Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Real world costs of digital conversion.

Author Topic: Real world costs of digital conversion.
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 09:55 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a rough quote a couple years ago and I think it came in around 65k for Christie equipment. We are still are 1-3 years away from adding a digital projector to our theatre, but I like to keep track of our upgrade costs so we can budget for them.

Here are the specs of our theatre.

1 Screen.
100ft throw.
33' wide scope screen with a small gain. Will need to change it to a silver screen.

We likely will not need any electrical or sound upgrades.

What is a likely ball park cost today to have a Christie package installed buying it outright? Leasing? How much additional to add 3D capability? 4K?

It seems like it is a bit of a secret to have exact equipment costs listed in public. I can go to many websites to see what new sound or 35mm equipment would cost, but haven't been able to find public list prices for digital projection equipment.

I don't really want to bother our tech with these questions until we are actually ready to do the work.

Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-03-2010 11:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would find it unlikely that you would have actually only spent $65K on a system...soup to nuts.

As for sound...you say you don't need any upgrades...do you have AES audio input capability? There are some servers that do offer an analog output option...not the best D/A converters, in my opinion. So likely there would be SOME sound work to be done though most of ours have only needed a means to get the digital audio into the system or those that want alternative content, having a processor that can handle some other inputs.

The throw, just like with film, MEANS NOTHING in the cost. Unless you are at an extreme in the lens ranges, they are almost always the same price. From one of our suppliers, our price for a projector includes the lens and the first lamp.

There is a wide range of projectors now available...from the big three, NEC and Christie have 3 a piece and Barco has 6 available so prices will vary there. Server prices vary too based on what suits you (just like with film equipment).

What 3D system do you want? You say a "Silver Screen" so I guess not Dolby 3D? Note, Dolby's 3D now has glasses at the $18.00 (list) range...so even losing half of them before you get 500 uses (life cycle), you are down to less than 10-cents/show...far less than Real-D's 50-75 cents. If you went with Dolby 3D, that would affect your projector price since it needs more light (only 10% efficient, versus 15% for Real-D, 18% for Master Image, 28% Real-D XL).

So, personally, I dislike posting "what a system should cost" since a system should be fitted to the user and the application. ASK YOUR DEALER...it is their job to tell you. I know our customers ask what it costs and if they are just looking for ball parks...I have pretty close numbers for them based on what they want.

Steve

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 04-03-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Street price of a Christie, Barco, or NEC for this size screen is about $60,000, complete with lens and two bulbs.

You will need coated port glass in any case and this will run from $300 to $1,100 depending on size.

You need a server and these run about $16,000, more or less.

Dolby 3D costs about $21,000, plus glasses at $17.00 each. There is the issue of washing the glasses and people deal with the washing all sorts of ways, including in the sink. A proper dishwasher will run $5,000 or more plus installation.

You could replace the screen with a 1.8 gain white screen and this would be perhaps $8.00/Ft. plus installation.

If you go Real D or Master Image, you will need a silver screen at perhaps $10.00 Ft.

Real D is a contractual arrangement, but very low cost initially. Glasses cost perhaps a $1.00 or less each

Master Image 3D is say $40,000, glasses the same as Real D.

I recently did two dual projector systems that use Master Image passive polarizing filters and this is a very straightforward approach, but does require two projectors and a stacking projection cart. The idea is, if 3D goes away in a few years you can move the second projector to another screen.

Prices vary widely but this will give you an idea.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 11:27 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input. I know there are a ton of variables, just was looking for ballpark figures. We will be calling our tech when it gets closer to the point where we want to do the installation.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-03-2010 12:54 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Christie clearance center is always nice for in warranty below list equipment.

http://www.christiedigital.com/amen/clearance/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: