Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Series 2 NEC projectors: Anyone? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Series 2 NEC projectors: Anyone?
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2010 04:43 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone has already installed one of the new NEC's and what their opinion may be.

A friend is looking into two units and is debating between Barco and NEC, since it seems nobody can get a hold of Christie's equivalents for a LONG time.

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/SubClass/?subclass=Projectors

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-20-2010 01:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I just installed a new comlpex with series 2 Christies a few weeks ago. Have another complex in a couple of weeks. They are in production.

If for whatever reason you can't get the Christie though, go with Barco.

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 01:55 AM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, got some pix??? Last install you did was pretty cool.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2010 01:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two comming up in the next several weeks. The NEC 2000 is nothing like the old 1600. Inside it's neat and clean.. like a Christie... and light engine removal is easy... three captive screws and three plugs and it's out. Future conversion to 4K will take about 20 min. Oh and should I mention they have actual real line of bases, 5 different ones depending on your requirements. Not the make believe bases Christie has been selling. IMHO the extra money spent (about 8 grand for nothing gained) on the Christie is money wasted. The Christie projector costs more, the lensing costs more, etc. The NEC 2000's .98" light engine(or the BARCO's, or like in the smaller Christie) is going to give better on screen performance and have higher optical efficiency than the 1.2" light engine in the Christie. The NEC and BARCO also accepts up to a 4kw lamp... the Christie only a 3kw. So if you're going 3-D then you will have to burn even more money in the camp fire to get the larger Christie. All in all Christie's line up doesn't make sense... Barco and NEC certainly do. As for reliability... you'd stand the same chance with any of the three. All the circuitry is either designed by T.I. or approved by them. You just have to decide how much extra money you have to flush down the toilet when deciding who's to buy.

Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2010 06:12 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that really Mark suggesting that there are projectors other than Christie which are worth buying? [Eek!]

Mark I know you'd been poorly lately but I didn't know it had affected you that much! [Big Grin]

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2010 06:46 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember another post where Mark said that Christie is the only company who got their stuff right! Times change don't they [Big Grin] Nothing against you Mark its just a fact that with D-Cinema there is no better or worse on end result which is image on screen (unlike 35mm projectors). I don't like Christie. I would go with Barco anyday especially in the new series after significant improvements.
Demetris

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2010 11:47 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main problem with Christie, besides $$$, is that my friend has gotten quotes for delivery WAY beyond (end of year) his installation goal, which is ASAP. New Barcos we like, new NECs we don't know since there is not a whole lot of info nor first-hand experience.

Depending on remaining price quotes, we'll likely go dual polarized Barcos for these two screens (4 projectors). Master Image is asking WAY too much for their wheel, almost the same as one 0.98" projector, so it's a no brainer getting two smaller projectors instead of one bigger one+MI ...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-22-2010 11:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Before Christie was the best one to be selling and the easiest one to be servicing. However I've had many issues with FFIB boards, even new ones out of the box from Christie that do not even function!! However after seeing that the insides of the new NEC line at Showoest they have done a remarkable job and they are even easier to service then the equivalent Christies are. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Demetris.... The other fact is that a person can end up paying lots more for that digital image on his screen than he should be and when he doesn't really have to!!

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2010 12:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Put a GDC server with that NEC unit and that's a nice package to play with..

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-24-2010 05:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio,

The mid size NEC and Mid size BARCO are more or less the same projector. NEC seals the DMDs a different way in which the entire light engine does not have to be sealed up. I still see absolutely no advantage to sealing the entire unit from a servicibiility standpoint. It will certainly add much cost to any replacement light engine or repairing a simple coolant connection that might spring a leak if/when it is ever required.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2010 03:26 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark sealed engine is a spec in the DCI if I am not mistaken. The new Barco C series are the first which have passed the DCI cert.
Demetris

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-25-2010 06:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you are mistaken.

The sealing that is being referred to is one to keep contaminants out. There are security interlocks for the electronics in all of the DCinema projectors, with logging. I know, for a fact, if you pull and replace those covers in a Barco, even with the power unplugged...you will get a logged security breach, which must be reset before the projector will work again.

As for the image...well you are projecting that on the screen so there is no need, for security reasons, to seal them up. All of the projectors watermark their image to identify which theatre the recording activities were done in.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-25-2010 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is indeed 100% correct. The NEC projectors have just the face of the DMDs sealed to the prism surfaces for elimination of dust contamination. This still allows for repairs to the cooling loop if ever required and eliminates the massive connector that BACRO uses and that has not been without it's own set of problems. This might even be a better option than Christie's DMD blower system which uses another smaller hepa filter to suck in air from the "already filtered internal air flow". However I've heard stories from Christie themselves of the DMDs in their projectors getting completely covered with plaster dust from theaters that installed them before a preliminary construction clean up was completed. BTW: I hate that stupid BARCO keypad to reset the projector. No one else uses it! Oompa!

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-25-2010 10:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well on the later projectors, they use the Macro buttons as the keypad. I do like that Barco has built in manual controls for the basic functions (lens, macro, douser...etc) without having to use a clunky interface or need a "stylus" to work a small touch panel. However, Barco does offer one the ability to have a small touch panel and need a small stylus.

Steve

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2010 01:28 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Barco does not offer the ability to change a lamp without that small touchpanel and stylus! So a service tech needs to change the lamp with the Communicator software.
Demetris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: