Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » BARCO Simple Network Management Protocol

Author Topic: BARCO Simple Network Management Protocol
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 11:08 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading about the BARCO Simple Network Management Protocol for DP2000's on the Barco website document:
"...WhitePaper/TDE4131_00_whitepaper.pdf"
I can not provide a link because you have to log into Barco to access this.

This looks like an interesting interface to monitor projector parameters. One could set up a monitoring program to email someone when one of the parameters falls outside of its limits or when one of the failure events is set.

Has anyone here used this? I'm looking for some help with setting this up.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-25-2010 11:41 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be fairly easy to monitor this with standard monitoring software (almost everything understands SNMP now). I use and recommend Nagios (formerly known as "Netsaint"), but there are other options as well. HP Openview is expensive, but is the standard commercial industrial-strength option.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 01:16 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scott,

I checked out Nagois and it looks like it would work well with Linux. I don't have a Linux machine yet, but I have been contemplating building one up.

Are you a Linux user?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 03-25-2010 01:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do this sort of thing at my day job (film stuff is a hobby).

Nagios runs fine on Linux, Solaris, BSD, and most other Unix variants. It probably works on Windows, too. Setup is a bit of a bear, but it runs well once configured. It is not resource intensive and runs fine on older hardware.

If anyone has a machine running any of the above operating systems on a network that can talk to one of the projectors, and can give me ssh access and a copy of the SNMP documentation, let me know. I'd be willing to try to set this up if we could then post the configuration here for others to use. (If anyone is interested, send me email and we'll discuss setup and security implications.)

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 02:20 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have a Linux machine and the Barco connection setup in 3 weeks. I'll get back to you. Sounds like fun!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: