Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Blu-Ray player compatible with Barco DP100 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Blu-Ray player compatible with Barco DP100
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 06:55 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After some research on this topic I am more confused than ever.

I checked the Barco DP100 specs which report that it has a DVI input which I'm guessing I can use with a Blu-Ray player HDMI output.

Is this correct or am I way off base?

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 06:57 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get a DVI-HDMI converter

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 06:59 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it does have 2 DVI inputs, but I don't think they are HDCP compliant, which means no 1080i.Haven't tried it, we use their ACS2048 for other inputs, but have never tried blu-ray into the ACS either.

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2010 07:39 PM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on what firmware and board revisions you are running. All new Barco versions are HDCP compliant and work well with a HDMI/DVI converter at 1080p. Probably best to contact your dealer to check. You also have to set a few things in a Macro to get it working.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-12-2010 11:22 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DP100 is not HDCP compliant. There may be an upgrade card for the Dp100, but I'm not sure.

The best way is to use a DCinema Scaler like the Barco ACS-2048. Set your BluRay player to output 1080i via component video. The ACS-2048 will also give you a variety of options for croping and scaling the image, which is especially useful for utilizing the DP100s optional anamorphic attachment.

Hendarto Ciputra
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 04:52 AM      Profile for Hendarto Ciputra   Email Hendarto Ciputra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DVI inputs in the DP100 are not HDCP compliant no more upgrade to it as i know of. A solution i use to playback bluray at native format is to use a $100 device like HDfury to it converts the HDMI/DVI to vga and gets rid of the hdcp. No resolution converstion only from digital to analog. You may have to use the ACSAR for the DP100 or get a low cost scaler like from Gefen.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 05:02 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All Barco projectors (current ones) can be HDCP. It is an option. Those I work on don't have this option.
We use the ACS scaler from Barco to convert the YUV signal from the blue ray player to DVI.

The acsar was not my favorit toy on the DP100. I removed them often to have the 2 DVI inputs available.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-17-2010 10:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the BARCO scaler is a little bit pricy for what Eric is trying to do. One of the smaller "fixed purpose" stand alone scalers from Geffen would suit his needs just as well and is loads cheaper.

Mark

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 10:21 AM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a link to that product?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2010 10:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ACS2048 is an excellent scaler. Not only will it output at 2K native in either 8, 10 or 12-bit (twin-link)...it will also properly format the image too, if you know how to use the Aspect Ratio, VCrop and HCrop settings. For what it does, it is an incredibly low-cost scaler.

There are indeed other scalers that are cheaper and most won't do what the ACS2048 does.

If your source has 1080 output, then the DP100 will fill the imager's height (for 16:9 and smaller ratios). However, if you have less vertical resolution and are at a greater than 48Hz refresh, it will not fill the height (no scaling by the projector in "standard processing...which is required for frequencies above 48Hz).

As for Gefen...I definitely have mixed views of their stuff. I and others have found them to be hit and miss. Some of their stuff just works...others...just don't work...so beware.

If you are looking for a box that will get computer and component (DVD/BluRay) into a 1080p form...the Extron has a box called the RGB-DVI 300

Steve

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 01:10 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Calibre has a line of DCI video processors that are quit nice. Ive had some experience with these and they are loaded with features and work great. Not sure how the price compares to the Barco processor.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-17-2010 04:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that the ACS2048 has that I haven't seen on others is full HDCP support. That is, you can plug in an HDCP device (BluRay, Cable...etc)...it will tell the device that it is a Display...it will allow you to scale it so a 2.39 ratio movie will indeed be 2048 x 857 on the DCinema projector and re-encode as HDCP to keep HDCP compliance (thus the projector must also be HDCP compliant).

It also scales really well. For those that are familiar with the Folsom ImagePro...it is a purpose built version of that with very specific outputs.

Steve

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 01-17-2010 05:05 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of equipment in my A/V rack, and the ACS-2048 is by far my favorite item. It always manages to get the best quality picture possible even out of mediocre sources.

If you do a lot of alternate content, you really should consider the ACS-2048 over lower cost less versatile units.

Hendarto Ciputra
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 09:33 PM      Profile for Hendarto Ciputra   Email Hendarto Ciputra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
guys the threadstarter asking it's compatibility with DP100 which is definetely has no HDCP hence the need to use device like hdfury and the older ACSAR with VGA input or any cheaper scaler whith DVI output that can be use as 1080P passtru

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2010 09:54 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, the ACS2048 seems to convert HDCP signals into non_HDCP signals which would be bypassing the whole purpose of HDCP.

We do have a Barco DP2000 which I believe is HDCP compliant; however, it sounds like a still need a scalar to make sure the image fits.

Thanks for all the good information, this is a bit of a learning curve from 35mm film.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: