brand (NEC, Christie...).
* depending on brand/model, of course you could gain some new features, but will also loose some for a while (subtitling, stability) until fixed...

my 2 cents [Smile]

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 04:04 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following "Series 2" projectors are listed by DCI as passing the compliance test:
Christie CP2220, 2230
Barco DP2K-12C, -15C, -20C
NEC NC2000C, NC3200S, NC1200C

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-26-2010 06:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco's series do WILL do subtitling within the projector. Barco's latest software update (v.02.01.00.276, issued within the past month) brought about this feature.

Steve

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 06:10 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Barco's series do WILL do subtitling within the projector. Barco's latest software update (v.02.01.00.276, issued within the past month) brought about this feature.

Last month was... june.
Serie-II were release january in Europe.

So that means we spent 4 to 5 months without subtitling with Serie-II projectors (in fact more, because Barco latest software upgrade is not yet well dispatched on the field...).

Hopefully for this subtitling issue, Doremi was able to quickly workaround the point to deliver subtitling at the SMS level.

As you imagine, in Europe, subtitling is crucial, as lot "big-cities-theaters" are screening "Original Version - Dubbed"... Hopefully (from the subtitling point of view), in Europe, Doremi is now nearly 90% of SMS base installed...

I still persist: from my point of view, these Serie-II were released far more quickly than the common sense should have performed... but well, afterall, that makes more sales for somes, and more security feeling for others... what a marvelous world, isn't it? [Smile]

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 06:37 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the new Christie projectors the user interface is a touch screen with a stylus instead of the keypad. The status lights are now on the rear corners of the projector.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-26-2010 07:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Barco update came out in July, actually.

It has been possible, for some time, for the DCPs to have the subtitling information. It is a mater of where the titles are generated.

And yes...in Europe, it would be MUCH more critical to have subtitling addressed and nailed down.

Matt...the first Christie series 1 projectors were touch panels. It was only the ZX and the M that used the "calculator" or as they call it, the CDP. Series 2 Christies are all TPs again.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 07:36 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bad...I have only seen the ZX and the 2230 in person and assumed it was a series 1 vs. series 2 thing.

Having ZX's, I am used to the CDP. Why did Christie revert back to the touch screen for the Series 2?

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2010 08:13 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our barco II's already have the media block outside the server and are inside the projector, connected by a pcie cable

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-26-2010 08:45 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Questions lead to answers, which leads to more questions.

What is the "media block"? Is it the thing that converts bits to HD-SDI, or something else?

Can series-I machines be upgraded to series-II? Is there any reason why one might want to do so?

Is triple-flash useful for anything other than 3D?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2010 01:26 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Europe the last generation of Series 1 DP3000 as well as the OEM engines DID do tripple flash full frame. I think that the timing for series 2 was great unlike a comment above. All companies lacked certain features that could not be software upgraded and needed some complete redesign (e.g Barcos' pressurised cooling with the thought that people would be mounting the projectors upside down) and others that were greatly improved in series 2 projectors.
Demetris

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2010 02:01 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the subtitling support by Barco: http://www.barco.com/en/pressrelease/2575/en

Other difference (most were already mentioned above) is that Barco's B-series (1.2" chip) was expanded to 3 "family members", building on the modular concept. People looking for high brightness and/or 4K-readiness can find a best match for their screen size out of 3 models now. (Total Series II family has 6 members.)

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-27-2010 03:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, the "Mediablock" is the last step of getting the DCP files into a video format for the projector. It is the secure area within a "server" or player. By moving the media block into the projector, you are moving the secure part into the projector rather than having to re-encrypt (e.g. cinelink) to move it over HDSDI lines between the mediablock and the projector in an encrypted fashion.

In essence, it is the "player" part of the system without the storage part (in hardware terms).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: