Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DLP Cinema Trailers

Author Topic: DLP Cinema Trailers
Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2009 02:06 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that we have our server and projector installed, we want to be able to show a tag at the beginning of our shows indicating that we're screening DCI. (I know some would say not to publicise the fact, but we've always shown our digital sound tags - our audience cheers them.)

I saw that were two forms of DLP tags, the swirly colourful one and birth (the glassy cube breaking through the crusty earth). Scanning the net for copies (I did ask dlp.com but have not yet received a reply), I found them for download at Christie.

However, they were slightly different in package form. The early ones appeared as separate directories with picture and sound MXF files of 256meg and 25meg respectively for flat. These downloaded and ingested fine.

The new tags appeared in one package with only one sound file of 1.3gig. I downloaded the package and ingested the flat version OK. But the scope version failed with a uuid mismatch.

Any ideas?

They do look and sound great.
(Until our KDMs arrive for our first features next week we can only test with trailers.)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 11-18-2009 06:15 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where at Christie? I would like a copy as well.

DLP instructed me to look on the Technicolor weekly TrailMix package, but so far none have arrived with the DLP tag.

I prefer the earlier swirl version compared to the new mirror one, but I don't think it's supposed to be used anymore.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this part of their site:
http://www.christiedigital.com/AMEN/EntertainmentSolutions/
and click on the sign about downloading Christie's digital trailers.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-19-2009 10:57 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ftp://dcinema02:read0nly@ftp.christiedigital.com/

Direct link

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-21-2009 03:52 PM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I found the mismatch, but I'm not sure what can be done.
In the PKL file, the size of the video file differs from the size of the file in the package. The file is 190,271,488 bytes, while the PKL file says it is 564,293,019 bytes. (The flat version is 583,832,956 bytes.)

Any ideas?

Off topic: How does distribution of discs work in the US? It seems there's a variation here across distributors - some allow the cinema to hold on to the discs until they've finished screening, others want the disc back as soon as it is ingested.

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2009 10:19 AM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter,
In the US generally you can hold on to the hard drive until your end of run. This enables sites without library servers to switch screens as needed.
Many sites in the US have satellite delivery capability, in that case the content is on their library server ready to distribute to any screen with no hard drive involved.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2009 03:22 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone make a software player for the mac that offers playback of jp2k files, Thx.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2009 04:30 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in using the "Birth", but I see only 3 downloadable files. Is that all I need or do I need the .xml files as well?

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2009 06:35 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we opened our Barco last month there were already a few DLP trailers on it, along with some RealD and Doremi 3D clips. The technicolor TrailMixes have some 2D and 3D TDC trailers as well.

Peter Castle
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2009 03:21 AM      Profile for Peter Castle   Email Peter Castle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,
Download the entire folder (create one on your drive and call it whatever you want) for Birth - but not the scope video as it is too short and won't work.
When you plug a USB drive into your server it will generate the appropriate package.

In Australia, we don't seem to have a trailer service - we seem to have to ask each distributor for trailers.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2009 06:30 PM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just had a software upgrade done on my Qube and had all the drives replaced , as a result lost all my content.

with the lack of DLP trailers i decided to run apple trailers (HD) through my preshow server but i now dont have any "put 3d glasses on" tags does anyone know if these tags can be downloaded anywhere?

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 12-27-2009 03:27 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just downloaded them -

Same problem with "birth" on scope. It seems the file they have on the FTP is incomplete.

The new 2009 Christie trailer is Awesome!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: