Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » What is the logical choice in Digital investment? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What is the logical choice in Digital investment?
Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2009 01:52 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the logical choice in Digital investment.

First of all the equipment is priced very high. A computer can be puchased in less than 1K. What makes Digital Cinema servers so special than require insane amounts of money?

Digital Projectors will be always evolving. Now we are moving to 4K and I doubt 6K or 8K are not around the corner. In what do you invest? In a 2K, in a 4K or should you wait?

As an equipment dealer and installer of course I embrace new technology and urge clients to invest but the whole situation does not leave any logical choice for small individuals. Big chains might be benefiting in the end for various reasons which perhaps are not so significant, but I doubt that equipment quadruple the amount of 35mm in the total would justify and make a logical choice. Of course Digital cinema offers a lot of benefits and does make running a booth monkey easy which is what most exhibitors want. Has the quality reached 35mm quality? Is it as good? What is the logical choice in the end?
Demetris

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-12-2009 06:06 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Demetris Thoupis
What is the logical choice in Digital investment.
Don't do it.

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 07:09 AM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd wait for an *affordable* 4K.

Regardless of the silly technological arms race that is going to ensue, 4K should give plenty of good use, assuming the projector is well-manufactured, into the future.

Content isn't going to follow the same degree of exponential growth that projectors and digital cameras will. Most movies are being finished at 2K.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-30-2009 09:06 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The goal isn't long term use. I see "upgrades" as the only path to profitability for the suppliers. . . .especially "mandatory" upgrades. If you can't run first run product on a machine it becomes useless; not even able to be sold USED! Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-30-2009 09:09 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would wait until either a) the economics work; b) the quality is demonstrably better than the best that 35mm film can offer; or c) the material that you want to show is only available for D-cinema.

I can't see how items A or B apply at this time, but C might if you want to show the newer 3D material (Technicolor's 35mm 3D system notwithstanding).

Wait five or ten years and see what happens. No doubt there will be significant changes and improvements in that time.

In any case, [dlp] is about as good an "investment" as buying a new car (i.e. the value only goes down from the moment you buy it). Buy it because you need it or want it, but not because it's a good investment.

(Related questions: is there any true DCI equipment that is available for purchase now? Has an SMPTE standard based upon the DCI guidelines been created yet?)

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-30-2009 09:38 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ask yourself this question:

1) Your theater with the best state of the art 4K DLP system that money can buy.

2) The AMC Marple theater in Springfield, PA with their ten 35mm projectors that were installed when most people were running Windows 3.1 on their 386 computers. Their state of the art network operating system there at the time was Netware 3.12.

3) The Everett Theater in Middletown, DE with two Simplex E7s that were installed USED in the 1940s.

Which theater will have projectors that are obsolete first?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark is that a trick question [Roll Eyes]

[Big Grin]

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 11:25 AM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a stereotype, but why are most Europeans and computer geeks so eager to except the latest and greatest as better, tests notwithstanding?

What matters to me is dynamic range, line pairs per millimeter/inch, and long-term lifespan.

Digital doesn't currently do well with any of these three factors, especially for scope movies.

There are a lot of faults I find with 35mm, but it is very very very intuitive, and I don't have to pay for its manufacture.

Digital print credits aren't enough to solve my three dilemmas with the technology.

When something better comes out, I'll cry a little, have a stiff drink, and disappear for a week, but when I return I'll acknowledge it. I don't get peope that say digial is better now. Side-by-side, same movie, it really isn't.

I saw "Twilight: New Moon" in 35mm side-by-side digital. Digital had better noise (less grain), but worse color, worse resolution. Granted as a film-shot movie it is somewhat biased in film's favor, but with the digital intermediate step not so much, but still it shows a lot to be left desired on digital's end.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-30-2009 12:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Karl Borowski
but worse color, worse resolution
was that on a silver or matt white....kinda of a big differene on the results.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-30-2009 01:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Karl, where did you see that? I am noticing MANY installers (particularly the "drop it in and be gone the next morning" guys) are skipping all of the proper alignment and calibaration steps. The difference may not be noticeable to the run-of-the-mill patron or corporate bean counter who just wants to advertise digital projection, but it IS noticeable.

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 03:19 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, you are right that a lot of DLP installers don't bother to eliminate keystoning, proper focal plane alignment with the viewing screen, etc., etc., but so did a lot of the guys that installed film projectors from the 1990s to the present day.

Improper alignment is not a solely digitla problem.

Monte, you are right I saw the movie projected, digitally onto a silver screen compatible with 3D viewing, not a standard matte white screen. For a 2D movie on a 3D screen, does resolution take a big hit though? I noticed a sheen, but not much else in terms of a resolution loss.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-30-2009 06:14 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Karl Borowski
For a 2D movie on a 3D screen, does resolution take a big hit though
It's like turning the contrast up all the way on a TV since it gives the image a "metallic" look instead of a natural look if reflected from a matt white screen.

Karl Borowski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2009 06:38 PM      Profile for Karl Borowski   Email Karl Borowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, you are right that that was (is) bothersome. I guess I have just gotten used to the silverised 3-D screen in the DLP auditorium (we only have one).

However, despite the sheen, I was still able to judge the movie objectively.

I personally find the matte white screen distracting too, though. I am able to see the imperfections clearly when I am focusing movies.

They show up as rectangular patterns, like rectangular blocks, when looking through the focus binoculars.

Optimally, I would want a perfectly-glossy, evenly-white screen if I were to have my own personal theatre. . .

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-01-2009 02:44 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Search Function
Search By Member Name: Karl Borowski « Public Name

The user you entered either does not exist or does not have any current posts.

» Please use your browser's back button to return.

[Big Grin]

James B Gardiner
Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2009 06:50 AM      Profile for James B Gardiner   Email James B Gardiner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going digital for cinema is not really up to cinemas.

Yes in some ways it's not perfect, however, all production goes through some type of DI and as such, a DIGITAL process being graded on a DCI projector. Its what the director makes his decisions on.

Going digital for production is a matter of economics more then anything else. Its evolution of the process of making a film.
It allows films to be made that never could have been or more time to be spent on more important areas such as story line.

Film, is becoming a rounding error in the visual reproduction of what the director sees in his grading suite using some type of digital display.

Digital is the evolution of the medium. It will be, in the future, the only format offered that is commercially viable. This does not mean you need to jump all the way in now, but you should be dabbling in it by now if our serious in my opinion.

Film is VERY old and is refined to an amazing degree. Its a great technology. Its just a shame that forces be it economics or environmental (Redution in consumables etc). Landfill full of film is something we need to fix just as much as the global warming issue.

Give digital 20 years of evolution and I expert you would be happy with it. It is still quite young really.

But I do agree that the technology is a bit over the top in complexity and its nuclear bomb grade security. This is the core of the costs. A paranoid Hollywood could be blamed for this but it is something we do need. Probably just not as full on.

In real terms, as some one who has worked in development in other areas, we are actually doing OK in terms of costs. If I compare tech of similar complexity in other fields, DCI tech is super cheap comparatively. Tho the life span is a "?".

James

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: