Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Silver 3d paint? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Silver 3d paint?
Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2010 01:52 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I installed a silver screen recently and paint was chipping off and over all it didn't look great. So as an option for future options I thought of paint. Does anyone have experience with painting silver over a regular matt screen?
http://www.paintonscreen.com/3dprojectionscreen.html

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2010 02:03 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you installed it recently. Is it a new screen or used?

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2010 02:47 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard, it was a new screen. Honestly I didn't make note of the manufacturer, I was just asked to install. I'll find out if I can and post.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 04-13-2010 05:18 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Digital Paint????

-

High reflectivity paint I can understand.

Aluminized paint, yes.

Silver paint, ditto....

but DIGITAL Paint???

Apart from the very dubious advertising of this company, if you installed a NEW silver screen and it's flaking, CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER.

If you try and use this "digital paint" not only would you destroy the screen, you will also loose any hope of a guarantee claim.

..and if it IS flaking and new, I would also never use that company's products again.

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2010 09:57 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The name of the MFG was: STRONG / MDI
1440 Raoul-Charrette
Joliette, Quebec
Canada
Ian, yes it may be questionable, however, I understand that the gain of any screen can drop considerably only after a few months in service. I once painted a screen with technicote with white screen paint with good results. I just priced a good quality silver screen that was way beyond what a screen should cost and I suggested painting it. My question is, has anyone done it and what are the results?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-13-2010 10:08 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet it has to be sprayed totally evenly since any flaws in the spraying techniques would really show up when light hits the surface.

..why it's more common to replace a silver screen when flaws begin to show or have shown than even try to repaint it - why also you never clean a silver screen when someone throws soda drinks on it for the clean spot will be apparent when the light hits the surface.

-Monte

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2010 10:35 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stewart sprays their silver upside down to minimize over spray
( mottle effect)

Hurley prints their silver.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-14-2010 12:10 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had a MDI screen have coating issues yet

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-14-2010 08:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan Bodge
I just priced a good quality silver screen that was way beyond what a screen should cost and I suggested painting it. My question is, has anyone done it and what are the results?
Says who? I'm finding that Silver screens are going for anywhere between $7.50 and $9.00 per square foot. They are all more expensive than their white counterparts and they generally are of poorer quality than their white counterparts (blemishes, eveness....etc). Some clearly are worse than others. Now if you price Stewart....then yes it will seem excessive. They are typically 3-5 times as expensive as typical cinema screens. I don't have experience with them on Silver but their white screens really do pop better than others. Their gain is always spot on too...few others have that sort of consistency. They are also (really) seamless. That said, they are too pricey for most cinema use but not for screening rooms.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2010 10:02 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that the gain of any screen can drop considerably only after a few months in service. I once painted a screen with technicote with white screen paint with good results. I just priced a good quality silver screen that was way beyond what a screen should cost and I suggested painting it. My question is, has anyone done it and what are the results?
Stewart once told me Silver has a gain of around 18 which has to be muted to a usable gain. The screen then gets another coating which determines its final gain. It is this final coat that is the cause of smudges and finger prints ( difference in surface gain ) making Silver high maintenance.

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2010 11:15 AM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quote was from Stewart. I've been in television projection for a few years, I do installations (Colbert Report for example) interview desk rear projection and I forget that a screen for a major show costing 10 or 20 grand is just part of the budget. When I help old cinema friends out I should remember that they are on a tight budget. BTW, on Colbert we used Christie micro tiles around his desk. Amazing product.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2010 04:04 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, on Colbert we used Christie micro tiles around his desk. Amazing product.

The Micro tile industry is booming and product is evolving. A good possibility ( years ) we could see front projection large screen replaced with a back lit technology.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-15-2010 10:08 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too long ago somebody here on Film-Tech reported receiving a can of "3D" paint from Technicote only to find that Technicoates label had been glued over the original ordinary silver paint label from Lowes.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 04-16-2010 09:58 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another good reason that Technikote is no longer with us. Louis

Jonathan Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2010 10:03 AM      Profile for Jonathan Smith   Email Jonathan Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought society had already reached a consensus that "3D" was the new catch phrase, not "digital."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: