Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS200 GPIO and automation cues (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DSS200 GPIO and automation cues
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-09-2010 02:55 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to get a grip on DSS200 GPIOs and automation cues? The installation manual only mentions the GPIO usage for 'Lights On' and has a general reference to the serial and ethernet automation option. Ho do I set up and use automation cues in playlists for these automation interfaces?

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2010 04:18 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GPIO is actually only enabled in the latest software version only for triggering transport buttons on the server via external contact closures. For anything mire advanced you need to hook an NA10 unit.
Demetris

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-09-2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. Anything known about the serial interface?

I guess that Dolby would at least enable it to control older CPs without ethernet?

- Carsten

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2010 01:48 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to dissapoint you but for the time being nope!
[Big Grin]

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2010 02:22 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or use a serial automation interface. You could program a PLC if you're that way inclined.

There are various devices on the market from various manufacturers.

I designed one for our installs, fairly basic it gives you 16 relay output, and 16 opto-isolated inputs. In reality you only really want Stop, Start, Pause and Emergency. In real reality we've only ever used Start and Emergency. We can control Tabs, Masking, House Lights, Stage Lights & Sound Format.

The NA10 is a good piece of kit, but way over specified for most installs, and very expensive. Also there is no dedicated easy way to define a Emergency (Fire Alarm) input.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-10-2010 05:17 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, would I be able to use this serial automation interface from the DSS200? Maybe I don't get your approach?

You mean I could use external automation and control the DSS200 through GPIO the way Demetris described it - just basic transport?

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-10-2010 06:39 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The current software (4.x.x) will allow transport controls via the GPIO and I believe there are a couple of outputs status given.

Via serial, you can define the strings you want the DSS200 to listen to or to send out as "cues"...thus any serially controlled device can get a cue.

As for the NA10 and Emergency...oh that is defined...just not written anywhere. I'm not near my notes but it is something to the effect of "ShowStopOn" or something near that. The actual command will stop the show and turn the lights on.

Steve

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2010 08:26 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten,

From the DSS200/100, via serial we control theatre functions, I named them as I described above, but you can of course name them how you wish. We also have the DSS200/100 listening for control via serial. Whilst you can program the output cues as you wish, you are limited to STOP, START and PAUSE for serial input cues. In the real world this is fine.

Steve,

The issue with the NA10. Here in the UK, depending on the mood of local council licensing and fire inspectors, it is usually a legal requirement to extinguish the lamp as well as raise lights and stop show. We couldn't find an easy way of doing that, in fact to the letter of the law it should shut down on xenon lamp failure too. Both easily enough done with our box, and you can knock a '0' off the end of the price of an NA10.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2010 08:53 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the Christie ACT for serial automation with my Dolby servers and it works well, less expensive then the Dolby automation as well.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-10-2010 09:43 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>Via serial, you can define the strings you want the DSS200 to listen to or to send out as "cues"...thus any serially controlled device can get a cue.

Thanks - that's what I was looking for. Where and how do I define these strings, there must be some kind of macro/cue editor in the software then?

- Carsten

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2010 11:12 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten, it's all in Show Manager, either local or the PC Client. Details are in the installers manual.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 05-10-2010 05:27 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received the DSS200 Installation manual PDF, issue 1, software version 4.1

And yes, seems to be there, on page 48, 'Importing and Exporting Serial Automation Cues' (from/to USB-Memory). Doesn't say anything about the format of the file I expect it to write. Probably just look into it and find a simple ASCII table. One needs to get a configuration password from Dolby to be able to do this using the 'serial' login name.

- Carsten

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2010 06:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten, do you even have a Dolby server?

Just go to the system tab, then click on serial automation.
If you cant see serial automation, click on auditorium and check the box that says "this auditorium uses serial automation"

Just type in any name and serial command that you want.
 -

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told recently that the NA-10 will soon be phased out in favor of GPIO automation.

Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2010 05:38 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten, you're confusing setting up the serial cues with importing/exporting them. Only import/export involves USB sticks and serial passwords. Setting them up in the first place is all done through the GUI Show Manager.

A word to the wise about iporting/exporting cues. The system will export cues to a USB drive and import them from a USB drive. But it does not import/export the serial settings (baud rate etc).

Mark, that would not surprise me, it's way over spec'd and way over priced.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: