Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » &20K$ video projector recommendations?

Author Topic: &20K$ video projector recommendations?
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2009 11:11 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're in the final stages of the renovations and it's time to start locking down our "ancillary" equipment. One item we'll be purchasing is a fixed installation video projector. We have a 107' throw to a 24' wide screen. The screen is fixed width, but next spring we'll be replacing this with a fixed height screen with a 38' width.

So, I need to get a projector bright enough -- and a lens with enough zoom range to handle both screens. I think I'll need something with a throw ratio of 2.8.

I'm considering a Sanyo PLC-XF47 with a zoom lens. I've rented the PLC-XF46 in the past and it seemed to do a pretty good job, though a bit dark.

Any thoughts/recommendations on currently available projectors? My budget for this caps out at $20K.

I would like to have a built-in mechanical shutter, but I can always fabricate an external mechanical damper with a remote switch.

-David

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-13-2009 08:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming that you will be using this for rental screenings of video material and for Powerpoint-style computer presentations.

For that, I'll plug the Panasonic PT-D7700UK. It may be a bit out of your price range with a lens, and it may not be quite bright enough for your large screen, but it does produce a nice picture, has a mechanical douser ("shutter"), and has a variety of input cards available. There is also a network card available (the functionality comes along for the ride on the HD-SDI card) that provides a web interface to the settings and allows the picture to be tweaked during a screening. It will also do 24P HD natively.

I have used previous generations of Sanyos (XF45, etc.) and they are good as well, but LCD seems to be better suited to Powerpoint stuff, while DLP looks better for video (to my eyes, anyway). Older Sanyos do not have mechanical dousers, but the new ones might. You say that the Sanyo that you rented was dim--did you have all four bulbs turned on, or just two?

Note that the throw ratio for you will not be just one number--you will need to get a zoom lens that can accommodate (at least) both 4x3 and 16x9 images. Ideally, you would want to be able to fill the screen with 1.85 and 2.35 frames as well; hopefully you will not be between lens sizes.

Another item to consider would be a video scaler. These can help tremendously in a multi-format show (shorts program, etc.). I can recommend the Folsom (Barco) Image Pro HD for its image quality, although the user interface is not great.

If you want a "cheap" video projector and will be doing more computer stuff than video, the Sony VPL-FX52 (and -FX51 and -FX50) is really not bad. The long-throw lens works in most theatres, but I don't think that it is long enough for 4x3 with your current (smaller) screen.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-13-2009 01:29 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High-Lumen LCDs have very poor black levels, and the panels wear out fast. I'm not a fan of single-chip DLP for large audiences, but for presentation and occasional video/DVD/BD/gaming, it might still be adequate.
As such, take one of the Panasonic DLP units, I'd suggest.

- Carsten

Todd McCracken
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-18-2009 03:09 PM      Profile for Todd McCracken     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.christiedigital.com/AMEN/Clearance/

http://www.christiedigital.com/NR/rdonlyres/78F3F61A-3605-4F82-B7F0-E23DA1FCF3CE/0/ChristieClearancePromo_BP_Oct2009.pdf

You could always check out the Christie clearance items, though you have to call for pricing.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-20-2009 03:44 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh, the Christie list is interesting.

The video projector is basically for a couple of things: pre-show tags, and DVD/Blu-ray projection for titles not available on 35. These generally come into play with theatre rentals and some indie/student films, as well as repertory titles without circulating prints.

-David

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 12-08-2009 08:34 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Experience has taught me that the minute a decent video projector goes in the booth of a non-commercial venue, there will be this powerful undertow of bean-counting-itis.

You will have an uphill battle trying to fight your programmers wanting to use video rather than film. No doubt there are times when the only available format of a title will be on DVD. And you will use that video source and it will work and most people will not complain. And since you did you homework and spec-ed the best vprojector you could get within your budget, the picture will look passable, even relatively decent, no doubt. BUT, unfortunately that very success will inevitably lull them into wanting to use video instead of film more and more often, especially when they can save $50-80 bucks on shipping for every engagement and well as not having to hunt down multiple film distributors -- with one phone call they have access to multiple studios via Swank or other non-theatrical sublicenese.

It becomes almost impossible for them to resist, at least for the majority of non-theatrical operators. If you are lucky and your org has people who understand the difference between film and video, they may actually stick to their guns and not go over to the Dark Side and use video sources only when film is not available or of acceptable quality.

But be prepaired....it's a slippery slope.

Jack Theakston
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-08-2009 09:58 PM      Profile for Jack Theakston   Email Jack Theakston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank's right. As soon as the money people see the breakdown sheet for a digital show, it's over for film. If they're smart, and understand the value of film presentations, they'll be less tempted to go that route. Unfortunately, most performing art centers I know of are NOT run by film people, and the boards that run these places generally have a collective IQ to that of toothpaste.

Choose wisely.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-09-2009 12:05 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, me and my wife are the only people involved. Oh, and my mom, who is employee #1. [Wink]

The video projector is primarily for pre-show, rentals, and the occasional classic or silent that simply isn't available any longer.

We'll be doing things like the Manhattan Short Film Festival, which is only distributed on DVD.

-David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: