Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » RealD designer Glasses

Author Topic: RealD designer Glasses
David Stone
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 11:13 PM      Profile for David Stone   Email David Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen or used the new RealD designer glasses snd what is the cost to the exhibitor Are they better than the current single use pairs,

Cheers,

David.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-18-2010 12:19 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to keep an eye on these (haha, pun.) in hopes that they come down in price. The main attraction for me is that they will be able to include my eyeglass prescription so that I don't have to double up on glasses.

Jussi Siponen
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2010 01:49 AM      Profile for Jussi Siponen   Email Jussi Siponen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo Laporte interviewed LeVar Burton and Brent Spiner at CES (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLtEXVnz1Qs). One them mentioned the concept of 3D contact lenses.

That might actually be doable for circular polarization (ie. RealD). The mind boggles...

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2010 02:22 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to get me one of those "Terminator" models, if for nothing else than for show. Geesh, in a few years we might actually get glasses that will fit our tiny Scandinavian heads! (Xpand does not offer very much choice...) One customer compared the one size-fit all glasses to pantyhose, one size-fit none.

I wonder... how would the idea of 3D contacts work in use? Will someone actually go and do that? And hi to Jussi, familiar face, yay!

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2010 03:38 PM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the Real D glasses to be a one size fits MOST, yet i find our older IMAX 3d glasses to be a 3 sizes fits NO ONE!

glasses will always be a logistic nightmare. I can't wait till the day where DLP manages to get an active system that projects like a hologram type effect where you won't need glasses.

Apparently Tv's are headed in that direction already, no eyewear required

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2010 05:16 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Patrick Watkinson
Apparently Tv's are headed in that direction already, no eyewear required
All the new TVs demonstrated at the Consumer Electronics Show a few weeks ago required active glasses.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-23-2010 07:08 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a very specific type of display that does not require glasses, but instead requires the viewer to stand directly in front of it. Viewers watching even slightly off center will not see 3D.

This technology will more likely be used in specialized fields. It will probably not be widespread in consumer devices. If it appears in the consumer marketplace at all, expect to see it on computers, notebooks, and other single user devices. Not Televisions.

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2010 02:01 AM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should have said pc LCD Monitor instead of tv:

review of Sharp's LL-151-3d

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2010 05:25 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know whats going on with the standard real d 3d glasses here in Sydney? Several people have mentioned to me that they are being forced to return them as they leave, one even mentioned that the one he was given/paid for was scratched and had figerprints on it? This was from a major chain, recycled without cleaning? Are there laws about such things?

One other company is now charging an extra dollar for the glasses but you can bring them back next time and not pay the extra dollar again! Please note that the glasses and surcharge were a few weeks ago all included. Now the glasses are a seperate extra on top of the 3d surcharge.

Real D now seems Real Gross here down under! Why on earth would you do this? Cinema owners greed will easly kill the 3d goldern egg with this crap!

Patrick Watkinson
Film Handler

- posted 01-24-2010 01:50 PM      Profile for Patrick Watkinson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yikkes, well in Canada under Cineplex, the real D glasses for the XL units are available individually packaged plastic and then there is a recycling container for the glasses. We play reminder splashes on screen before the show starts to remind guests to recycle the glasses after the show.

The price for 3d is more expensive than the conventional 35mm, so that’s where the costs are placed, and there is no option, you must pay it to see the show.

I prefer this approach to 3d compared to IMAX’s 3d. No “person power” is wasted for collection or distribution or cleaning or drying or counting.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-26-2010 04:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Patrick Watkinson
No “person power” is wasted for collection or distribution or cleaning or drying or counting.

"Big Box" circuits can afford to "flush the toilet" every month with the eternal fees paid to Real-D and not saving money in the long run as with Dolby 3D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: