Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » RealD EQ Ghost Busting

Author Topic: RealD EQ Ghost Busting
Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2010 12:42 AM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Film Tech,
Im curious to know what you folks think of the Server based RealD EQ ghost busting system in comparison to projecting Pre Software Ghostbusted DCP's.

Ive seen a few supposed Server based Real Time Ghost busting projections and didnt think it seemed that good, at least not compared to the software versions.

In one screening it seemed to Ghost bust only one eye. This didnt make sense to me but I was assured by staff that the system was fully operational.

What are your thoughts on this.

Many thanks ,

Adrian

|  IP: Logged

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2010 08:48 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can say for our system (Barco DP-100, Doremi) I compared up NGB with EQ and GB with the EQ off, and although I did not see any glaring difference, I did still see a very slight ghosting using the real time EQ. It may have also just been me, as I would expect to see more ghosting, so therefore, I would be more critical of the NGB image. But again using several previews, I did not see any huge difference.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-03-2010 09:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have definitely seen ghosting on a real time system...that said, it must be qualified that we were WAY over light spec. What should have been a Real-D Z-screen was delivered as a Real-D XL and we had nearly double the light...I couldn't get it below 12fL...even with the lamp all of the way down.

Thus, this is going to reveal more artifacts. This was with a DSS200 server on a Severtson screen.

Steve

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2010 07:10 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard RealD changes from passive glasses to active glasses.
Can somebody confirm?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-05-2010 04:42 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlikely, the system works with polarized light, as fas as I know there is not better "active" polarizers.

I may be mistaken but I think I heard that the ghostbusting process works leaving alone one of the eyes and adding a sligltly inverted pictures over the other eye. I dunno whether it's the same procedure for both post-production and real-time servers.

Steve
First time I hear someone complaining for too much light on 3D [Smile]

Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2010 07:11 AM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The process is similar for Software processing and RT server based processing although in Software you had a little more control over the amount of cross talk correction. The EQ system. although labelled as 'dynamic', I believe works less on fixing such ghosting artifacts. Animation does not really get too much ghosting artifacts as the scenes them selves are kind of high dynamic range and its rare you get a very high contrast vertical edge that causes such visible artifacts. Live action 3D on the other hand in exterior conditions can show these effects quite crudely.

After viewing some of the screens around here it also became apparent that some of the 3D projectors had not been color aligned correctly. Making sure that both projected eyes are matching in XYZ color coordinates seems critical as it will have the effect of the ghosting appearing in one eye more than the other if it is out.

In the Barco Dolby3D system we have here one has to measure the color primaries of each eye (through the glasses optics) and place those values into the Barco software for it too balance the eyes correctly. Only then does the antiGhosting appear the best.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2010 01:35 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard a set date when RealD intends to switch over to server based ghostbusting?

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2010 04:19 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's already here, Shrek is supposed to be the first title available only in non-ghostbusted. Can't get the link to work right from a previous post, but here is the letter we recieved.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
RealD Exhibitor Partner,

It is time to turn on your ghostbuster. Let me explain...

RealD introduced cinema ghostbusting five years ago to enhance 3D cinema presentations by reducing the amount of 'ghosting' or crosstalk between the left and right eye images - a scenario found in all 3D projection systems.

Until now, RealD ghostbusting has been applied to content during the mastering process. Cinema operators with RealD Cinema Systems received ghostbusted masters for use in their theatres. Now, RealD is enabling ghostbusting through its RealD 3D EQ technology as a real-time feature in digital cinema servers and projectors worldwide. The ghostbusting process will be applied to the content as it is presented to the projector during playback.

RealD's exhibitor partners worldwide should begin upgrading their systems with RealD 3D EQ and enable this feature when they conclude the run of 'Avatar.' 'Avatar' will be the last digital 3D release to be distributed with a RealD ghostbusted master.

The best time to do the upgrade will be during the runs of 'Alice in Wonderland,' from Disney, and of 'How to Train Your Dragon,' from Paramount. These movies do not have ghostbusted masters available but they are being mastered by the studio to work with or without the RealD 3D EQ system on your server. While it is perfectly safe to upgrade your system during the run of a movie, this is not an urgent upgrade. RealD recommends implementing this feature according to your normal software upgrade procedures.

RealD 3D EQ is intended to run whenever a 3D movie is playing. Once RealD 3D EQ is enabled in the server, that theatre should no longer run any masters that have been pre-ghostbusted.

RealD 3D EQ ghostbusting is available now on Doremi, Dolby, and Qube servers as well as in the Sony 4K projector. Click on this link to access our web page where you can download the specific instructions for these platforms.

http://www.reald.com/3deqinstructions

Other servers will be offering the ghostbusting feature soon. Please check this link periodically for updates.

Questions or problems can be sent to cinema-support@reald.com.

Thanks for your continued support of RealD Cinema Systems.

Best Regards,

Rod Archer | Vice President of Cinema Products
REAL D
5335 Sterling Drive
Boulder, CO 80301
http://www.reald.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 04:07 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adrian Hauser
In the Barco Dolby3D system we have here one has to measure the color primaries of each eye (through the glasses optics) and place those values into the Barco software for it too balance the eyes correctly. Only then does the antiGhosting appear the best.

And so you should. Dolby requires the colour correction due to the Infitek system tricking the light spectrum in more simple words. Dolby is the only system out there which requires to balance the colours evenly and what it does it actually brings the strong eye to the lesser eye because it cannot boost. The result when correctly callibrated is better than other systems. X-Pand though beats in brightness.
Demetris

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-11-2010 05:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your Barco has the ability to input colors for each eye? Really? Is it a DCinema machine? Normally, one enters the colors into the DCinema player (that is Dolby 3D compatible).

Steve

Adrian Hauser
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 06:16 AM      Profile for Adrian Hauser   Author's Homepage   Email Adrian Hauser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve you are correct.
My mistake. The XYZ primary color coordinates are keyed into the Server. We dont have a DCP server/player as we are grading in a post production environment so instead I put the color correction matrix over the output of each eye on our Baselight Color Grading Hardware.

Adrian

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2010 06:17 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is correct. It's the server you input. Guess rushed to answer. But in the Barco you sync the filter wheel via their communicator software (considering is not a DP3000 which uses the standard Dolby 3D Package)
Demetris

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 12-01-2017 12:27 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2730 days since the last post.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-01-2017 12:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking for something else and stumbled upon this thread.

It is now possible, if not preferable to do Dolby color correction at the projector (Series 2). It is possible on all DLP based projectors though Barco's software (Communicator) hand holds you through the process, including eye balance. One can also do it via the DLP software right on the ICP.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: