Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Audio playing slowly

Author Topic: Audio playing slowly
Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2010 02:30 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco DP100/Kodak server/Real D
Loaded a drive with a few clips, both played in 3D fine, but one sounded like it was playing at 1/2 speed, real slow. Any ideas? Believe me everybody was floored by the problem, eventually a new non-Kodak server was used and all was well. But why would one clip play fine and another not? The only difference that we knew about was that one was 6 channel PCM and the other LtRt PCM.
Anybody?

|  IP: Logged

Jussi Siponen
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2010 05:12 AM      Profile for Jussi Siponen   Email Jussi Siponen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two allowed audio sample rates for DCPs: 48 kHz and 96 kHz.

96 kHz sound played back at 48 kHz results in 1/2 speed audio. Both sample rates should work just fine, but software bugs are not exactly unheard of...

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-09-2010 01:37 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ended up bringing in another server that doesn't require generating a KDM??? I wasn't there but was told it played fine. The lab still has no idea what the problem was with the Kodak server, and neither does Kodak.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2010 12:21 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Server without KDM security [Eek!] I want 5

Olivier Lemaire
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2010 05:03 PM      Profile for Olivier Lemaire   Author's Homepage   Email Olivier Lemaire   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
gimme one too [Smile]

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2010 05:12 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do they send the trailers encrypted as well? Sounds like a lot of trouble when most trailers are already available on the web at HD resolutions ....

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-10-2010 05:33 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers do not need a license.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-11-2010 02:11 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These weren't trailers, they were clips from movies for a tribute. They needed (and had) valid keys, but once we found the clip that played slow we reloaded it and the keys stopped working for that clip. Major finger pointing, and I still haven't heard a good explanation of what happened.
I was told the server was either a Quvis or the one that went under, and will play DCI content without a key. It came from a lab in L.A., but I was elsewhere when this was going on so am not certain of the details.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: