Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Marcus UltraScreen XL3D

Author Topic: Marcus UltraScreen XL3D
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2010 09:23 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marcus is installing a 3D system on their Ultrascreen Room at its Pickerington OH theatre in time for Toy Story 3. I got word of it today from their weekly showtime email.

A quick internet search shows they are also intending to install this system a:

Majestic Cinemas - Brookfield WI
North Shore Cinemas - Mequon WI
Point Cinemas - Madison WI
Marcus Cinema at the Renaissance - Sturtevant WI
Elgin Cinemas - Elgin IL
Orland Park Cinemas - Orland Park IL
Oakdale Cinemas - Oakdale MN

The press release says they are using RealD technology.

I'll be checking this one out when it opens..I'm very interested to see how 3D looks on a 70' screen.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Strube
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2010 09:39 PM      Profile for Mark Strube   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Strube   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's already up and running at Majestic, North Shore, and Renaissance. I was quite impressed by the light on the screen... I'll be interested in your thoughts on the Pickerington install, Mark.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-09-2010 10:32 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as long as the screen/auditorium is called X-something-or-other I am fucking sold!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-10-2010 09:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like anything x rated [Smile] [Smile]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-11-2010 08:06 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and the more Xs the better!

When we run interlock 3D FILM on two XL projectors, then we've got 2xXL3D-Syncronous Interlock, or XLXL3DSI. Ah, marketing....ya gotta love it!

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2010 05:27 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I visited the Pickerington Ultrascreen today to check out the XL3D system.

They are running a Real-D system with a single projector. They still have the 35mm projector in the booth (the digital unit is a bit off the center line). The booth is high above the back row, so I could not look in and see what they were using.

For Toy Story 3, they have the screen masked to 50' wide. The 1.85:1 image filled the screen area.

Large surround speakers are installed in the two back corners, similar to the way Imax back speakers are installed.

The 7.1 sound trailer was NOT shown. Nothing stood out as coming from the back speakers. Sound was very clean, but there was an occasional "rattle" as if a loose or bad connection coming from the far lower right of the screen, both before, during and after the movie.

The image was VERY bright...one of the brightest I've ever seen, rivaling the Imax 2-projector system.

Very impressive, but not worth a $12.00 matinee ticket. I noticed a number of people with children choosing the 2D version at a lower cost.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: