Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Can Anyone Explain What SXHD is?

Author Topic: Can Anyone Explain What SXHD is?
Jeff Christensen
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Jeff Christensen   Email Jeff Christensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a multi-plex theater that opened on 12/23/06 in St. Michael MN (close to wherere I live) that had an IMAX MPX screen (42x70) with a 15/70 projector in it. Showed all the DMR films plus some IMAX originals like "Space Station 3D" .. "NASCAR3D" ... and very sucessful runs of "300" and "The Dark Knight". The in the fall of 2008 the screen went silent for many, many months (while the other screens went on without missing a beat). Could not get any information out of the people there; Then, earlier this summer (2009) they re-opened the screen with what they called an "SXHD" Super High Extreme defenition, claiming its much more powerful than the IMAX digital. And they advertised it on a "Four Story High Screen". Well, when it opened with "Transformers 2" earlier this year the picture was somewhat good quality but nowhere near the quality of the 15/70 film. They charge $14 per person to see films there now (IMAX $12 for the Dark Knight), yet there are two plexes within 15 miles that have a "Monster Screen" (35x80) and the quality is just as good. And besides the former IMAX screen was four stories high but the SXHD does not use all of it; it's a small letterbox.... which to me is not worth $14 bucks a ticket. So what the heck is SHXD al about, if any of you know?

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 11-27-2009 08:23 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this...

quote:
SXHD engulfs you in the moviegoing experience with a cutting edge, high definition digital projected on an amazing four story giant screen. With nearly 9 million image pixels (4x more than other giant screen digital theatres), SXHD truly is "THE NEXT LEVEL IN GIANT SCREEN CINEMA"

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 11-27-2009 11:03 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a film format. Moving to Video.

Jeff Christensen
Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2009 12:33 AM      Profile for Jeff Christensen   Email Jeff Christensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually it has to do with the Large Format Theatres because it is supposedly replacing IMAX in some markets and is being billed (wrongly in my mind) as being a better format than 15/70. It has nothing to do with film.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2009 08:23 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next will be SuperMegaUltra High Definition. 80 billion pixels on a 20 story screen and 1.21 jigawatts of uber-digital sound.

Eric Rice
Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 01:24 AM      Profile for Eric Rice   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Rice   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SXHD is just a term they coined for the new screen. They're running a Sony 4k D-Cinema projector and advertising it as better than IMAX and regular D-Cinema screens, though they have yet to run any 4k content on it. I liked it better when they had the IMAX system in there. I'd visit the place on a regular basis, but have only been there once since the IMAX shut down, and that was to check out Transformers 2 on the SXHD screen. I agree, the quality wasn't the greatest, being that it was a 2k film projected on that large of a screen. The sound system still sounded just as good as before, but $14 for a digital screen running mostly 2k films when I can go for less than half that price for a matinee at any other local theatre? I don't think so. That definitely is a nice theatre, but not worth it any more. It's poorly run too, it's the only theatre I've ever complained about presentation at, and I'm picky. Supposedly they actually lost the IMAX system because they weren't honoring their contract. I've also heard that the banks own the whole place.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-03-2009 12:35 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, think they're going to have to get some major wattage bulb(s) to fill that screen to look good? Or, find a digital unit that can tolerate that much heat?

..and charge up the ying-yang at the boxoffice to pay for the thing?

where's good ol 5/70mm presentations? By the time all the money's been blown on digital, 70mm could come back more cheaper..

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: