Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco Series 2 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Barco Series 2
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 02:42 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks. Barco Series 2 Projectors are now online! Check their site

Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 05:47 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool.

Any indications on pricing and availability? Are they about the same as the previous model$? Generally more or less than NEC or Christie? Any thoughts on how they compare with the competition?

I like that they are using re-useable filters and standard lamps.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 06:21 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And they are also doing a tank based cooling system now instead of the dreaded pressured one! They look promising. The c series is already out. The b series will be out early summer or at least that is the claim. I cannot comment on pricing.
Demetris

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-13-2010 10:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their pricing is competitive with the other two...think about it. They have to be.

Barco has 6 projectors. Three based on .98" chip technology and three based on 1.2" technology. They overlap the 3KW/4KW lamp range. My personal prediction is that the 3KW projector will be much stronger in the "C" model (DP2K-15C) and the 4KW projector will favor the "B" model, once it is available. That is, as you move up the wattage range, you will tend to want the 4K upgradeable as well as more light for things like 3D. The incremental increase in cost for the "B" will be less in the bigger lamps too.

We'll see. Christie has three projectors to cover everyone. The CP2210,2220,2230. They correspond to the M, ZX, and X of last year. Only the 2210 is a .98" machine.

I don't know what NEC is offering in series 2.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 12:44 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the new series, NEC offers the NC3200S in 1.2" up to 7KW lamps and the NC2000C and NC1200C in 0.98" up to 4Kw and up to 2Kw respectively.

http://www.prevost.it/newnec2010.pdf

Also, is Barco boasting "open" upgradability of the B's to 4K resolution like Christie is? The way I read it, they are just implying that "about the same projector could easily be turned to a 4K projector" once the chips come from TI, but not that they would support "in the field" upgradability like Christie is implying.

Anyway. I like the new Barcos.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 01:49 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If TI ever gets the 4k chips out. In any case I doubt three new chips would cost low and I doubt Christie is upgradable just like that. They don't even know the way the 4k chip, if it comes out, will be utilised and how the circuits will flow since having different circuitry. Most probably in all cases the light engine will need to be changed as well as the interface and input boards since it will either use an internal media block or 4 hdsdi links.
Demetris

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 02:31 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's the thing. The new CP2220 and the bigger brother are supposed to already have a slot for the internal media block (there are even two 4K-ready media blocks announced) and compatible 4k single imager board inside that replaces the old 3 (or at least, it can be pulled out and replaced).

The theory, as I read on Christie marketing, is that you change the optical block and you got a 4K machine. You may need to change some of the electronic boards, but they imply whatever is needed for 4K upgrade is "easy" (read not too hard). They are not saying it'll be cheap, though.

Needless to say the lens may have to be changed, as the 4K is a bit larger than 1.25", and that it doesn't sound like it'll be cheap, but at least, Christie is openly promissing that it will be supported.

Anyway, upgrading a 2K projector to a 4K is probably not a wi$e route to take and more of a marketing ploy, but Christie is openly promising that the possibility is there and I was just wondering what is Barco's take on this and if they are making the same promise.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-13-2010 02:45 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it is considering you change the sealed light engine. All this 4k ready is pointless since you will pay a significant amount for a new light engine. Barco NEC Christie. To make them 4k the most expensive part of the projector will need to be changed. They are the same as the series one with the main difference that the series 2 boards and mainboards are supposed to be ready for the 4k. When TI screws us all and go directly to 6 or 8 k that would be a laugh.
Demetris

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-13-2010 03:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julio,

Barco is boasting that BOTH the "C" and "B" projectors are upgradeable to 4K, once TI issues the chips of the respective size. After all, the front end of ALL Series 2 projectors are 4K ready (and they ALL have the media block slots too).

The Barco Light engine is a pretty fast swap but Demetris hit the nail on the head...the most expensive part of any DCinema projector is the light engine. Typically 50-75% of the total cost. So what, you are going to sit that much money on the floor when you "upgrade?" I suppose if you wanted a spare, it would make sense.

Odds are, if/when TI comes out with a production 4K system, you'll just install that new projector and move the then ancient series 2 projector down to a lesser screen.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-13-2010 04:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve...

It may very well be quite feasible to rebuild a 2K light engine into a 4K light engine at the factory as a refurbishment proceedure... So a 2K light engine wouldn't exactly be used as a door stop!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-13-2010 06:57 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1.2 4K replacement chips are going to come out long before the .98 chips, so there is that to consider.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 04:12 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know when the first 4k test versions will be available?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 06:08 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam D. Chavez
The 1.2 4K replacement chips are going to come out long before the .98 chips, so there is that to consider.
Has TI signed anything!!??

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-14-2010 07:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I agree, that the first would be the larger chips...they are going to be on the larger screens. There is part of me with the wink-nudge in my statement in that I question the 4K delivery at all. However, it remains, the current leaflets have both B and C versions claiming 4K upgradeable once TI delivers the chips.

There is nothing dishonest about it too. Barco puts it back in TI's court.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2010 07:48 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Barco is the only one who speaks the truth. If and when TI makes the chips then you can upgrade. Christie thinks its a fact. When TI will not make the 4K and skip it to a higher resolution chip then that would be a laugh.
Demetris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: