Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Color problems on Christie 2000SB (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Color problems on Christie 2000SB
Greg Wood
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2010 04:41 PM      Profile for Greg Wood   Email Greg Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all--looking for some input on following lovely issue we are having:

Running a Christie 2000sb with Dolby server and RealD for 3d. Awhile back screen occasionally turned half blue...typical problem it seems and we replaced the EFIB board.

3 months later same issue with Toy Story and happening more often. Replace EFIB board again...after receiving a bad board...same problem. Replaced entire Light Engine a few days ago. Again, same problem.

Anyone else encountering this????? Losing faith in ability of Christie to figure it out???

[ 07-11-2010, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2010 07:01 PM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would think this problem is normally formatter but what is your 'dark time' set to out of curiosity? I think I recall if it exceeds 110 it can cause these problems.

Greg Wood
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2010 08:46 PM      Profile for Greg Wood   Email Greg Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im told by our techs that dark time should not be the problem (and I think it is under 110--waiting to verify).

Screen turned yellow last show. Its a simple fix in power cycle projector but outside of an endless supply of EFIB boards really curious to see what Christie advises next

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2010 09:14 PM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well in my experience replacing the engine is the way to go but considering you have already done this I don't know!

What are the odds you have two defective engines?

Greg Wood
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2010 09:50 PM      Profile for Greg Wood   Email Greg Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea seriously...Ive been involved with some other theaters that had this problem and engine fixed it for good. Somehow I seem to be the lucky one (not!).

Would be pretty impressive if Christie sent out a few bad boards AND a bad engine. Replaced color ribbons as well to no avail.

Interestingly enough it seems to only happen running 3d content.

Oh the joys of the digital age lol Looking forward to Christies next solution (unfortunately it will take til tue to find out)

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2010 10:05 PM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been though the exact same thing. Swapping boards, servers. Problem only happens in 3D.

Swapped the engine and have not had a problem since. Its a 1.2" thing.

Greg Wood
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2010 10:31 PM      Profile for Greg Wood   Email Greg Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Brendan...glad to know others have encountered the same...FRUSTRATING.

Looks like a tradeup to Series 2 is gonna have to happen...no way I feel like operating like this continuously

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2010 11:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Wood
3 months later same issue with Toy Story and happening more often. Replace EFIB board again...after receiving a bad board...same problem. Replaced entire Light Engine a few days ago. Again, same problem.

No need to wait for a Series 2 projector, keep the one you have and get your $$$ back out of it... I went through this exact same thing about 6 months ago. Including the whole defective ffib board thing. In our case the problem was the light engine and replqacing it fixed the projector for good. We nailed the cause of the problem by swapping boards between two projectors. I suggest you replace the light engine. I agree with Brendan that the problem lies on one of the formatter boards for sure!! I don't know whats with Christie lately but I'm guessing they bit off more than they can chew...

Next time around look at the Series 2 NEC since they've made huge strides in the overall quality of their projectors. Overall, I've had LESS PROBLEMS with NEC than any other brand. And as a last resort then look at BARCO. As much as I like Christie projectors they just not equipped to properly deal with the digital onslaught! That is until they get their Chinese plant into operation.

Mark

Greg Wood
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2010 01:24 PM      Profile for Greg Wood   Email Greg Wood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thx Mark. OK...since we did replace the light engine ill look at replacing formatting boards...crap weve replaced eveything else lol!

Agreed...I really am-was a big Christie fan but they clearly are in bit deep. I have a new theater coming out and was planning on new Christie (2230)and this all gives me pause. I do like the new NEC but was told we would get more light out of a christie (and with a screen of almost 70wide thats clearly important). Almost as frustrating as picking out a server (why the heck cant GDC have a better UI ie Dolby).

As much as I love digital...starting to miss the days of no 3d and 35mm

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-07-2010 04:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't switch out the formatters. You will have to switch out the whole engine again. Because the formatters are attached to the DMDs it all has to be factory assembled.

Next time just go with the larger NEC 3200 instead of the mid size Christie. It costs just a little more than the mid size Christie and would offer you even more flexibility. The big NECs are located in many prestigous screening rooms all over the world. I feel much the same way about Christie that you do.
Great stuff but I would ertainly give pause and alot of thought about ever using them again. I would even condider using BARCO before Christie again...

Mark

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2010 07:23 PM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can switch out the formatters if you know what you are doing.

Can you please stop up-selling at every opportunity. O.k, we get it. You left Claco and now you sell NEC. If anyone wants an NEC go see Mark.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The big NECs are located in many prestigous screening rooms all over the world.
Gee an original claim... Funny how they all claim that huh. Name me 3..

Series 2 NEC since they've made huge strides in the overall quality of their projectors
One would hope they did.

give pause and alot of thought about ever using them again
Big deal. He had one projector with a problem. [bs] happens. Anyone that has installed enough of these is bound to have come across a turkey by now.

You are starting to become like the film tech Avon lady with your hard sells.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2010 08:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for saving me the effort Brendan.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-07-2010 08:47 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ding dong...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-10-2010 09:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brendan... Now you really have me laughing. I am much better off than when I was at CLACO because I can now sell all three brands of projectors. I am no longer stuck in the doldrums of having just one to sell.

Mark

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2010 02:03 AM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well maybe you could offer all three projectors at list price but I would be very suprised if you can sell Christie or Barco at dealer price considering you pay their products out for no real reason. I seriously doubt they would support you.

You make me laugh because your ploy is so obvious.

Personally I don't have anything against any of the major three players (I'm sure you know my position on Kinoton and Cinemeccanica which is a whole other issue) but every 'groundbreaking' thing you have mentioned about NEC series 2 has been done already. So you are coming off like a bit of a retard in my eyes anyway. Oh my god, they have color! WOW! Oh my god they have a touch panel and its called..... Communicator! Oh my god, you can actually read the Diagnostics Package! I mean really, all this stuff is done already.

I don't think you have license to even comment on Barco since it's sounds like the last one you worked on was a DP100 which is unfair considering NEC didn't even have a projector when the DP100 came out.. Catch up.. I think they were still dicking around with 'Digital Projection corp' back then.

Now here is a riddle for you. Why is NEC the only series 2 projector that you can get hold of at the moment??

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: