Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » AV Cinema Scale Pro II (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AV Cinema Scale Pro II
Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one of our dealers recomend us this product, does enybody use it?
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8166

thanks

mike moreno

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2010 04:47 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few sourced through Christie and they work OK.

It is a pretty versatile box as it adapts a variety of A/V sources to DVI 1080p (and if you have the version with AES input you can use it instead of a DMA-8 to adapt the digital audio from a digital cinema server - we don't use ours for that purpose so I can't speak to the quality of the D to A audio, but I know there are a few locations in the US using it instead of a DMA-8).

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 07:57 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea we are using it with about 10 digital projectors here, they work,

the best thing is you can connect the source audio and video direct to the unit so you don't have to pull separate line to the audio processor...

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-14-2010 05:06 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm worried about the use of RCA jacks. They could pop out too easily, and should not be used in a professional product. I wonder why they didn't put bnc connectors on it instead?

On the other hand, switching audio along side the video is a pretty nifty feature.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-14-2010 05:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Olpin
I'm worried about the use of RCA jacks. They could pop out too easily, and should not be used in a professional product. I wonder why they didn't put bnc connectors on it instead?
It looks like something that was designed to be installed by cinema staff instead of trained technicians. I'm guessing that they went with RCA connectors because they look familiar to normal people, and because most people have the cables already, even if they don't have BNC adapters. It also saves the need to install both a scaler and a separate guest input panel.

I agree that it's cheesy, but I can understand why they might have made that choice.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 06-14-2010 06:57 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I have never had any issues with RCA jacks in any screening rooms I've worked. In fact, there is one small benefit to them: the action of inserting/pulling the cable helps keep the contact points clean. No chance for corrosion to interfere with the connection. I have had some BNC's give issues in that regard, as no one ever pulls them. [Smile]

But yes, accidental disconnection is easy to do. [Eek!]

Anyone have a price on this Gefen unit?

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2010 07:23 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the price for us in Mexico is like 1800 us dollars. must be the half in us (i guess)

mike moreno

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-14-2010 07:51 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough...BH Photo Video lists it as "discontinued!"

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2010 02:24 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any experience with this unit, only the (more expensive?) CineIPM units. I don't know if I like the idea of the integrated audio handling, but I suppose it makes life easier when used by non-professionals.

One thing that seems to be missing is a composite video connection (I know it is worse quality, but somebody will bring along a device [camcorder, vintage Digibeta player etc.] that only has a composite out). For amateur usage this could be a particular problem.

The unit does not seem to allow fine control over the picture size, this could be useful when content arrives in odd formats.

No remote control. A wired remote allows the operator to see the screen when making adjustments (This is particularly useful when running from multiple sources).

quote: Mike Olpin
This is odd for the back panel connection (as this is most likely to be semi-permanently wired), but since the DVD player it connects to is also likely to be RCA then probably ok.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-22-2012 07:30 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 584 days since the last post.

Alban Birch
Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2012 07:30 AM      Profile for Alban Birch   Author's Homepage   Email Alban Birch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
We're still using a CP55 and a DTS-6D together with our digital setup (Doremi), so we bought the Gefefen because of the audio-switching possibilities. Is there a possibilty to control the Gefen from the Doremi, so that the scaler is always in analog bypass and only switches to digital bypass when a show is running on the Doremi
Thanks

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 09:29 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It uses RS232, so with some hacking into the protocol, should be able to control it from the Doremi.

- Carsten

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should also look into the Kraemer VP-436 I just put one in and so far it's doing a good job. It is RS-232 controllable as well. LINKY

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-22-2012 01:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Terminal audio inputs but RCA outputs?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-22-2012 01:49 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I found that to be odd too.....but at least it does convert the audio to SP/Dif.

I'm not using the audio at all at UC Irvine, it all runs thorugh a Denon AVR for processing, and the Denon provides delay adjustment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: