Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » can directv 3D content be played on a reald system

Author Topic: can directv 3D content be played on a reald system
Robert D Hall
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2010 07:45 AM      Profile for Robert D Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Robert D Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any one know of a way to play diretv 3D with a reald 3D system?

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-22-2010 09:35 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple of way to do this and it has already been done. There is even a box licensed by Dolby to do color corrected Dolby 3D. I'm still working out the issues so don't have a complete answer. There are differences between series one and series two in this regard.

I bet Guttag knows the answer.

Robert D Hall
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2010 10:40 AM      Profile for Robert D Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Robert D Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have both series one and two barco's the cheapest way is the way i would go.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-22-2010 07:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Doremi's Dimension 3D and Cine-Tal's Davio make solutions that will take the side-by-side (or over/under) 3D systems used by the broadcast folks and turn it into two streams (left/right eye).

The Barco series 2 and .98" series one should be able to take two DVI sources as left/right eyes and work with the Real-D. However, it will likely be easier for most folks to use the HDSDI inputs (swap cables between the alternative content and the DCinema)

Keep in mind...most stuff coming from non-Cinema sources will not be 24p. As such, dealing with 29.97 or 59.94 sources will change the frame rate from what the 3D apparatus is used to. I do not know if if Real-D can deal with 30/60Hz based sources...I would think they could. You may find that you need to create custom 3D files to have different dark times and such.

Note, for Dolby-3D, Barco has a HUGE advantage over the others since the Barco software controls the color wheel. You can set up frequency specific colorwheel timings. Using the Dolby DFC100, you only have 48, 60 and 72 Hz frequencies which will severely restrict the number permutations you can use (you have to it it on the 60Hz one) so you will likely use 4:2 to hit 60Hz. With the Barcos, you can increase the flash frequency to avoid flicker and merely set the sync and dark time to match.

-Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: