Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Real D upgrade time

Author Topic: Real D upgrade time
Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-15-2010 01:09 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our office sent this memo from RealD to us last week, and figured we had already been sent a copy. We hadn't. I haven't seen anyone else post about this, so I wondering if anyone received it. No, haven't updated yet, but I will this week. I don't have a link, so this is only cut and paste.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
RealD Exhibitor Partner,

It is time to turn on your ghostbuster. Let me explain...

RealD introduced cinema ghostbusting five years ago to enhance 3D cinema presentations by reducing the amount of 'ghosting' or crosstalk between the left and right eye images - a scenario found in all 3D projection systems.

Until now, RealD ghostbusting has been applied to content during the mastering process. Cinema operators with RealD Cinema Systems received ghostbusted masters for use in their theatres. Now, RealD is enabling ghostbusting through its RealD 3D EQ technology as a real-time feature in digital cinema servers and projectors worldwide. The ghostbusting process will be applied to the content as it is presented to the projector during playback.

RealD's exhibitor partners worldwide should begin upgrading their systems with RealD 3D EQ and enable this feature when they conclude the run of 'Avatar.' 'Avatar' will be the last digital 3D release to be distributed with a RealD ghostbusted master.

The best time to do the upgrade will be during the runs of 'Alice in Wonderland,' from Disney, and of 'How to Train Your Dragon,' from Paramount. These movies do not have ghostbusted masters available but they are being mastered by the studio to work with or without the RealD 3D EQ system on your server. While it is perfectly safe to upgrade your system during the run of a movie, this is not an urgent upgrade. RealD recommends implementing this feature according to your normal software upgrade procedures.

RealD 3D EQ is intended to run whenever a 3D movie is playing. Once RealD 3D EQ is enabled in the server, that theatre should no longer run any masters that have been pre-ghostbusted.

RealD 3D EQ ghostbusting is available now on Doremi, Dolby, and Qube servers as well as in the Sony 4K projector. Click on this link to access our web page where you can download the specific instructions for these platforms.

http://www.reald.com/3deqinstructions

Other servers will be offering the ghostbusting feature soon. Please check this link periodically for updates.

Questions or problems can be sent to cinema-support@reald.com.

Thanks for your continued support of RealD Cinema Systems.

Best Regards,

Rod Archer | Vice President of Cinema Products
REAL D
5335 Sterling Drive
Boulder, CO 80301
http://www.reald.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: