Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Connecting Ad digital unit to work with automation

Author Topic: Connecting Ad digital unit to work with automation
Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-21-2010 10:13 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all - I'm helping out a small twin in this area and need a bit of help since I need some refreshment on this issue:

Equipment: STRONG booth - X-90 consoles with CPA-10 automations.

They want to connect up the projectors, which is also connected up to a DVD player to run pre-show ads, via the automation so when they hit the "RUN" button or clock start, the small EPSON projectors will shut off automatically and come back on when douser closes.

Now, I know that if you use the DB-9 female control connection on the back of the projector to the automation that this is how the automation will control the projector to turn on and off from an external source.

..but, for the life of me, I can't remember how this all got connected to work correctly since my previous place of employment used a system like this to control the projectors via a connection to the automation.

Thus, a little help is needed to solve this issue for me so I can finish up on this service call request.

thx bunch - Monte

|  IP: Logged

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2010 02:17 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest looking into a micro controller with a serial port like an audriano they are 50 dollars each even less now and have a few inputs if your projector doesn't have contact closer inputs.
From their program it to send a descrete on off command and write a small program to turn it on and off.
http://www.arduino.cc/ Homepage for microcontrollers

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-23-2010 02:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We make our own using a pic micro and a max232 chip
it does require one to right there own basic code but they are stable

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: