Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Best video projector for ~$5000

Author Topic: Best video projector for ~$5000
Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 06:05 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay, i realize that $5000 won't get you much BUT what is the absolute best projector i can get for about ~$5000? it needs to fill a screen about 18' wide and 9.5' tall. fair market used stuff is considerable..

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2010 10:07 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you going to do with it?

The Sanyo PLV-80 will work with that screen size and is in your price range...resolution is 1366x768.

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 03:19 AM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Small scale indy stuff only available on DVD or blu-ray... rentals, etc..

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2010 03:25 AM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go full 1080P and get the Moving Image Technologies Image Pro HD3500. Awesome quality/bang for buck, low cost lamps with long hours, HDMI Inputs, 3500 ansi lumens (they have a 4500 one too, a range of lenses.

Give them a call and ask for Bevan. He posts here occasionally.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-20-2010 06:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MiT projector is only single-chip DLP.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep it is, you'll get lots of color artifacts on fast moving things... Prbly fine for pre-show stuff which is mostly static.

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-20-2010 01:07 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I disagree to a certain extent. I just installed one of the MIT projectors and it features a high-speed color wheel and has very few artifacts. In fact, testing with a variety of material, I only saw the "rainbow" artifact for a second or less during an intense scene of "Star Trek."

Again, to you and Steve, remember we're talking in the price range of 5k..and at that price point the MIT machine can't be beat. It is solidly built and as mentioned lamp life is long and spare lamps are inexpensive.

Edited to add: Steve is right on with the Sanyo PLV-80, it is a great LCD machine..and you can get new condition in open box units on eBay for around 3,000!! (I hope it is not against the rules to post a link for it.. HERE )

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-20-2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is good to know about the color artifacts...I will want to see it with several movies to judge it more. So far, every single-chip DLP has been very annoying to me.

As for the price range...a Sanyo PLV-80 is under $5K, 3-LCD (no rainbow)...as about the same lamp life as the MIT too and similar brightness and backed by a 3-year warranty that Sanyo pays, both ways, overnight shipping with 72-hour turn arounds.

Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-20-2010 01:16 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Steve posted during my edit..

Yes the Sanyo is a great machine, rock solid and great image..and I'll be able to give a first-hand review of Sanyo's service turnaround...I picked up a PLV-70 (pretty much same specs as the 80 but less lumens) off eBay for $700..great condition other than the red LCD is out of alignment (probably from UPS' handling when it was shipped to me) and it is in for service now as I write this.

The MIT machine has seen a lot of use already in the screening room I put in for classes and so far the faculty is raving about how great the image is.

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-20-2010 03:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know Tony!

Note, you are correct about the PLV-70 being nearly identical. The PLV-80 has 3000 lumens to the PLV-70s 2200. The PLV-80 is also HDCP compliant, the PLV-70 is not.

Steve

Jeff Else
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-22-2010 04:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Else   Email Jeff Else   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both sound like great options... If I find the rainbow effect to be minimal with the MiT i will go that route... Its funny, I swear i've still seen the rainbow effect on what must have been 3 chip DLP installations. I remember specifically having such a moment while watching "2012" on a ~60' screen. Is that even possible?

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-22-2010 06:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No...a 3-chip DLP outputs all three colors simultaneously. Now if you catch the reflection in the port, then you will get a rainbow like effect but it has to do with the three colors not being focused on your eyes at that distance.

Steve

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 01-24-2010 08:18 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, I think you'll like the MIT..but check out the deal on eBay I linked to above..the price is really good.

And to follow up Sanyo's service is indeed super. I got my PLV-70 back in less than 3 days and it performs like new. Price was reasonable too.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-24-2010 08:49 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiosity, are there any upgrade paths for older Sanyo projectors (or any)?

We have a PLC-XF40. It would be nice to make it HDMI or even 1080p by just changing out a panel. Any such luck?

Steve Guttag

- posted 01-24-2010 09:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is unlikely that there is an upgrade path for you. Sanyo HAS made upgrades for various projectors...like the PLV-WF10...there is an upgrade path to handle HDCP and suitable resolutions. Note, it was a 16:9 projector so having such an upgrade makes sense. However, the cost is pretty steep (somewhere around $1,500). The upgrade is substantial...including changing out boards inside the projector...it has to be done at the Sanyo factory.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: