Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Regal Theatre's RPX "Regal Premium Experience" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Regal Theatre's RPX "Regal Premium Experience"
Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2010 09:13 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that Regal will be outfitting certain theatres and their auditoriums to feature the "Regal Premium Experience":

~~~~~

Regal Entertainment Group Launches New Giant Screen Format RPX: Regal Premium Experience(SM)
Theatres to offer an enhanced experience in sight and sound

KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Apr 08, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Regal Entertainment Group a leading motion picture exhibitor owning and operating the largest theatre circuit in the United States, announced the launch of a new giant screen all-digital format called the Regal Premium Experience(SM) ("RPX"). The RPX is a custom-built premium environment featuring elegant and luxurious seats with high-back headrests, a giant immersive screen illuminated by high-quality digital projectors and completed with a state-of-the-art sound system for the best picture you've ever heard!

"Regal patrons have shown a strong preference for viewing films in premium environments," stated Greg Dunn, President and Chief Operating Officer for Regal Entertainment Group. "Each RPX location will be individually designed and tailored by our technicians and will feature high-quality digital projectors and screens complemented by a custom surround sound system. The addition of the RPX locations to Regal's already successful IMAX(R) strategy will complement and extend the number of Regal theatres featuring premium movie-going experiences."

Regal Entertainment Group currently operates 43 IMAX(R) Theatres. The company expects to add The IMAX Experience(R) to additional locations while also launching additional RPX locations in 2010.

The first RPX location will open on May 7 at Regal Cinemas E-Walk Stadium 13 on 42nd Street in New York. The Regal Premium Experience at E-Walk will include a massive screen stretching more than 60 feet wide to present bright, eye-popping movies in RealD 3D and 2D. The brightest, clearest images possible are delivered to the screen by dual 30,000 lumen digital projectors. The 100,000 watt digital audio system will surround moviegoers in a specially designed 9.1 speaker array providing pinpoint sound. This powerful sound system incorporates 273 loudspeaker components including eight 21" subwoofers for deep resonating bass.

Tickets for Iron Man 2 in RPX at Regal Cinemas E-Walk Stadium 13 will be on-sale this Friday, April 9th, 2010.

~~~

has anyone heard what other theatres in the chain will get the upgrade? although I'm not jumping and down over the $18.50 ticket price that seems to be pushing it in my opinion. $14.50 for Cinemark's XD screen at the Egyptian is the highest I've paid so far for the big screen experience. I'd pick these alternative screens over the IMAX-lite screens any day.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-19-2010 10:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet that REG is moving forward to do anything to stay ahead of the home entertainment invasion.

And, I bet that other "big box" circuits will follow suit.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2010 10:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well... other theatre chains have:

Cinemark has 'Extreme Digital' screens

~

Marcus Theatres®, a division of The Marcus Corporation (NYSE: MCS), today announced it will install digital 3D systems in eight of its signature 70-foot-wide UltraScreens® in select theatre locations and will be branded as UltraScreen XL3D.

~

AMC is rolling out its ETX Format in theaters with a combination of packaged amenities.

AMC Theaters has announced a new way for movie goers to experience films on the big screen with the AMC Enhanced Theatre Experience (ETX).

This new movie-going experience will have:
- 20% larger screens
- An upgraded sound system
- 3D technology
- Digital projection
- 12 audio channels with 50,000 watts of power

ETX will debut in the United States on March 5th at the AMC Theatre at Downtown Disney in the Walt Disney World Resort.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2010 10:59 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The letter "X" is the key to the ultimate digital big-screen experience, I gather...

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2010 11:17 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that for Cinemark's XD systems and specifically the Egyptian's XD screen it uses a Barco 2K projector - I'd like to know if any of these future ultra large screen systems such as the upcoming Regal and AMC screens will be using digital projection systems that utilize Texas Instrument 4K technology - I'd assume these screens need a tremendous amount of light and higher resolution. 'How to Train Your Dragon' on the XD screen incidently trounced the 4K Sony digital projection I saw, with greater luminence and more visual detail

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-19-2010 11:22 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'X' has been part of the big screen experience for years.

-

...and some 'not-so' big screens. [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 04-19-2010 11:31 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What good is a 9.1 sound system if the movies aren't recorded in it?... or is that how they're coming out and I just missed it?

Jack (did I really need that red light reader?)

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 12:34 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its very interesting, this is similar to the Digital IMAX and I'm glad theaters are moving away from it. I'm always disappointed to go for an IMAX and find out that its only lie-max. This way they are moving away from the IMAX brand plus its going to be easier for customers to understand exactly what they are getting.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2010 01:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
THX worked back in the day because it was a standard that the presenting company did NOT own and had to meet a strict standard to be able to brand it a THX auditorium.

Now everyone is just doing whatever they want and making up some silly name. Soon there will be so many SPX, HPX, XT3D, whatever names out there, people will learn to ignore them.

In my opinion, these 60-80 foot images with super high gain screens are doing a disservice to the experience. They should be using dual projection and technically doing it RIGHT instead of bullshitting the customers with the same projector and putting in nicer seats.

Of course customers are incredibly stupid, so I doubt most know or care.

Whatever.

To prove my point, below is a picture sent to me by a friend who decided to check out one of these "X-type" screens a few months back at a local theater. This image was running during the previews and has not been photoshopped or altered in any way other than to resize it slightly down so it would fit on the forum. As you can tell...NOT acceptable! [thumbsdown]

-

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-20-2010 02:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan Goeldner , that's not the memo I read. Here is the one I saw:

~~~~~

Regal Entertainment Group Launches New Giant Screen Format RPX: Regal Premium Experience(SM)
Theatres to offer a slightly more acceptable experience in sight and sound compared to their usual shtick.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Apr 08, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Regal Entertainment Group, a motion picture exhibitor owning and poorly operating the largest theatre circuit in the United States, announced the launch of a new giant screen all-digital format called the Regal Premium Experience(SM) ("RPX"). The RPX is a custom-built environment featuring slightly more expensive seats with built-in tissue dispensers to wipe away the tears created from spending so much money on a ticket to such a lousy auditorium, a decently large screen poorly illuminated by standard-quality digital projectors and completed with a sound system.

"Regal patrons have shown a strong preference for viewing films in premium environments," stated Greg Dunn, President and Chief Operating Officer for Regal Entertainment Group, "that's why Regal patrons never come back". "Each RPX location will be individually designed and tailored by our technicians on the fly because there are no standards to conform to in order to ensure quality and will feature regular digital projectors and screens complemented by a sound system. The addition of the RPX locations to Regal's IMAX® strategy will extend the number of Regal theatres featuring a nearly acceptable movie-going experiences at incredibly increased ticket prices." Dunn continued, noting that "Our customers are insanely stupid and that's why we believe they will pay the extra money for the special theatres."

Regal Entertainment Group currently operates 43 IMAX® Theatres, more than half of which do not feature real IMAX®. The company expects to add The IMAX Price® to tickets at additional locations while also launching additional RPX ticket prices in 2010.

The first RPX location will open on May 7 at Regal Cinemas E-Walk Stadium 13 on 42nd Street in New York which can be found next to one of the most popular crack-whore corners in all of Manhattan. The Regal Premium Experience at E-Walk will include a screen stretching more than 60 whole feet to present unevenly lit, boring movies in RealD 3D and 2D. The brightest, clearest images possible are featured at other exhibitor's theatres. The audio system will provide moviegoers with sound. This sound system incorporates loudspeaker components.

Tickets for Iron Man 2 in RPX at Regal Cinemas E-Walk Stadium 13 will be on-sale this Friday, April 9th, 2010 for $50 each. That's with the student discount during the matinee.

~~~

I wonder how many Regal assistant managers are giddy about this? I can't imagine anyone else being excited.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 08:43 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Redifer - that's a pretty funny read, sounds like someone from the Onion contributed in writing it. [Wink]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 04-20-2010 09:50 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An expensive race to the bottom that benefits neither the movie goer nor the theater owner.

The theaters that will succeed over the next few years will be the ones that make every single regularly priced show a premium experience by ensuring their staff is courteous and attentive, their screens are adequately lit, their sound systems are correctly tuned, and the auditoriums are clean and comfortable.

Time for the pendulum to swing away from the chains and back to the independents.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 10:50 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote up a piece on the Regal announcement, and it got me to thinking how RPX, AMC's new ETX, Cinemark's XD, and even Marcus' UltraScreens compare, and how they all relate to the IMAX hubbub that got stirred up about a year ago. What started out as a paragraph to end the RPX article turned into a separate article:

http://www.bigscreen.com/journal.php?id=1869

There's a bunch of history info there that I won't repost here, but the final part is:
quote:
Similar Features, Similar Upcharges, Less Uproar

Oddly enough, these IMAX competitors are offering many of the same features, and they are doing it while charging about the same upcharges that IMAX theaters are charging.

For example, the newly announced RPX installation at the Regal E-Walk 13 in New York City has a screen that is 60 feet wide, according to the press release issued by Regal Cinemas. The height is not mentioned, but if we assume that it is a 2.35:1 screen, the height should be 25.5 feet.

The nearby AMC Empire 25's IMAX screen is reportedly 58 feet by 28 feet. That's a 2:1 aspect ratio, so for the sake of comparison between the two, and since Iron Man 2 was shot in 2.35:1, let's put the effective height of its screen image at just over 24.5 feet.

That makes both screens virtually identical in size, with a difference of less than 4%. Both charge the same amount of money for a non-3D movie ($18.50 for an adult ticket to an evening show).

Since the relatively small IMAX screen at the AMC Empire 25 was held up as an example of what was wrong about what IMAX has been doing, I wonder if there will be any uproar at all over what Regal is announcing? Isn't it the same thing?

Marcus Gets It Right

At least with Marcus' UltraScreens, movie fans are getting some bang for their buck. In the Milwaukee, Wisconsin market, there are three UltraScreens and one IMAX screen (as well as one IMAX Dome, but that's best suited for documentaries intended to be shown on the domed screen).

The two UltraScreens at the Marcus Majestic Brookfield in Waukesha both measure 72 feet wide by 31 feet high (which comes to approximately 2.35:1). For a non-3D evening show, an adult will pay $11.00 for general seating.

In comparison, the AMC Mayfair Mall 18 in Wauwatosa (about 15 minutes away) has a new IMAX screen that measures 50 feet wide by 26.5 feet high, which is about 41% smaller than the Marcus UltraScreens. The current price for a non-3D adult evening ticket costs $14.50.

Marcus is definitely offering a value-packed proposition here. The ticket price is $3.50 less and you get a bigger picture. The 24,000 watt sound system can probably keep up nicely with that in the IMAX auditorium, and Marcus also recently upgraded the UltraScreens for 3D projection.

If more movie theaters were to follow Marcus' lead, IMAX would have even more to worry about!

It's great that there is competition in the big-screen market at movie theaters. However, we feel that audiences should get more bang for their hard-earned dollars than what we're seeing announced as alternatives to the IMAX experience. Since the audience is in control (we have the money that theaters want), we need to demand the best possible experiences for that money!

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 11:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, who CARES about how big the screen is or the sound?

Is this going to be 4K? In Cleveland, AMC just put in a pair of 4K projectors at their two remaining locations.

They now have BETTER quality than all but maybe the XD at the big Cinemark here.

But because they don't have stupid name or catch-phrase, like "XD3D" (theirs weren't an official part of the AMC rollout mentioned here), people are going to go to the 2K installations instead?

This industry needs to educate its customers, even put in "12 MEGAPIXEL 4K projection!" or something like that in the paper, because the moviegoers really are clueless at this point.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-20-2010 11:19 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I hope they bring back to Torus screens!!!

Imagine how 3D would look on those!!!

[Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: