Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3d projection in open air cinema

Author Topic: 3d projection in open air cinema
Jordan Tosonidis
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Jordan Tosonidis   Email Jordan Tosonidis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everybody!i am new in this forum and i must say i find this very interesting.i am facing this problem.i am the owner of an open air cinema in Greece and i am thinking of going digital mostly for the 3d part.I realize that RealD is out of the question since i need silver screen and i doubt it is weather proof.i am thinking Dolby3D or Xpand with the new ChristieSolaria CP2220(4.5KW lamp).My screen has an area of 365sq.feet.Could this work?Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 02-23-2010 12:00 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film-Tech. With Dolby 3-D you will still need a higher gain screen but not a silver screen. There are others that can explain this more. I think Xpand still requires a silver screen but not completely sure about that. On the Dolby I think the gain has to be at least 1.8 white.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 12:20 PM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kalosorises,
May I presume Cine Pallini is yours.
You are taking a real Bold and radical decision. If you'll take the financial risk, go digital for both 3D and 2D of what films are available from distributors. For the rest..35mm. I do believe that the Dolby package is best for the ocasion. I don't know who represents XpanD, but I find their glasses cumbersome for an outdoor use. You'll have mostly young careless audience in 3D.
The new Christie sounds fine and if your budget permits it go for the 4k version.
Do you use a real screen or painted wall?

Christos.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 12:32 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kalosorises ksana. Des kai to prosopiko sou tahidromio sto profile [Smile] .

I guess you met the two Greek people of the forum. Christos above and myself from Cyprus. I agree with Christos on the part of going with the Dolby 3D system. In case you have a painted wall I would suggest painting it with a special coated screen paint like for example screengoo or equivalent. You can use matt white in both Dolby and X-Pand applications. Note that for 3D ambient light is really an enemy. It would be wiser to go with a brighter projector. Your screen is very big. If my calculations are correct you have approximately 112 square meter screen!! and an equivalent lamp for 2D would be 5K. Note that 3D requires actually at least double the light for 3D application so you will need at least a 7K lamp compatible projector. You can call me for some further details if you want (see my private message to you). I would also recommend a screen with at least 1.4 gain (1.8 gain is preferable) but that would depend on the width of the auditorium. Good luck and welcome once again to the forum.
Best Regards

Demetris Thoupis

P.S: XPAND does not require silver screen

Jordan Tosonidis
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 12:50 PM      Profile for Jordan Tosonidis   Email Jordan Tosonidis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kalws sas brika.My screen is a wall 9 meter wide and 4 meter high with 4 % curve so it is not that big.It is 36 sq.meter or 380 sq feet.
There is this paint i could use and increase the gain to 1.8(paint on screen) but i don't know if it really works.Xpand from what i read has less light loses compared to Dolby 3D,but the glasses cost twice the price of dolby's.The new solaria projector is 4k ready.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2010 02:25 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have another pm. In a closed environment a 4k lamp would suffice for that size of screen. You have the enemy of increased ambient light so in reality a 6k lamp is more desirable especially if you go dolby 3d. Xpand yes is brighter but since you don't have a screen I think the ir emition for the glass sync would not work as well. There are also a lot of other parameters. I don't sleep early so you can call me to discuss in more detail.
Regards

Demetris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: