Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Satellite transport for D-Cinema

Author Topic: Satellite transport for D-Cinema
Jean-Noel Grosmenil
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2010 03:40 PM      Profile for Jean-Noel Grosmenil   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Noel Grosmenil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

A simple question for all of you, who are working into movie industry. The D-Cinema model was designed to project a movie without physical print but also to transmit the DCP without physical transport.

To the best of my knowledge, I thought that the transportation of the DCP and others files was still done by a delivery of hard-disks (at least in Europe). Steve Kraus has updated my informations by an answer on Usenet The satellite delivery of movies (not only trailers or adverts) is anymore an experimentation into US, but the daily reality for some of you.

My questions are simple:

- How many screens have implemented the full model of D-Cinema (with satellite or high speed dedicated optical fiber)?

- What's your opinion about the delay to achieve the full or almost full model (into the USA, most of the contributors are from US) ?

- What will be the transportation system in the close future (very fast optical fiber, satellite, etc ...) ?

(I'm not talking about broadcasting of live events, like Metropolitan Opera season but movies.)

The reasons for my questions: the US have pioneered the D-cinema. In France, the major movie theater's chain (UGC) has decided to move suddenly to D-cinema after years of negation of the model.

So it's a major problem of employment for many operators (they will only maintained something like 30-40% of their projectionists) and I was discussing into a French forum that it's only the beginning of the model for us. And the disk transport will only be a temporary answer, the loss of employment will be drastic in all the chain, from the lab to the screen.

They are skeptical and I try to have all informations coming from US to see what will happen in the close future in Europe. I know that Ireland use already satellite.

Are the satellite platforms into US managed by a group of distributors, or one platform per distributor or private groups ?

Every comment is welcome, with links if you have some!

* : excuse me for my English !

|  IP: Logged

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2010 11:23 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Noel,

In the US currently there are 3 companies doing delivery via satellite. (to my knowledge)

Cinedigm (To my knowledge we have the largest current satellite delivery footprint in the world. We have this system at most of our US sites and are looking for 90%+ saturation) We have been doing this for years. Sorry I cant give you hard numbers per my non-disclosure.

Technicolor has a smaller system in place, but I don't know their total number.

Microspace. They have a decent number of sites but have some limitations. ( Per my understanding they do not offer full featured film distribution, no follow up or the ability to create and distribute keys or send back up hard drives) Forgive me if the information on them is out of date but I haven't heard much about them lately.

As far as what d-cinema means to operators, yes the chains will most likely cut staff. In the US a manager of a 20 plex with our LMS system can control every screen from his office desk without ever having to go upstairs.

IMHO most sites will be implemented with Satellite as it costs the same to send to 2 sites or 2000. I have heard of sites being installed with fiber, but I don't see this as a big impact in the near future (fiber lines can vary greatly in speed and cost from site to site)

Unfortunately with my non-disclosure I cant quote you any hard numbers, and at this time have no information on pending European delivery systems. I would recommend http://www.dcinematoday.com/ and look at the delivery agreements announced there for Europe to get some idea of whats coming.

Good luck,
Todd

Jean-Noel Grosmenil
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2010 02:03 PM      Profile for Jean-Noel Grosmenil   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Noel Grosmenil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Todd

Many thanks for your reply. It's a hot subject in France for the moment and I try to give accurate informations into the French projectionist's forum. Because if it's a reality in US, it will be a reality soon everywhere else.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: