Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Cinerama Dome Gets twin 3-D Projection video (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cinerama Dome Gets twin 3-D Projection video
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 10:26 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a Facebook video showing the installation of a second NEC projector needed to get brighter images while showing Avatar on the giant curved screen.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1267333972533&ref=nf

|  IP: Logged

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-20-2009 11:51 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I really see the tech remove and replace the xenon lamp without protective clothing and with others in his presence? [Eek!] That's not exactly setting a good example, especially in such a public venue as FB.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2009 04:15 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, no kidding. That's a big ass bulb as well. Big boom if that baby goes off.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-21-2009 07:22 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
The last thing the projectionist saw was the xenon bulb exploding.
....a truism spoken often by our own late, great John Pytlak.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2009 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So has anyone seen Avatar at the Dome? I'm going to be in L.A. for a few weeks after 1/3/10 and was saving this picture to see there, but I've been a little concerned about how it's going to look, given the Dome's notorious projection issues. The back-up plan is the lie-MAX at the Century City 15. Any reports?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-21-2009 10:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see... I lost track of how many techs there were in that video but if I'm right there was a lamp change guy(without any protection at all), a lens removal guy... a lens handling guy... at least two guys to carry it up the stairs... The narrator that liked video more then he liked 35mm film... And to top it off they moved a $80,000.00 projector on a $45.00 plastic cart... Hilarious! That whole job should have only taken two or three guys at best.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-22-2009 12:28 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sean Weitzel
That's a big ass bulb as well. Big boom if that baby goes off.

Just a classic LTI/Philips, LTIX-6000W-HEHS "Helios". "Dang!" I've had two of them fool bulbs (3000w-HEHS) experience seal loss well under warranty hours.

I've never seen a tech wear protective stuff when doing bulb changes... even though, when a "Helios" blows, with being filled more with the gas and the quartz is thicker than normal, they DO get pretty nasty when you destroy them... and that fool clamshell carrier for the LTi's that gets wrapped with the velcro strap is a total joke when it comes to safety. Both the cheap plastic covers will actually shatter along with the straps rips apart quite easily when a bulb explodes inside.

At 900hr for warranty, that complex is gonna have a good sized bulb bill from STRONG per year being that bulb has to be pulled prior to warranty hours.

Hate to see the price for that reflector - prob close to $7k being all glass - why you pull bulbs before warranty.

Unit looks like a new NEC-2000, which is DCI-2 complient.

Can't get over the design factor of the NEC: On the right side under the control panel, is the sockets for the BNC Video inputs along with other inputs, and you think that the design team of NEC would, at least, have all of that under a cover of sorts instead of just hanging on the outside of the cabinet.

Ya, looks like "too many hands in the cookie jar" - bumping into each other like that ..

-Monte

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 02:37 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just an example of too many headless chickens. I could do all that with just one assistant and I bet most of the guys here would instead of having all those lore guys each specific for a task. Most probably those guys have an ISO and are bound to follow procedures! so no one else is allowed to touch another mans' job [Smile] What was so special about that prototype base I could not understand! [Eek!] This was a type of video which states 'Look at us we suck'
Demetris

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 05:31 AM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The narrator seemed lost more like a sales type who didn't know what he was talking about. As for them ripping the whole thing down it seemed pointless. That cart was a piece of crap mainly because they didn't want to invest in actually setting up a second base or moving the base because they will just be moving that projector back down to where it came from when they find a new movie. Did anyone see the super highlight 2 in the background.

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 08:17 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The narrator that liked video more then he liked 35mm film
Yeah, because its quieter in the booth.

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 08:21 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And that was his only remark about why digital is better than film.. NOT

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another fine point is that side by side is not the best route to go for dual projector. Stacking gets the lenses closer together by a long shot. A proper stacking rack is not all that expensive to make either... about 2 grand. The Super Highlite in the background was one of the three cinerama projectors, the rest of the equipment ther is all Kinoton far as I know.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2009 08:30 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what was that remark about the Anamorphic being used when you have a long distance!!??? [sleep]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-22-2009 05:55 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, no...use a Christie and a Barco projector with the Barco on the Right side...this will get the lenses the closest!

But yeah...use an anamorphic lens for those long throws! That makes sense [Roll Eyes]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-22-2009 06:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, no reason why not to... You're right about that getting the lenses very close. I still prefer stacking method because of the smaller footprint and I feel it gets the lenses close enough together to eliminate most paralax associated artifacts... especially with a long throw like they have there.

I'd still like to see a dualin one D-Cinema projector built like the Imax GT twin rotor job with the lenses literally right above and below each other. Of course that'll never happen because companies like Christie are attempting to program us to think that single projector Real-D is better [puke]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: