Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 3D cinema in Spain in 2009

Author Topic: 3D cinema in Spain in 2009
Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 01:43 AM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some statistics of the status of 3D cinema exhibition in Spain at the end of 2009.

Of the almost 4000 cinema screens in Spain, 231 were 3D (including 5 Imax theaters) at the end of December. Avatar scared a lot of them into jumping to the DCI at the last moment.

Out of the 50 provinces ("states") in Spain, all but 4 had some 3D cinemas.

Some islands of the archipielagos don't have any. Same with some offshore territories in Africa.

3D systems market share is approximately:

43% XpanD
28% Dolby 3D
21% RealD (<-this includes Sony 4K's)
3% Master Image (<-but their market share is increasing shortly)
2% Imax 3D
3% Unknown (to me [Razz] )

Projector leader is NEC, followed by Christie and then Barco. Sony is a very significant player as well. Kinoton and Cinemeccanica also have some installations.

As a plus, here are some statistics for Argentina in 2009. Out of about 1000 cinema screens in the country, 34 were in 3D. This includes 3 that were inagurated on the first few days of Jan 2010 [Eek!]

73% are Dolby 3D. The rest equally divided between RealD and Master Image. Christie is the projector leader, with NEC and Barco tied in a far second place.

I think we need this Technicolor 35mm 3D thing to work out ...

|  IP: Logged

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-05-2010 04:50 AM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Julio Roberto
I think we need this Technicolor 35mm 3D thing to work out ...
Julio.

I couldn't agree more.

It's unfortunate that there aren't more demonstrations of the Tech 3D system being held, because for every week that passes is another week of less penetration. Think of the impact it would have had if the Tech 3D system was released in time for Avatar.

Your figures show that the exhibs are still extremely cautious about going 100% digi, and with the track record of digi equipment longevity, it's hardly surprising that they are so reluctant.

The next 6 months are going to be very interesting indeed.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2010 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HA! And I thought they only had bull fights in Spain... Do a survey and you'd probably find out the movie going people could care less if it's 3-D or not... [thumbsup] 3-D will go away in about 5 years...

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 09:09 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to have to disagree with 3D being over in a matter of years. I'd be willing to bet money on it staying around just like any bit of CGI has, as a mechanism to enhance certain type of story. Granted there will never be (IMHO) a romantic comedy in 3D, only a narrow part of movies have things to gain by going 3D, but go they will.

Of course I am talking from a different continent, but it is the same continent as the one who started this topic. In Finland the advance of 3D is staggering, of the 300 something screens in the country over 50 are now 3D-equipped and more installed every month. Anyone who can afford it will do it, and there isn't a RealD theater anywhere in sight, all are either Doldy or Xpand. No disposable glasses here as I hear it.

I did say five years ago that we will never go digital and film is the only thing that will work in a theater. Digital seemed to be a novelty that died quickly, some years ago there were what, all of three screens of them?

Of course, ask me five years from now I may deny ever saying so.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 01-05-2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with Elise about the future of 3-D film exhibition in theatres. A good indication is the enthusiasm the home video industry has with their introduction of new Blu-Ray players and HDTV that are capable of flawless 3-D reproduction.
As a fan of good 3-D ever since I saw my first film in the format in the fifties, I am hoping 3-D will be around forever and get better than it is now.

-Claude

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 01-05-2010 05:21 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree with Mark in this one.

As the digitalisation of entertainment product continues, so will the attention span of the consumers. This, in addition to the discomfort of the glasses, perceived headaches & eyestrain and premium pricing, will eventually fade moviegoer enthusiasm for 3D.

Additionally, the exhib's increased costs in running 3D, extra staff for glasses cleaning &tc, MUST add up to a quick recovery of outlay.

History has shown this to be true.
...and just because history is old news, doesn't mean that the lessons should be forgotten so quickly.

Reasoning behind this?
Films are still made in B&W.
Films are still made in mono audio, still made in 1:66 ratio, still shown in large rooms with an audience present.

Prediction: 3D will not disappear, but will be relegated to the file "amusing distraction"...again... in 5 years.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 07:14 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the 3D hype will die down over the next couple of years but will always be there.The Technicolor system will be interesting to see but it will have fight on its hand as the studios and distributors want the Digital change and using digital 3D to start the push to Digital.
We have 1 screen with Digital 3D and it is impressive, as 35mm has been removed from this cinema all films including ad's and Trls (2D) are screened in Digital using a Barco DP 3000 with the Dolby server. One good thing as far as I am concerened is that Digital dose look good and wouldnt say no to another being installed.Also we used the occasion to dump the Ultra Stereo JSX 1000 processor and replaced it with the Dolby CP 750.
And all is running very well. A very good install job thanks to Nick and Brenndan. [thumbsup]

Tony Gallimore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Tony Gallimore   Email Tony Gallimore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
3-D will go away in about 5 years.
quote: Ian Parfrey
History has shown this to be true.
Couldn't agree more with both of you! We've been down this road so many times, I've quit counting. 3-D is just entertainment fluff... People will tire of it within five years, maybe less. I don't really see a lot of excitement within the general public even now... so five years may be more wishful thinking than anything.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-05-2010 08:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Elise Brandt
as a mechanism to enhance certain type of story
Yes, thats the general idea... But I'm still waiting for that to happen... Excepting Imax 15/70 3-D from this statement the images are way to dim at this point in time to be considered any form of enhancment at all... Also, have you looked at the 3-D line up for 2010? What a load of crap comming out! If you haven't looked... you should!

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2010 01:31 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did just look up the release calendar and even at the threat of sounding stubborn, there are at least seven films there that I am very much looking forward to seeing myself.

I would say this is also a question of what kind of audience you have, what type of movie brings in the cash usually. Here, it's kids' stuff and Finnish films, we get those big crowds in mainstream American movies (like Avatar, LOTR, Potters etc.) only once or twice a year, rest of the year it's the regular favorites of the audience. At the same time in the neighboring city the statistics are totally different, their most watched film last year was Potter, ours was IceAge3.

We'll see in five years. I would venture a guess that in the areas where 3D and digital begin to be the norm, some theaters will make a specialty of offering film. Film does have that something that makes d-movie seem like just another big tv (and my heart bleeds for saying so, what with the money that went into the equipment). At least from the booth, that's something that will never go away.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-06-2010 04:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So are the Finnish studios producing 3-D films? If not then you really don't have much good stuff to offer... perhaps the Finnish folk are mesmerized with 3-D... that is possible. Did the last several waves of 3-D films skip past your country or were there just very limited showings of those films?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-06-2010 05:10 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Closest thing I know of I guess would be a 3-D Swedish movie we showed around during the 80's. A softcore sexy yawn comedy titled "Champagne Galop" (AKA What The Swedish Butler Saw). I don't remember the distributor, but it was an odd-one based in Sweden.

It's not Finland, but neighbours nonetheless [Razz]

Finland is a small and rich country, so it makes more sense that 3D expands relatively faster. If you have only say 500 screens in a country and each multiplex wants at least 1 screen in 3D ... well, that quickly takes up a good percentage of the total.

Different story is when you are in a poorer more populated country with thousands of screens and tons of 6-8 screens multiplexes spreaded around. Then, the single-3D-screen-per-theater, becomes a rare minority. Just the PROVINCE of Madrid has more population that the entire COUNTRY of Finland. The province of Madrid had 30 3-D screens in 2009.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2010 09:13 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually a studio is now producing the first Finnish 3D movie, I hear. It should be ready during this year... optimistic, perhaps? I have no detailed info on the project, just promises [Big Grin]

The last "waves" did undeed pass us by, the industry was nowhere near ready enough for 3D on a big scale before, nor was the marketing machine. The now-retiring generation of theater owners were sceptical about the whole idea of digitalization, but us new dogs were kids when computers and internet started, we are less wary of new technologies, and ready to try. Same thing with the audiences.

True enough, we are a tiny country, and any small change will show up as a huge one statistically. That is why we seem so affected by digi but the truth is, the distributors love this because of the money it saves (printing and shipping films is costly and on our scale, the audiences are not that huge, there's a limited amount of money involved and of course they want as much of the pie as possible) and so will promote the change. For them it's a great opportunity, more so than the theaters. Money talks the loudest, as always.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: