Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie Opens New China Manufacturing Facility (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Christie Opens New China Manufacturing Facility
Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 09:20 PM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Christie®, the world leader in digital cinema projection, announced the opening of a new manufacturing facility in Shenzhen, China to meet the growing global demand for digital cinema projectors to screen 2D and 3D movies. The new facility will significantly expand the company’s production capabilities, with the Christie Solaria™ projectors scheduled to roll off the assembly line in July.

Production will begin with the Christie CP2220 and the Christie CP2210, with the Christie CP2230 to follow. The Shenzhen factory will initially feed the Asia Pacific market, freeing up capacity at Christie’s North American plant to increase supply to the rest of the world."

I cannot tell you how excited I am to know that we will soon be getting projectors made in China down here. Awesome. Can't hardly contain my excitement....

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-17-2010 11:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude that so totally rocks. As everyone knows, China makes only the highest quality products each and every time. They could teach us a thing or two about how to treat and pay workers, too! Oh wait, nevermind. Wrong country.

I hope to be reading about striking Christie workers in China very soon. [Wink]

Michael Hossen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2010 11:43 PM      Profile for Michael Hossen   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Hossen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Joe, in the US you'll still be getting the good units... Until Christie get greedy, which is when their workers will start jumping off the roof.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 06-18-2010 04:06 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any guesses on the longevity of these units?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2010 08:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie has no choice but to do this as NEC's pricing is anywhere form 10k to 15k less per equivelent model. You watch... The Canadian plant will soon be a thing of the past... BTW: The build quality on the NECs is every bit as good as the Christie stuff... Watch for Barco to not be left out of this as well.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-18-2010 11:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not the same by far, but for what it's worth, Lionel Trains sent all their manufacturing to China about 8 years ago and the product is much better than the most recent stuff they were making in the U.S.

I'm all for American pride, but competition is competition.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-18-2010 12:03 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the [dlp] projectors leak as much oil as the Chinese-made film projectors?

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-18-2010 02:11 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great now I'm defending Chinese manufacturers. [Wink]

Chinese companies (contract manufacturers etc) are perfectly capable of making anything you want to any level of quality you want. If they do the Christie projectors to a lesser quality level than their US-made counterparts, it's probably under Christie's orders, to save money.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-18-2010 02:57 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure many on this list are old enough to remember when Made In Japan was a sign of second rate workmanship.

As soon as the Chinese factories start cranking out quality products and demanding a premium for them, the money will flow to next country that will work for nothing.

Which often seems to be Alabama;>

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-18-2010 07:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
China has a good racket going for industrial output: a state-controlled press, next to nothing in terms of labor and environmental safety and an execution rate of roughly 1000 people per month -many of which are executed for reasons that have nothing to do with stuff like capital crimes against other people (murder, rape, etc.).

I suppose one can get pretty good quality output from workers who are desperately poor, starving and scared to death of complaining about anything. Yeah, the United States needs to be the same way. Damned lazy Americans and their freedom and having clean water and other crap like that.
[Roll Eyes]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-18-2010 10:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if NEC has an "equivalent" to Christie (or Barco) model. NEC has three models, Christie has three models but light/lumen do not match up...in the middle the imagers don't even match up.

For instance...the NC2000C does not match up with the CP2220...while they are both "middle" projectors...the NC2000 typically tops out at a mere 11900 lumens, UNLESS you go with the super short life lamp and then you can get 17,000 lumens...but only 650-hours of life on a 4K lamp...it is very expensive to run. The CP2220 can hit 18,500 lumens on just a 3K lamp and get over 1000-hours on that lamp. Cost/hour, Christie is far cheaper for both the lamp and the electricity to run it.

I don't know why you think the "build quality" is so great on the NEC. I don't think it stands up nearly as well as the other two. Since you claim it is much better on series 2s than series 1s...I'd hate to see a series 1!

Don't get me wrong...the NEC will put out a DLP image...most folks will think it is just great (from downstairs)....but it is like an econo-car...it will get you there but you won't enjoy it as much as other cars. On the up-side...NEC does have TWO SETS of HDSDI inputs...which for alternative content/rentals will be quite handy.

As for "made in China" You can have it...I'm pretty disgusted with "made in China." While some claim that China can make things to any level of quality...I'm starting to find that they seem to find a way to short cut that in everything that I've had to deal with.

I deal with a widely known A/V product company that has more recently started to use China as a manufacturing origin over their own in-house manufacturing. There has been a VERY notable decline in reliability of those products. In fact, ALL of my returns have had a "made in China" badge. When questioned, the company replies "Yes we have some products made in China but they are designed here and made to our specifications so there should be no quality difference." To which I just responded..."then why am I pulling a relatively new item, Made in China" and replacing it with the same model, though older by several years, Made in USA that still works? If it happened just once...well things happen...but lately...if it is made in China, there is some degree of crap in it. Or in the case of toys...Lead or some other heavy metal (what was in the Happy Meal toys?).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2010 01:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed the build quality is every bit as good as the others. In several aspects such as light engine removal they are even better. They use Ushio manufactured reflectors and Sanrex rectifiers and ignitors, same as Christie. Those that know my background will agree that I have more experience than most here with the insides of hi tech equipment. I absolutely would never touch a Series One NEC for anything... They are literal rats nests although they certainly do run reliably and have made their way into many prominent installations. As for your lumens ratings I also believe you are missing
something. I've had great luck with the NC-2000 and Dolby 3-D on a number of mid sized screens. For 2-D it's a very economical solution that allows the use of most HS series cinema lamps. There are many lamps available that fit the NC-2000 including a new lamp comming out very soon.

In regards to China... Weather it's good or bad is another entire debate but better get used to it. They will soon be producing most of the industrial and consumer type goods the world uses.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-19-2010 07:15 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not missing anything on the NEC lumen ratings...for I get them from NEC...and I've confirmed them in the field!

There is indeed a new lamp due out in July...yet another 4K lamp! This will split the difference between a 17,000 lumen 650-hour lamp and the 11,900 1500-hour lamp. It will be a 14,000-lumen 1000-hour lamp. Compared to the Christie CP2220 running just the CDXL-30 (no SD) which will have 15,000 lumens...every time you compare, it loses. Also note, the Christie can also use "standard" lamps (HTP) for 2K and 3K wattages.

Part of the NC2000's problem is its power supply that tops out at about 138A...which is NOT a full 4000-watts.

The build quality is not near what a Barco is and I don't think it is as good as Christie, either. For service, Barco has had the others beat for some time...at least on the DP1200-DP2000 (and now the DP2K series)...VERY modular. I do like how open the NEC is, once inside. The light engine does look to be easy to swap (like a Barco).

NEC does have the others beat on showing the coolant level...they are the only ones that allow you to see it without having to open anything and they use their light loss....err light-leak to light up the vile. I have always disliked that one has to remove covers to check that.

How has the NEC software been working for you? Can you set colors with it? Hopefully, the latest software update has fixed that minor glitch.

Man...I wish DCI would standardize the naming of things. Barco has Macros, Christie has Channels and NEC has Titles and they all use them slightly differently!

Barco and NEC use PCFs...Christie doesn't...

And then there are the test targets...one never knows what you are going to get. NEC gives you precious little, Barco gives you quite a bit (and the only good focus target)...Christie often has good framing targets.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 06-19-2010 11:39 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chinese-made products for brands like Sony, Apple, etc. are built to the highest quality standards. The brand owner is responsible for accepting or rejecting the final build quality. They're in charge. Now if some company's amps are being made in China and have a high(er) failure rate than their US-made counterparts, it's that company's fault for not exercising proper quality control procedures over their Chinese contract manufacturer. Or else they've chosen to build to a certain price point and have accepted the fact that they will see higher failure rates.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. [Big Grin]

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-19-2010 11:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is true that it is the company's brand that is one the problems...but the fact remains...when I see junk...it almost always has the "China" label. It is also impossible to check every thing in every run to see if short cuts were made. While China is cheap, they have proven to me that they are an unreliable country to source things from. Unfortunately, as Mark has said...that is where everyone is going because they are so cheap.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: