Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Non Ghost Buster or Ghost Buster (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Non Ghost Buster or Ghost Buster
Desiderio Garcia Ramirez
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2009 03:12 PM      Profile for Desiderio Garcia Ramirez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all.

I´ve a question about Master Image 3D.

Is Master Image "Non Ghost Buster" o "Ghost Buster"?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 11-26-2009 04:06 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I remember, the only system that needed a "Ghost-Busted" file is RealD.

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2009 04:50 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's "up to you". If your Master Image installation has very little ghosting (i.e. a "good" silver screen, clean filters and porthole glass, good glasses, etc) you can use the non-ghostbusted version just fine.

The system with worse ghosting performance is Real-D and the only one that "really" needs it. The others "benefit" from it too if they are displaying too much ghosting, but this shouldn't happen, specially with systems like Dolby which are 10x less proned to ghosting than RealD.

MI would be similar in crosstalk (ghosting) performance to Sony 3D or Imax 3D, which are all better than RealD, but still can ghost a little, specially with some setups/movie scenes.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-26-2009 04:57 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Desiderio, welcome to Film-Tech.

We need you to please put your posts in the correct forum. All Digital Cinema posts need to go in the 'Straight To Video' forum. The film guys get shitty seeing non-sprockety type posts in the sprockety-type forum.

Thanks.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 11-26-2009 09:35 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See? (moved)

Desiderio Garcia Ramirez
Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2009 10:04 AM      Profile for Desiderio Garcia Ramirez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We projeted FINAL DESTINY4 and it had a very high ghosting that we haven't see in other movies.
All the DCP that we receive are NGB and MI recommends NGB, but FOX in Spain provides his MI´s DCP by GB ¿?

Thanks for everything

Brendan Penny
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2009 03:38 PM      Profile for Brendan Penny   Email Brendan Penny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Master Image does not require any ghost busting.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-30-2009 09:06 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right and less money as well. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-03-2009 06:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And either type of file will play back just fine... I believe with Dolby also!

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2009 06:42 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct Dolby does not require ghostbusted content, but will happily play it.

The Stereoscopic Addendum to the DCI spec pretty much says if any one system requires ghostbusting, that's a no no.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-04-2009 09:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
That's right and less money as well. Louis

Louis,

M.I. is or was in the 30K ballpark last time I installed one... DTS was working at getting the price down a bit more. Dolby is a little over half that without sterilization machine and glasses... the cleaning machine can be had for in the
$3500 ballpark if you shop around but it's wise to still get the racks from Dolby's reccomended source. Then the number of glasses you ultimately initially purchase determines the final initial cost of the Dolby. They are about 30 bucks a pair and last 450 cycles. The glasses per cycle are at about .07 and a cleaning cycle (in Casper, WY) costs them .05 total cost... .12 is alot less cost than a pair of polarized glasses cost from M.I. which were running .75 a pair when purchased in about 1000 quantity. So in the long run Master Image actually costs more. I happen to like M.I.s simplicity and movability but there is also the need to clean the filters on the nipkow disk at least bi-weekly with a micro fibre rag... If you don't clean it eventually it gets so full of stuff that you no longer have 3-D. Proper popcorn ventallation is almost mandatory, one might also want to consoder filtered booth air if you're installing M.I., where the Dolby wheel is already in filtered air, at least in most projectors.

One thing is for certain... these will ultimately become the most expensive booth doorstops in Cinema history!

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-04-2009 11:53 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno about that...what was the price of the 4-track mag system in the '50s? And what would that be in 2009 dollars?

Then again, it could be argued that 4-track mag had a 30-year run (more or less)...digital audio on film is only in its 17th year or so.

Steve

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2009 12:14 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain exactly what ghostbusting does? I understands that it cuts down on ghosting, but how does it do that? And why is it preferable not to use it when possible?

Julio Roberto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2009 04:53 PM      Profile for Julio Roberto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In short: "ghostbusting" is the name of a technique that analyzes the pixels in a frame pair (two consecutive frames of the 48fps stream, each one representing the view from each one of the left and right eyes) and if it finds too much contrast in a pixel-pair corresponding to each image that overlap in the same point of the screen, it reduces the contrast usually by darkening the affected pixel(s) from one of the views.

You can think of it as a "smart, partial contrast reduction" function.

As a result, one of the views (from the eye pair, usually the left one), gets "distorted" with "spurious" dark(er)/bright(er) spots here-and-there.

So you don't wanna use the ghostbusting if you don't have to. But if your system produces too much ghosting, well, it's the lesser of two evils.

RealD zscreen does NOT have the sufficient polarizing performance to adequately produce a ghost-free image in a wide variety of situations, and thus, the "ghostbusting" is almost "mandatory".

Remember that studios are to stop producing ghost-busted versions of the films as the ghostbusting function is now being done on-the-fly by most servers out there automatically when you choose RealD as the 3D system in use (or activate it otherwise in the menu).

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2009 05:09 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
I dunno about that...what was the price of the 4-track mag system in the '50s? And what would that be in 2009 dollars?
According to a couple of breakdowns that I've seen from 1954, the going price was $1,500 for a set of penthouses and amps, which would be close to $12,000 today. Wiring and extra speakers could cost an extra $2,000.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: