Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie manufacturing delays (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Christie manufacturing delays
Chris Tan
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2010 03:43 AM      Profile for Chris Tan   Email Chris Tan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello guys,

has anyone had Christie tell them it will be 6 months before they can supply them a projector? We were shocked to learn a CP2220, if ordered this week, would be leaving the factory on the 19th December 2010!!.

The sales rep mentioned it was due to TI being unable to supply enough DMD chips. Have installs picked up world wide? or has a big circuit somewhere ordered thousands of projectors?

Is this related to Barco not having series 2 ready yet?
Before Christmas Christie was saying they were only at 50% capacity

Thanks for your comments,
Chris Tan

|  IP: Logged

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2010 04:18 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I have seen correct there are already Barco serie 2 projectors installed.
There was one installed in Lille -France in march.

There is a newsflash on youtube (sorry french spoken) Link to video

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2010 07:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't waste your money and what could be revenue generating time waiting for a Christie! Look into the NEC Series 2 projectors. NEC has now left all the others in the dust. You will also save big $$ if you are doing a full complex with digital. The NEC Series 2 projectors are VERY impressive! Go with either GDC or Doremi server. Anything else is a waaste of time.

Mark

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2010 11:33 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to your question if installs have picked up, yes. I am seeing hundreds of new screens come through here every week.

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2010 05:15 PM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Don't waste your money and what could be revenue generating time waiting for a Christie! Look into the NEC Series 2 projectors. NEC has now left all the others in the dust. You will also save big $$ if you are doing a full complex with digital. The NEC Series 2 projectors are VERY impressive! Go with either GDC or Doremi server. Anything else is a waaste of time.

Mark,I have noticed you really do change your mind on things quite a bit... I think I can find posts from you endorsing and hating every piece of equipment ever made on here! [Wink]

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-12-2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Brendan I was thinking the same thing....and Mark has also gone from pro-digital to anti-digital back to pro-digital again. [Big Grin]

I guess it depends on who he's working for at the time. [Smile]

I have worked with the NEC and it is not bad at all, but I would still use Christie for their support is better than the others.

Don't even get me started on Sony...

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 05-12-2010 05:28 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony.

...what about Sony? [evil]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2010 09:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
I would still use Christie for their support is better than the others.

Tony,

After many installs of Christie DLP I have found their support to be just the opposite! The digital phone support people rarely have any answers for you and have to check with someone else and get back to you. They have a number of knowledgable people that re too busy to field phone calls. On the other hand the two times I have had to call Strong for support on the NEC 2000 I was immediately put through to someone WHO HAD THE ANSWERS! Here is my list of support listed from best to worst by the quality of phone support I have gotten over the last several years.

Strong/NEC/Eprad are tops based on my experience.

Christie Film Projector Tech Support (Jim Graeton is super!)

Christie Phone Digital Support

BARCO Digital Phone Support

I may be puttin in digital but be sure to remember my company's trademark motto... "We're not leaving film behind..."

Mark

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2010 10:01 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco series 2 are out here in the states as well. Our Bountiful site has some, as well as our corporate theatre. We are scheduled to get 2 mid-sized and 2 small units in August.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-13-2010 12:09 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed a Barco Series 2 and two Christie 2220 on the same week.

Both worked well.

Christie service has always been very good. Rodney Dye is my favorite Christie guy.

Medwyn Gillespie of Barco has always been great as well.

They answer the phone and follow through; what else can one ask? We're all on the learning curve here.

I have zero experience with NEC.

Mark honestly believes whatever he believes that day. Nothing to do with anything practical like who pays his salary.
A totally free agent.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2010 08:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
Mark honestly believes whatever he believes that day.
Yep! and if Mark finds something better the next day he will probably mention that as well. As fast as D-Cinema is changing you can expect that. I agree on Rodney, but good luck getting ahold of him... If he's not doing a training class he is uaually out of the country. He eventually does call back every time but if he's OOTC it may be a week or ten days before he can.

quote: Sam D. Chavez
Nothing to do with anything practical like who pays his salary.
A totally free agent.

I donno, the same people have been paying my salary for about the last 8 or 9 years. So not necessarily a free agent... I prefer to keep costs down and still offer my customers a top quality product. NEC has allowed that to happen more so than the other two manufacturers. Not such a bad thing really.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 05-13-2010 10:14 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a gentle joke son. No harm intended. We all have our style.

By getting paid by the same people, you are referring to the end customer, not your employer, I'm thinking.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-13-2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I have the advantage of living within 25 miles of Christie Digital so getting support is never a problem. [Big Grin]

My primary criteria is how quickly I can get parts/replacement lamps, and with Christie I can make a phone call and have the parts ready for pickup within a few hours.

Ian, One merely has to look at any thread involving Sony (or SDDS) to find out how I feel about them. [Big Grin]

Do a search under my user name and you'll see. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-13-2010 08:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
I realize it. It is interesting though how those same customers have been paying my salery all these years with the funds just going through different channels to get to me.

Tony... Just went though a big ordeal with Christie on a ZX. They sent multiple FFIB boards that were bad to the tech before I was asked to look at the projector. The projector acted up about once every 10 days like clockwork. The method of diagnosis was uber simple... just swap boards between two of projectors and see if the problem followed. It did not follow so the light engine was at fault. Diagnosis took less than 10 days of run time. So why didn't Christie support have the previous tech do that? Pretty basic stuff that they missed IMHO. Sadly, the problem went on for 8 months before the simple diagnosis and the light engine was finally replaced under warranty.

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 05-13-2010 09:53 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mark, I have to disagree with you on the "simple diagnosis/basic stuff" part of your story. First off, if it is possible that the boards were causing the problem, I too would have swapped them first as I'm pretty sure the board is a LOT less costly than the light engine. [Roll Eyes]

And if the problem didn't follow I'm having some confusion on how you posit that "multiple FFIB boards that were bad"...if the boards were bad wouldn't they have failed out when swapped to another machine? Or failed right off the bat? Or perhaps was the faulty light engine killing the boards?

First principle of good troubleshooting is check the simple stuff first. You don't replace the rectifier before you try a new bulb first, right? (Or for that matter make sure the rectifier is working before changing the bulb.)

If the light engine was the obvious solution to you, did you suggest it to the tech anytime during that 8 month period? Any good tech would not be insulted and would be grateful for the tip, as no one is perfect. (I frequently sought out advice during my service days. Still do if I run into something odd.)

Also, one tech who was deficient in knowledge in your opinion does not necessarily mean that a company's total support is bad.

Finally, remember that this whole D-Crapema circus is an immature technology unlike film which is proven with well over a century of world-wide usage. [Big Grin]

All of the above is just my perspective based on what is written in your post. Your actual mileage may vary. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: