Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » CP2000-ZX Alarm Question

Author Topic: CP2000-ZX Alarm Question
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-21-2010 07:57 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This past Thursday the red error indicator came on and there is a message on CDP stating to press "enter" for alarm message. Upon pressing "enter" it goes to a screen that states "Expired> Yes" with no indication of "what" is expired. Everything seems to be working properly. Has anyone else had such an alarm message?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-21-2010 09:16 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The lamp has reached the end of its life, as defined in the Lamp Limit setting.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-22-2010 03:19 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Upon inspection, the installers must have not entered the correct lamp info. It shows a CDXL-30SD with no SN#. It actually has a CDXL-20 installed. It only has just over 2000hrs and looking at Christie's site its warrantied(100%) up to 2500 with an average life of 3500. I'll just let it run up to the 2500hr mark before changing then.

One other thing, does LampLoc depend on the lamp type info entered to self adjust the amperage? I noticed that the lamp was running at 61 amps on Avatar (3D).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-22-2010 10:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although yours was set to a lower current one thing to note is that setting the wrong lamp selection might cause too high of current condition on this smaller lamp... should it explode Christie would be able to tell that it was run out of spec and may not only refuse your lamp claim but your $8,000.00 reflector claim as well. Also, who was the dealer that set this system up. He not only should be shot be he should certainly be exposed here so no one else uses him!!

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-22-2010 11:12 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Lamp Expirey" time is set by the installer/technician. The factory setting is 2000 hours. Changing the lamp model will not change the warning. It is incumbent upon the installer to ensure the time is correct for the lamp installed. I, personally, wish it were automatic. Particularly if a theatre has a 2D lamp and a 3D one.

Steve

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-23-2010 12:56 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Mark, you are saying that the LampLoc uses the lamp info that the installer set to "know" what current to run the lamp?

I have placed a couple of calls with one of the guys that installed the system to get his input, but have not as of yet had any return calls. Its my understanding that this company also has the service contract on the equipment, so I will give them a chance to rectify the situation before "outing them".

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-23-2010 06:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, when the lamp is installed...that person chooses what lamp was installed (the projector can't "feel" it. That sets what the lamp's current range is.

Light Loc, if enabled will then note what illumination level has been deemed correct and try to maintain that. Over time it will need to raise current to keep the same light output and it will not stop raising the current until the limit set by the lamp type (set upon lamp installation) is reached.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-24-2010 12:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with having the wrong lamp selected is the possibility of running a given lamp at too high of current (or too low of current). At too high of current you face the probability of lamp explosion... I guess I should say very probably a lamp explosion! In your case had the lamp-loc not been turned and set as low as it was it may very well have exploded since it had the ability to apply up to 100 amps to your 2kw lamp!! Your reflector and heat filter would NOT have been covered since Christie would have analyzed the anode and cathode and found that excessive current was applied. Even your Lamp-Loc was not set properly! Who are these guys that did your install? They should clearly NOT be installing!

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-25-2010 01:19 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll be here next week to make the correction. We converted 2 screens and the other machine was set correctly. Sonic Equipment did both of our conversions. I can see how such an error can be made. I'm not quite ready to say "they" should be shot in the head or shouldn't be doing installs at this point since we've had very few problems/glitches with anything. The guys that did the install were very knowledgeable. We're all fallible and luckily they set the amp range correctly (or close enough). I'm sure if it hadn't, the bulb would have gone out or kaboom a long time ago. At least the 3D would have been super bright for a short while. [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: