Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » home 3D on reald

Author Topic: home 3D on reald
Robert D Hall
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2010 05:11 PM      Profile for Robert D Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Robert D Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any one know if there is a way to show directv 3D content on a reald system

|  IP: Logged

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2010 06:00 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theoretically, and if you can strip HDCP content protection first, one of these things could input HDMI 3D from a TV box and output dual HDSDI that COULD be compatible with current DCI projectors running RealD (or any other) 3D system

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/decklinkhdextreme/techspecs/
[LINK TO BLACK MAGIC'S DESIGN DECKLINK HD EXTREME 3D]

... if it weren't because your source from TV is likely 25/30fps (i.e. 30 stereoscopic-frame-pairs per second in case of 3D TV in some countries, kind-of-like 60fps) and DCI specs only considers 24 frame-pairs per second (kind of like 48fps).

But if your source is 24fps (unlikely coming from "broadcasted" TV), then the piece of hardware above *SHOULD* theoretically work (call blackmagic up and ask specifically). It *MAY* also work if your TV source is 25fps 3D (i.e. in Europe), as that's close enough to 24fps and is probably unofficially supported by DCI projectors and "slow enough" for the RealD active wave plate to synch to it in triple flash (only 1 fps difference from cinema's true-24fps to HD TV's true-25fps standard in those countries were such a rate is more commonly used in HD "broadcasts").

Othewise, if firmware supports it in the projectors and the RealD units, which technically it could w/o trouble, one could set up the projection as a double-flash 120hz refresh rate from a 30fps 3D source (60hz x 2). I doubt current DCI projectors and RealD units support a speed of triple-flash 30fps content (i.e. 180hz ... too much above the currently supported standard of 144hz).

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2010 01:41 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real problem would be licensing. Some of the DirectTV content is licensed exclusively by other companies for theatrical distribution.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: