Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » preferred Blu-Ray player for cinema use

Author Topic: preferred Blu-Ray player for cinema use
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-19-2010 09:07 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first year that anyone has asked me about Blu-Ray screenings in a cinema.

What is the machine to get? The on-screen display needs to be able to be disabled, and it needs to be fast and, ideally, region-free (is there such a thing with Blu-Ray?).

I have worked with the first-generation Sony, which is slow and doesn't play music CDs (!); the current Oppo is fast, but (I believe) not region-free, and I have not been able to figure out how to turn off the on-screen display.

A bit of googling reveals that there are companies which sell Blu-ray players with HD-SDI outputs. Has anyone worked with these and are they a good way to avoid HDCP issues and HDMI run length limits?

RS232 control would be a nice-to-have.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2010 09:37 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott

If using a PC check out this solution. It is loaded with unique features
http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT3P

This company sells players region free as well as with HD SDI output.
http://www.jvbdigital.com/jvb.asp?cur=2&level=modifications&page=browse&searchtype=brand&searchstring=BluRay

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-19-2010 09:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.oppodigital.com/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: