Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Put My Own Hard Drive in the Server

Author Topic: Put My Own Hard Drive in the Server
Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2010 10:56 PM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sure I saw a post around here somewhere that talked about where to get a sled (?) to use for the hard drive bay in a digital cinema server. I can't find it now. Maybe I was dreaming.

I want to find an enclosure that I can put my own hard drive in so I can transfer my content to the server using the drive bay instead of USB.

Does anyone know who makes those and what they are called?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-22-2010 03:40 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alex.

I think they are called "hard drive docking cages". These are units that are installed into the cases of computers which allow hard drives to be slid into and out of the system fairly easily.

This is one type --->

HP Media Center Hard Drive/Personal Media Drive Cage

Let us know if this is what you're looking for.

Cheers
Ian

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-22-2010 05:23 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Alex Shultz

Put My Own Hard Drive in the Server
Fa nar...fa nar... [Wink]

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2010 05:48 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are called CRU drives.

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2010 10:09 AM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look around. Thanks.

I just realized I did not start this topic in the Straight to Digital forum like I meant to do. Sorry everyone. Is there a way to move it?

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2010 11:03 AM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are looking for the Dx-115
http://www.cru-dataport.com/products/Data-Express-DX115.php

The DX-115 "carrier" is is actual housing for the hard drive. The "move dock" is the end that slides on so you can use USB.

I have a couple. Work great. I slapped a huge sticker on there so that projectionists don't get it confused with the 2K movie drives and send it back to the distributor.

You will want to format the hard drive to Ext 2/3 first so that it will be able to work on all servers.

Alex Shultz
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2010 12:01 PM      Profile for Alex Shultz   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Shultz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

Thanks for that extra info. Exactly what I want. That should help a lot to have something like that. Good idea about the sticker. I'm the projectionist staff as well but I've done some boneheaded things in the past and putting the wrong drive in the box to send back seems like it could happen on a really busy day.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: