Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » How many Chains are now all digital? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: How many Chains are now all digital?
John Rizzo
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 09:17 AM      Profile for John Rizzo   Email John Rizzo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys
I met with a projectionist friend of mine who moved to Seattle a little over a year ago, he told me that now all the Regal,Cinemark and AMC chains are totally digital and scrapped all the film projectors. Is this true?

|  IP: Logged

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 09:56 AM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, it is not true. Not even close.

The AMC 24 closest to me has 21 film projectors, 1 Christie DLP, 1 Sony DLP, and one "Imax" digital. Similar situation for the AMC 18 that is about 45 minutes away. They are still almost entirely 35mm film.

A Regal cinema about 5 minutes from my theater is almost entirely 35mm. I can only offer those anecdotes, rather than any statistics, but clearly these 2 chains have not gone all digital.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 09:58 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike has gone %100 digital using Christie projectors. They did keep some 35mm equipment at their locations in case there ever was a need to run a 35mm print

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-30-2010 10:02 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prior to their recent buying spree I believe Rave was all digital (certainly here in Montgomery). Don't know what the situation is with their recent acquisitions.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-30-2010 11:42 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I haven't stepped in that booth since I left AMC, I am quite certain that the 30 screen in town here hasn't gone all digital yet. Though I know they added some Sony projectors (don't know how many) and previously had 2 Christie 2K's with 28 film.

And I doubt that the other 24-plex of their's here has gone entirely digital.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 11:44 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AMC Rockaway Mall in NJ is mostly 35mm.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 01:46 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Martin McCaffery
Rave was all digital (certainly here in Montgomery). Don't know what the situation is with their recent acquisitions.
I saw a press release a while ago that Rave has a deal with Cinedigm phase 2 to bring all their aquired locations to 100% digital.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know both Regal and AMC are well on their way to going all digital. It's just a matter of time.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-30-2010 03:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and that's going to be a very long time the way the money is right now ...

For, when you think of it, if a 14 to 20 plus screen complex suddenly heads to digital, the huge expence that the theatre is gonna have to face is bulbs.

An example and a rough on at that on a simple guesstimate here: At $1400 a pop for 4200w bulbs, which have to be changed every three months for warranty reasons, 14 time 3 times 4 per year is almost a $30k expense that that location will be facing.

Lotsa numbers to face on the conversions ...

-Mote

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 03:09 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodrich has plans to be all digital by the end of 2010. Hollywood near me recently went all digital on 14 of its screens. I believe the DCIP calls for close to 100% conversion within 2 years ???

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 03:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our 5 largest screens would run bulbs at 1500 warranty hours, the other 10 will have 3000 hours. We were told within 2 years we will be fully converted.

Our current 35's run 1800 warranty hours, so we'll save money on bulbs, theoretically.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 04:44 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the end of July, AMC New Brunswick will be 100% Sony 4K with the exception of the IMAX twin Chrisite DLPs

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-30-2010 07:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At $1400 a pop for 4200w bulbs,
You would think bulbs would be coming down in price, since they're going to have to be changed more often.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 07:58 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why d-cinema projectors need such high Wattage bulbs. Film projectors have shutters so you need more light.
Our 35mm projector needs almost quadruple the Wattage to equal the brightness of the e-cinema projector.
Is the extra Wattage purely for 3D?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 08:25 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of our screens are using the same or slightly higher wattage bulbs (like from 1.6k to 2k) in the digital projectors than they used in the 35's. Bulb life is about the same too (Christie CP-2000 projectors, 35's were Christie/Strong lamphouses).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: