Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Looking for Barco power supply repair person.

Author Topic: Looking for Barco power supply repair person.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2010 10:44 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a power supply: R7633708K LPS power supply, from a Barco DP100, likely the same power supply for the DP3000. The complete projector power supply is composed of 3 individual power supply units. I am referring to the individual unit.

Barco will only repair these if they are under warranty. I have two of these needing repair...anyone interested?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2010 10:33 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Won't they do a repair/exchange? Our unit is out of warranty and I've replaced at least 2 since then. Beware the cheesy blue connectors they use for the fan power (and elsewhere). Stupid question, did you check the fuse?

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2010 01:06 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I talked to Barco and they only provide repair exchange on warrantied units, otherwise they require that you buy a new power supply, they will not repair it for any reason.

Thanks for the heads up on the cheesy blue connector. It is rather discomforting when you seat the fan assembly because you have no idea as to the integrity of the fan connections.

One of the power supplies indeed does have a fuse problem. The fuse contacts were bent, thus creating a poor electrical contact to the fuse body. The fuse has blown and it looks like lots of heating has discolored the fuse holder contacts. I'm guessing we could solder new fuse holder contacts and install a new fuse and it would be fine. I can not seem to get any information about this power supply however, such as the schematic.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-01-2010 09:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a very good reason BARCO will not repair it. Some of the semiconductors are obsolete on that board. Seen the same thing happen here in SLC. Theater lost SMPS boards... they brought one to me to see if I could fix it. Looked up bad parts... found them to be NLA. BARCO now has a very expensive buy more reliable SMPS card for that projector anyway. Sorry there are no schematics available from BARCO or any projector manufacturer. Be sure you have the correct SMPS firmware in the projector for the new cards(especially if this is a very old machine)older versions of SMPS firmware may not properly drive the later cards. BTW: This is one of my most hated aspects of BARCO projectors and why I won't sell them. There is NO NEED FOR A FIRMWARE DRIVEN SMPS period in any D-Cinema projector! Neither Christie or NEC use firmware driven LV power supplies.

Tom Bert
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2010 02:43 AM      Profile for Tom Bert   Email Tom Bert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BTW: This is one of my most hated aspects of BARCO projectors and why I won't sell them. There is NO NEED FOR A FIRMWARE DRIVEN SMPS period in any D-Cinema projector!
In Series 1 projectors Barco had “SMPS controller” firmware, which controls (=enables/disable) the SMPS. At the same time it monitors the temperatures, voltages, fan speeds,… The SMPS did its voltage conversion independently for the rest.

In Series 2 projectors they have a similar approach, but it's called ‘Fan Controller’. No other firmware-based intelligence is present on the board, except for the Fan Controller.

The on-board intelligence enables them to optimize their projector (cooling, ...) and enables remote monitoring and diagnostics.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2010 11:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Bert
The on-board intelligence enables them to optimize their projector (cooling, ...) and enables remote monitoring and diagnostics.

And elevates replacement board prices into the ludricous cost spectrum! IE: There are less expensive ways to do this that are just as effective...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: