Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Picture resizes itself, WTH?

Author Topic: Picture resizes itself, WTH?
Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 03:35 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I apologize for not knowing the correct terminology due to huge language barrier. We've had this problem for a while and keep correcting the symptoms but can't figure out the cause. At first it only occurred in our last-installed digital auditorium but now it's both that we have.

Simply put the problem is that the lense adjustments won't stick. The digital "setup" is all Barco, I forget the projector model but still if anyone thinks this sounds familiar... I'd appreciate any input. I'll get the specifics if that will help.

Back to the problem; at first for some odd reason both flat and scope pictures went a little off from what they were adjusted to when installing the equipment. Just thin black stripes on each side of the picture, nothing the paying customer might notice but we surely do. And it got slowly worse. We tried correcting it through the masking tool (ouch) but got an advice to try the lense adjustments. And that worked, we got the picture back to what it's supposed to be, and everything worked well. Then after a week, same thing happened just out of the blue this time only with the scope, flat was still ok. This morning, the flat is all out of whack with -amazingly- both sides leaning in toward the top side.

I just have to go WTF??? before jumping up and trying, again, to fix something. Does any of you have any idea what I might be doing wrong or what on earth could be causing this? This time I truly hope someone will be able to point out to me something that I should've seen myself a month ago with any sense... I'd appreciate being made to look like fool. Please?

|  IP: Logged

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should be in the digital section, but here goes. Once you've gotten the correct size/masking set, are you storing it correctly? If not, it will stay at the settings you've entered, but if you change formats/macros it will go back to the installer's settings. If I recall, once you get the size you want, store the lens and masking files into "new" flat and scope and then edit the macros to use these "new" files. I've had this happen with 3D settings that weren't stored when installed. You'll need to have service tech access to the Communicator software to do this.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 12:31 PM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn, I thought this might be the wrong section to post this after all, thank you for noticing.

I did store the changed data correctly and it sticks for a while -week or two. The mystery here is how it might change unintentionally, and how it might change in the way nobody changes it -with the bottom wider than the top etc.

One theory was that the projecctionist, after the last show, might set a macro going (change from 2d to 3d for the next day etc.) and then shut off the machine before the transition is complete. We've already ruled this out but it seems like the only possible explanation, however thin it might be.

Kris Verhanneman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 03:00 PM      Profile for Kris Verhanneman   Email Kris Verhanneman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our support desk told us to wait 5 minutes after switching macros.
You can try a small thing to check if it's due to shutting down (you leave the projector turned on for a few days).

I know it's stupid buth often when we have troubles we try stupid things to get a hold on the source of the problem.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2010 03:39 PM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kris, I have to admit we are a bit... impatient when it comes to waiting between macros, especially me. And especially when I'm trying to fix the lense file yet again. It could be as simple as that, I do hope it is.

I shall try again to attack the resizing tool and yank the picture back in line (I'll settle for straight edges) in the morning.

Elise Brandt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-07-2010 09:36 AM      Profile for Elise Brandt   Email Elise Brandt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More weirdness.

Straight edges I got, through masking. Since the installment, nobody has touched those maskings, so how -how??- can they change? Even if some goof played with the machine, they don't have the service technician rights so they can't change anything...

I can just about understand the lense settings shifting due to impatience but not this one. I am baffled beyond speech.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: