Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP creation software for windows (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: DCP creation software for windows
Hordur Valgardsson
Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2010 07:06 AM      Profile for Hordur Valgardsson   Author's Homepage   Email Hordur Valgardsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all
i am wondering about if there is any software that is affordable that would convert various video and audio sources to DCP´s ?
Right now we have a dolby SCC2k machine that i´ve been using to convert movies and various materials to dcp´s for our local market, and i´ve created a website offering our services at http://dcinema.samfilm.is/
and for that i created strict delivery guidelines for quality control and since the dolby software only takes image sequences and converts them to jpeg2k.

but sometimes i just want a quick and easy way to convert some advertising or other material into DCP´s
for example if i recive a hi-def advertising @25fps in .mov and wanted to convert it to flat DCP format i would have to export it out as a .tiff sequence 1998x1080, slow the audio down to 24fps encode those .tiff frames to jpeg2k and attatch the audio, subtitles and jpeg2k frames to a playlist for the final playable DCP.

I think qube had some solution but that was abit to expensive when i looked into it, basically i want a program that accepts most common video formats and allows me to resize to scope or flat 4k or 2k and then the program would handle all the other stuff that i now have to do manually with the scc2k machine.

any ideas ?

|  IP: Logged

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2010 01:17 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DoReMi CineAsset software works - at one of our locations we encode our own ads. We start with a .mov file and go directly to DCP - the software will pad and/or scale the image to your specs.

The software keeps the native frame rate so a potential gotcha is some TMSs won't accept certain frame rates - you have to produce the .mov in the desired end frame rate.

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 03:27 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, are the resulting files J2K-compliant?

BTW, where do you work?

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-06-2010 09:44 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the conversion is to JP2K on the picture side, so far we have had to use the interop option as there are a few issues with using the SMPTE option and our Cinedigm LMS (of course wide SMPTE implementation is at least a year off so the option may not be complete). Pretty much any output can be used directly on the DoReMi - it is the LMS that rejects content based on items like the timecode offset not having a 2 digit hour (the workaround is to encode in the HI time zone).

I work in MI for a small exhibitor (56 screens) - our claims to fame are full cocktail bars and being the first to sign up to be 100% digital. Novi is where are main location is.

Mike Moreno
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2010 04:07 PM      Profile for Mike Moreno   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Moreno   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did you guys try with QUBE MASTER EXPRESS?

mike moreno
mexico

Hordur Valgardsson
Film Handler

- posted 04-09-2010 05:15 PM      Profile for Hordur Valgardsson   Author's Homepage   Email Hordur Valgardsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi and thanks for the suggestion, i have now tested demos of both the qube and doremi programs and both work well imo, and do what they say they do.

perfect solution for simple fast dcp creation, i am however abit turned off by the prizing, 3500eur is the prize of both solutions.
perhaps eventually freeware solutions such as http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html will offer this kind of conversion capability.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-15-2010 03:19 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have set up a free toolchain to create DCPs. It uses opensource software.

It centers around a tool that converts image sequences to J2K images series and packs them into MXF, together with Audio. The first intention was to make an easy tool availabe for DCI operators to create simple slide like DCPs for breaks, announcements, etc. It still has that function (create DCP from single image), but if you add free video conversion software, you can also feed various digital video formats to it. It might take some time to set up a smart workflow if you want to convert full length motion content regularly, and you need quite some disc space for the intermediate tiff sequences. Might not be as slick as the full blown DCP packages, but it works and it is free. Runs on Windows.

Docs and forum discussion only in german - but it has pictures ;-) The base app is very easy to use. It get's more complicated if you want to feed video to it from external programs. So this is not really what Hordur was requesting, but it still might be useful to a few people who can not spend thousands on a full-fledged DCP suite.

http://www.terminal-entry.de/misc/dcp-tools.rar
http://www.terminal-entry.de/misc/DCPC-Manual.pdf
http://forum.filmvorfuehrer.de/viewtopic.php?t=13856

- Carsten

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2010 10:41 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great, have been looking for something like this for a while. Now, though I had german in 7th and 8th grade, I remember almost nothing, an english translation would be greath, even just a google one would help... [Smile]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-16-2010 12:18 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get over the installation, the base app is very simple, it only has a few checkboxes to set and files to choose. Once you have this running. you can use whatever videosoftware as a frontend. You only need a way to export frame sequences.

I suggest you install it and try to create a still-image DCP first. Then go from there.
Of course you need to have an EXT3 filesystem driver to format drives, or a DCI server that supports FAT32/NTFS through USB media.

I might do a translation, I'll contact the programmer about it.

- Carsten

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2010 12:51 PM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have it figured out. Tried to make a still image DCP, but the color space must be wrong. The red was green .... I sadly don't have a server yet, but I get my first DCI installation in a few months. Tried it out in the easyDCP player software

EDIT: unchecked the sRGB -> XYZ tap in the setup, that fixed the colorspace... [Smile]

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so now i'm trying my luck with a 30 policy trailer, I prepared the video and audio, and got DCPC to start creating, but is taking a very long time. I admit, it's not the fastest computer in the world(P4 3ghz 2,5GB Ram), but it just seems to be frozen, using about 50% CPU + the output directory is not growing in size. How long should it usually take?

EDIT: after trying some times it seem, I sometimes get a glimpse of a DOS window in the background saying something in the way of "unknown file type not asdcp compatible" but it closes up instantly.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 04-17-2010 03:28 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this trailer is a video file, it doesn't work. DCPC only works on single images or image sequences. If you want to feed video to it, you have to use one of the programs mentioned/shown in the manual to first create image (TIFF) sequences from it, rescale to DCI resolution, extract + conform audio, etc. prior to encoding the DCP. The only 'easy' direct operation DCPC allows is to create a still image DCP of variable length with or without audio.

You have to conform image size and audio type to DCI specs yourself - the only thing DCDPC does for you is the optional color conversion - you always need it if you play your content on a DCI server and your source material stems from normal computer sources.

It looks wrong on the PC with the free Fraunhofer Player because the PC doesn't use XYZ colourspace (only the full DCP player supports on-the-fly color conversion). So, if the DCP looks wrong on your PC - it looks okay on the DCI-projection system, and vice versa.

As I said - Video->DCP is not point and shoot with this tool. But frankly, video-to-DCP conversion needs so many adjustments and considerations depending on your source material that you have to make up your mind about these issues profoundly anyway. But we have only started.

- Carsten

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2010 03:57 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got i working, I had put my .wav file with the bmp frames.. [Razz] However no sound on the resulting DCP.. I wanted to try again on a faster computer, but im having problems getteing dcpc to run on the other computer. after I start the encoding asdcp-test.exe fails with the message that LIBEAY32.dll is not a valid windows image. Dot net 3.5 is installede.

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 01:03 PM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..and what about windows 7, it doesn't seem to work here ether.

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2010 03:37 PM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never mind, with the new version (1.3.5.0) it's works fine [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: